When do your kids write their letters to Santa?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

redfairy

Premiere Member
May 23, 2008
Utah
I put this in here because I believe Santa is part of the Christmas Magic. ;-)

Anyway, so when do your kids write their letters? I don't have a set day or time, which usually means we write them during the second week of December. My SIL thinks that's pushing it, but it's never really backfired on us before. I also have a friend whose kids write them the week before Thanksgiving. So I guess it's really a personal preference? Or is there a set "rule" or deadline when a letter must be mailed? Just curious.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
For some reason I've had a really hard time getting DS7 to write his letters-I think it's personal preference. I know people who attend Santa claus parades and visit with Santa and they have their children give Santa their letters then. I think I may have the Elves bring some special stationary from the North pole; they can give it to the kids with instructions to send their letters no later than______. Good question, redfairy! Thanks! :skate:

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
The past few years I have had them write letters on Veteran's Day. I know...weird day :confused: , but they are out of school, it is mid-November and it's closing in on Christmas. I tell them that once they send their letter they can not change or add anything. It gives me time to find the "must have" gifts without the dreaded last minute changes. It has worked fine so far. I know many people actually mail their letters or take them to the mall & put them in Santa's mailbox. I "mail" them for the kids once they head off to school the next day so that they will have them in years to come ;-) . I write the year on the envelope & file it away.

Bren :package:

redfairy

Premiere Member
May 23, 2008
Utah
Bren said:
I "mail" them for the kids once they head off to school the next day so that they will have them in years to come ;-) . I write the year on the envelope & file it away.

Bren :package:

What a great idea, Bren! I think I'll try that!

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
I have to admit ... I write a couple of them for myself.. :flower:
we have some santa postoffices who send back the cutest letters I´ve ever seen..and I love getting them back.. they always makes something special about it.. like adding a favorite cookie recipe..or last year a craft instruction for making snowflakes .. and the best thing.. all this letters are for free.. even the one which came back from the Northpole.. written by Santa himself.. and it was written in English...perhaps it´s something for your kids?

Santa Claus Nordpolen
Julemandens Postkontor
DK-3900 Nuuk

you only have to send your kids letter to this adress and a very cute letter will come back..and it´s free...

I mostly write to him begin november ..and I always got an answer before christmas... :skate:

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
jackfrosty said:
I think I may have the Elves bring some special stationary from the North pole; they can give it to the kids with instructions to send their letters no later than______.

This sounds a brilliant idea Jackfrosty.

:haha:

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Usually the first or second week of December. My daughter is still young, and doesn't really expect Santa to bring the exact gift she asks for, and we also ask her what she is going to be asking Santa for, so it does help. :skate:

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
jackfrosty said:
I think I may have the Elves bring some special stationary from the North pole; they can give it to the kids with instructions to send their letters no later than______. Good question, redfairy! Thanks! :skate:

Jackfrosty- great idea for the elves- could be the very first thing the elves bring!

I think a special day for the letter writing is a great tradition to start. My DD turns 3 this year and this will probably be the first year we actually do (dictate?) a letter to the MAN. I will put some thought into this to start the tradition off! I think I actually have a little felt envelope/pouch that says "Letter to Santa" on it- I think you are supposed to put it on the tree or something. I will have to dig it out and relook at it. Maybe I could have the elf show up with the pouch and them have them "deliver" it back to Santa or something... HHHHHMMMMMMMMM....

I also love the idea of saving/dating and keeping the letter for kids later Bren!

Also- hollybow- I wonder how long it would take to send the letter from the states and get it back in time for Christmas? Any ideas?

christmas3

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Oh my......we write ours in October. I have told my kids that Santa hears from all the children in the world and we need to get ours in early. After they wrtie their letter to Santa they CAN NOT change their minds. If they come up with something else that they really want they will have to tell their grandparents. My kids are DD15, DD10 and DS6. When they were younger we did not write them so early because it seemed easier, but as they have gotten older and what they wanted is sometimes harder to get we have started writing Santa in October so I have plenty of time to get it.

Christmas3
:grin: :grin: :grin:

(I have previewed this and my smileies do not have on their Santa hats)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My DD gets hers and her little brother's started in July (because Mommy has Christmas recipes on the brain) and then does final edits around Thanksgiving.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Usually about mid November. Our post office puts an ad in the local paper stating that they are now delivering to Santa. The head postmaster that has been their for years reads and personally writes back to each child then sends kids letters back to parents. As soon as November rolls around the kids are looking for the announcement in the paper.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I like the idea of doing it early and having a tradition date- for us if it is not listed it may not get done- hmm thinking maybe Thanksgiving weekend when all the ads come out.

This will be first year we will probably have a list up until now DD5 only wanted one toy but now anything she sees she wants :thud: so it will be interesting list.

knl81

Retire Member
Aug 9, 2008
This is also very difficult for us as DS (7) would just rather go tell Santa what he wants. I know there are many different options for Letters from Santa. In our area (Ohio) I use someone who charges $6.00 a letter. I am willing to pay this since I like her work. She also has "Good Certificates" That she will send also for $1.00. I have not gotten these before but am thinking that I might this year to leave under the tree for christmas morning.

Here is her website:
http://www.bkkreations.com

As far as when we start attempting our letters and to see Santa, I think this year we are going to try a little closer to Thanksgiving and the first of December. Our oldest always likes to slip in extra stuff at the last minute.