WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT IDEAS NEEDED.........

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CrysZ

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Northeast PA
:confused: If you were invited to a white elephant Christmas Party (uni-sex) - What gift would you take for $20.00 or less and how would you wrap it up ??????? This is a mix of ages. :confused:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
white elephant Christmas Party

I know this may seem like a stupid question, I have heard the term before, but what is a white elephant party? :huh:

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Is it supposed to be a funny gift or one that is useful? Our supper club always does a really funny (ok, sometimes it's downright risque) gift exchange. I can give you lots of ideas if you want to be funny.

I have participated in a few where the gift was actually useful. A mini set of screwdrivers is good for guys and gals, page-a-day calendars, mouse pads, etc...

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I think a stuffed Christmas stocking would be a fun White Elephant gift. Full of goodies and puzzle books maybe a Christmas movie or CD. You could pick a theme even.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Get a $20 gift card from a local shop, fast food, Wal-Mart or a gas card. Then wrap it in 20 boxes, each one gift wrapped. Make the last one very pretty. You might put the card on a brick so the box is heavy.

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
The multiple box idea is great! I will definitely steal that one this year.

CrysZ

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Northeast PA
:friendly:

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful ideas.....

A white elephant exchange can be a funny gift, useful gifts or something that you don't want any more. We buy a useful gift that is new and for either sex.

In my area it's also called a Dirty Santa and I know some call it a Secret Santa. Everyone has their own version of how to play the game when you exchange.

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
My company used to do this every year, and then one year at a yard sale I bought (in anticipation of this) an Arkansas Razorback hat...it's hard plastic, shaped like a pig, and is a HUGE hat! I was so disappointed when we stopped playing that game...I think it would have been hilarious to see someone open that and then try to get rid of it! :rotflol:

Maybe I just have a weird sense of humor. :huh:

Anyway, one year I took some candlesticks and they were a big hit. Other popular items were boxes of candy and gift cards. I always tried to wrap something so that it didn't look anything like what it really was. I put the candlesticks in a giant box full of packing peanuts, at the very bottom. I wish I'd thought to put something heavier in the box with them, that's a really good idea!

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I have been to white elephant parties. I think the strangest thing
I got was a green one panel curtain.
Two years ago for our party, I was getting rid of some stuffed Christmas bears that I had. I wrapped them in a large plastic green bag that I tied. At that party you came up and you got to choose your gift. I kept watching and no one wanted the dark green bag :haha: They all thought it was trash. Boy were they surprised when the host opened the bag and discovered there were five stuffed bears in excellent condition.
:grin:

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
We play this with our supper club every year. Since we know each other very well, we can be a little silly. One of the funniest gifts was a pair of undies that were red velvet and had white fur trim! I think they came from WalMart. Hilarious (in the right crowd!).

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
On my fathers side of the family we do this for adults every year the thing that we have the most of is scratch off lottery tickets and that is what everyone tries to get also.

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
We do this at my office party every year and at DH's office party. There's always a mix of useful or desireable items and funny items. You have to have a mix to make it fun and to encourage "stealing." There's almost always a funny pair of undies or boxer shorts (one year it was gold lame). We've seen singing holiday stuffed animals, ornaments, holiday ties, socks, etc. Bottles of wine are very common. We've re-gifted unwanted holiday decorations at these also. Big Lots I've found is a good source for inexpensive gag gifts.

Last year I came up with a really funny idea. It was for a party where I knew the political leanings of almost everyone there, so I found pictures of certain politicians on the internet and blew them up and printed them and framed them in some old frames that I didn't want anymore. Then I wrapped them up very nicely. You should have seen the look of horror on the face of the recipient when she opened them up!

At my office party, someone always brings a starbucks travel mug with a bag of coffee or starbucks gift card. This is always a big hit and gets stolen several times.

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
Our white elephant parties are always stuff you don't want from your own house. I usually end up giving an old CD. Sometimes I try to find a funny one like Brady Bunch Christmas Album or something like that. It's pretty funny when the same gifts start showing up every year, like Bridal Bingo...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
java elf said:
It's pretty funny when the same gifts start showing up every year, like Bridal Bingo...

Grab up that Bridal Bingo this year. Then next year fill the box with something exciting instead of the bingo game. If you wrap the gift, wrap it in clear paper with pretty ribbons. Of course you have to make sure the person stuck with the Bridal Bingo gift opens the box in front of everyone else.

CrysZ

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Northeast PA
:skate: Hello all, Just wanted to let you know that I decided to make a money tree, I put ones and fives on the tree along with some scratch off tickets.....

I used a plush, tree that I found at the dollar store and added some red bows and $20.00 to it. The tree looks great............

I hope the recipient is happy with it.

Thank You all for the suggestions they were great!

HaPpY hOlIdAyS!!!!!!