Wii Bowling League..Need help

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Oh, what fun!!!!!

When my DKs were in a league, 3 games were bowled, and their individual scores were added together to form the team average. Most couples I know who bowl in a couples league have the same rules...of course, it gets all complicated with handicaps and such. :confused:

But I would think 3 games in a night with the couple's ind scores added together for a team score would be great. If they aren't in couples you could form teams or just do individual scores for 1 winner of the night.

Have fun, Terry! What a great idea!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Just call up a bowling alley to find out the "rules", then adjust them situation. I love the Wii bowling league idea. I haven't played on a bowling league since the 70s, sorry I'm so out of date.

You could play one game, women against the men too.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
You typically have two or more teams playing against each other, each bowling their own 10 frames of games (like pattycakes said, three is a good number). At the end of the night, you average the team member's scores together to determine which team is in the lead. You can also average each individual's scores together to determine each person's individual averages (so the person can see how they've improved, and to determine handicaps, if you want to do that).

For fun, you can have little prizes (in league, you get patches or trophies if it's a special tournament) or special titles for certain achievement markers, like "High Average" or "High Game." When I was in the league, you also got individual awards for beating your own best game -- like playing 160, 200 ... 240, 260, and the like. That gives each person an individual as well as a team motivation.

I like Ahorsesoul's idea to call a local alley for a brief overview. Otherwise, you can browse here: USBC Official Rulebook.

If there's a night when you tie or want to speed through a game, you could play this way:

"The Baker System is a modified format consisting of teams of two or more bowlers.

a. All team members follow each other in order, each bowling a complete frame, until a complete game is bowled.

b. Ten frames are combined to calculate a team game."

I'd forget about adding handicap to the game because it's complicated. Besides, you can't even calculate the handicap until you've established an average (either from a previous season or after a few games into the season...), so might as well skip that step. I'd just bowl the three games (or depending on how many people you have and how long you want to spend bowling, you could switch that up), average out the team and individual scores (and keep a record near your Wii for people to peek at and watch their own progress), and have fun.

I knew someone here would know this!!!! Thanks so much all of you....I am getting so excited. We are planning on doing this once a month, right now at my house because I have the Wii but one of the girls is already talking about getting one for herself so we will then have another house to go to.

I am planning on having dinner for everyone before we bowl....I will usually just have snacks but for the first night I thought I would make it special.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
That sounds wonderful! The Wii is full of fun and such a uniting force -- and for all kinds and ages of people, too! I hope you and your friends have a great time. :flower:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I love this idea, TerryLee! We have a wii also, and even though we do play with the kids, I've never thought of doing an adult tournament...going to have to think this one through as we are having our monthly gamenight at my house in May.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Yay! :party: I'm glad. Good luck on your future nights (and to others planning to host leagues, too).