Winter Storm...what do you stock up on?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Things I like to keep stocked up on incase of bad weather is all the fixings for homemade Chili, a roast beef and a roaster chicken in the freezer. I love to make a nice and hearty meal when it snows. Also I make sure all my baking supplies are stocked too as well as milk, bread, pancake mix, eggs.

Also must have plenty of TP, candles, water, flash light and batteries. We have a gas grill outside and 2 tanks of propane gas. I make sure we at least one full tank.

We have had a couple ice/sleet storms over the past few years with the power going out for a couple of hours. We are thinking about buying a small generator just incase.

We also have plenty of board games that we can play with the whole family.

At Home & On The Road

Something not yet mentioned – We keep a hand held radio scanner with utility frequencies programmed. By listening to them, one gets a pretty good idea of when power/gas/phone, etc services will be restored. By knowing the names and locations of substations, etc. in advance, one will always know where crews are working. Never hurts to listen to police, fire, and medical frequencies to be in the know either!

And speaking of battery powered broadcast radio, make sure to know what local station(s) are utilized by government agencies during times in advance of emergencies. Many large cities even have their on transmitters to go on the air following a crises. Do you know where to tune? Make sure you know the stations when travelling as well!

Always remember too that those trusty battery powered NOAA weather radios are a very good source for emergency messages. In the event of prolonged events, needful information is broadcast on a localized or national basis with emergency instructions and information. The catastrophic event need not be weather related. You may have even heard Amber Alerts on your weather radio. The term “Weather Radio” is synonymous with “All Hazards Radio.” NOAA frequencies may be programmed into radio scanners as well.

Summation: NOAA radio and most AM/FM stations are affiliated with the Emergency Alert System. We all are aware of the tones and testing of these systems when they interrupt our normal programming. But, would we instinctively know where to tune if something happened?

Useful web pages relating to radio during emergencies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/allhazard.htm

Travelling? Be sure to know where to tune! Know in advance the frequency(ies) to tune that are noted on blue informational road signs. Most stations will be in the AM band just above 1600 KHz (extreme upper end of the dial) or just below 560 KHz (extreme lower left end of the dial). Many National Parks & Tourism Agencies will provide non emergency traveler information on these low powered transmitters as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_advisory_radio
http://www.theradiosource.com/articles-news-ears-across-america.htm
http://www.theradiosource.com/articles-news-ears-across-america.htm#AL

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PREPROGRAMMED BUTTONS FOR TRAVELERS ASSISTANCE TRANSMITTERS ON THE AM BAND BEFORE YOU NEED THEM!

The last thing you need is to fumble with the radio dial while driving! I recommend keeping 520 KHz on the first button to the left and 1630 KHz on the last button on the right. If the station you wish to tune is above or below those two, you will have an easy starting point from which to select your “search” button to find the station along your route. Most of the stations in the areas I travel use 1610 KHz, so I have a dedicated button for it as well. ALWAYS know in advance! Those blue informational road signs are not just for looks.

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Our area is always good for 2 or 3 Shut-Down-The-Town storms each winter. Last year we were pretty much shut down for 2 weeks before Christmas. Took the entire neighborhood to orchestrate UPS/FedEx deliveries 2 days before Christmas because the trucks couldn't get in.

We are campers and big bulk shoppers so for the most part we are pretty good to hunker down for a good while if need be. We do not yet have a generator, but it is on the wishlist.

DH and I have given each other several Storm Preparedness items for Christmas over the years. We have electic flashlights, hand-crank flashlights, the hand-crank radio etc. I'd like to get a battery charger for cell phones and my laptop computer.

Lots of great posts on this thread. I'll add a few more items:

Cold & Flu Meds -- this is a biggie for us this year, so I mention it again.
Air Card - for connection to the internet via the cell phone lines.
Pedialight/Gatorade
Dog Food and Biscuits
Wool Socks & Thermals for the kids
Car charger for the laptop
Empty milk jugs filled with water and frozen in the big freezer to buy time should the power go out.
An old Fashioned Metal bucket (w/ a plastic cup) -- for hot bucket baths.
Aluminum Foil - for packet cooking

AND we all take showers, do all the laundry, gas up the cars and fill the tubs when there's a storm a'comin'!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cindylouwho had a good point be saying to always have the car fuelled up. A few years ago we had to evacuate due to a bushfire threat in our town. Thank goodness that my DH keeps the vehicles in good running order as we really needed our car that day.

We also have important papers, birth certificates, passports and insurance papers in a plastic folder by the front door so if we have to leave we can grab all of our ID very quickly.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just went to the pharmacy... got occiciloccynum (??), 1 package 6 boxes of kleenex, vitamin C... we're all ready. (and I got 2 bonus Zen candle kits free!!... )

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
Hi everyone,

This thread is really what I needed. We have more trouble with ice than snow here, too. But, there are reports of a colder winter, and I like to be prepared. People here get so crazy before a possible storm, and our worse ones seem to be the ones that aren't predicted. I have the beginnings of most of the mentioned items. I just need to get more.

The only thing that I could think to add is comfortable hats for everyone in the house. They say most of the heat comes out of the head and if you have to go days without heat, it would seem that you would definitely want something comfortable to sleep in if needed. Also, those fingerless/ or thin gloves seem like a good idea so that you could easily play cards and other games without feeling clumsy.

A gas stove and cell phone charger is a must.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Since we had a MAJOR Ice storm this year(Started Jan 27) this topic is quite interesting to me. We were without electricity for 6 days, some people were without for weeks. When the ice got so heavy on the trees the limbs were breaking it sounded like bombs going off. In Truman Ark which was also hit a limb fall on the police chief and killed him.

We had canned food, snacks, water, batteries, candles, car charger for cell phone, my portable police scanner which also has weather on it, battery power radios, first aid supplies, blankets & warm clothes, as well as TP & soap. My DGD would get ansy at night when noone was here but she and I because her mom & papa(city work worked overtime) were at work.

We made it through it but I'd rather have a snow storm any day if I had my choice.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
We get storms here in the northeast some can be nasty so i keep plenty of batterries,canned foods,breads and candles as we also have lanterns as we have used them for camping,and propane for cooking stove,i usually have the pantry stocked anyway but,during the winter i keep everything stocked.:stocking:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta...where do you live at in S Jersey? I am in the cherry hill area outside of Philly. We have had those ice storms also....sooo pretty, but scary!!

Kelly

I am in Pennsville, about 45 minutes south of you. I can see the Delaware Memorial Bridge from my house!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
It's nice to meet someone that's close as most are from other states which it's nice hearing about their weather and family lives.I'm about 2hrs from vermont which i try to go there especially in the fall and have been there during the winter and it is beautiful.Living here you learn to be prepared as this weather can change so quickly and they are saying we're in for quite a winter this year.I'll have to make sure my outside christmas things are set before we get any snowfall and or frost so i can stake my animated things in the ground.:sleigh:

Woman

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fallsington, Pa
winter inventory thread?

Could you please direct me to zchristy's winter inventory thread that you mentioned.

thanks WOMAN

christmas_babe24

Retire Member
May 23, 2009
Wales, UK
We don't tend to get many ice storms/ big snowfalls here but where I am based in South Wales Uk is in a valley with 3 roads and if its very cold - two of the exits are up very steep hills and the other road has a very steep mountainside next to it that is prone to mudslides so on a very cold day after a lot of rain we can be stuck in our village if there's been a slide and the roads are too icy. All the buses stop etc as they cant reach us.

However in Mach we did have a lot of snow that stopped all deliveries etc to us too so best to be prepared. I do have a spare room - its a junk room but the last tenent used it as a pantry - until boyfriend ripped the shelves out - (i will never forgive him for that!) but I do keep a stock of spare things around our small flat. The dog always have a stock on mixer/food but I do have a box with a few bags of rice in incase he runs out and I add veggies to it for him.

We keep tinned items (beans/spaghetti/soup) pasta, tinned veg, Smash, tea, coffee, sugar, powdered milk, bread flour, yeast, baking soda, hot chocolate, and I also tend to stock up on discounted items too and put them in the freezer - like pies/sausage rolls/pastys etc when they are reduced in work (normally 20p at end of night) so they are kept and used too.

WE have lots of blankets about and within reach in case its cold, also make sure to have a supply of tea lights too for light but boyfriend makes larger candles so that handy too. Also hot water bottles and rice bags are replaced and checked/remade every winter and used in our beds. Plenty of batteries about, and a fully stocked medicine cabinet.

For entertainment there are plenty of books and games that we play, ben has plenty of toys he enjoys playing with too.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
RadioJonD ... I like the 'calamity kit' on the same page. A lantern would be great - not just a flashlight + a crank radio.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I can't remember on any real "hard" winter/ice storms in the city where I live, but nevertheless I always have a stock of food (canned food, snacks, water etc) and other equipment (eg candles, batteries, small radio, first aid kit, etc) at home - you never know what happens...

Chilli

CherylOK

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
NW Arkansas
I live in NW Arkansas, and was part of that huge ice storm last year, too!

Two suggestions...
I had found out that I got a little claustraphobic one year at night with oil lamps going. They weren't bright, and they flickered. It really got to me after a while! So I ordered an Aladdin brand lamp off of Ebay. They can be pricey, and you need mantles for them. BUT they put out a LOT of light...something like 65 watts...and it's a clear light. AND they put out a lot of heat, so that is great in the winter, but not so great in the summer.

I also had a single burner Coleman stove. You buy the small green bottles of propane (?), (Walmart has their own brand, I think). The bottle fits into a base, and the burner screws on to the top of the bottle. You light it, and you can heat water or cook over it. (We have electric EVERYTHING, so this is the only way to cook inside.)

We have a fireplace, but it's not efficient. During the ice storm, I shut off one end of the living area, and hung a quilt across the hall at the other end, and we ran the fireplace. We did OK. It does make me want a true wood stove to use for heating all winter.

Fun thread!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As we have snow stoems here we stock everything as you have to and as far as woodstoves they are good to have not only for heat but some you can even cook on so they are nice in that way.:snow:::eek:rnament::tree:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I grow more envious of my MIL and my mum as time goes on.

MIL first. She has a large outhouse which has a chest freezer in it. She has a solid fuel stove in the kitchen, which she burns logs and coal in (mostly logs from her own trees) and keeps a large kettle on top all winter round for hot water. In an emergency, if the "emergency" gas cooker in the outhouse fails, she can cook or at least heat things on that stove. And a large, open sided shed where she can hang her laundry to dry under cover but not in the house (causing damp) - if the electricity is off, she washes clothes in a large old bath (the ones you'd sit in, all squished up) out there too. And the logs are kept there nice and dry and accessible.

My mum has a spare emergency gas cooker as well, in her utility room. She got rid of her chest freezer, but she has a full size upright one, as well as another full size upright which is half freezer, half fridge (that's the "beer fridge"). The main fridge (another full size upright) is in the kitchen. And she has a LARGE walk-in pantry with a great metal cool-shelf.

Both of them keep old lamps and loads of candles, and have the room to do so. Radios, with plenty of batteries. Open fires in the 2 reception rooms. And good supplies of whatever may be needed. (as well as lots of hedgerows near them to gather loads of interesting things in the autumn - lots of blackberry jams, damson jellies, sloe gin etc to be made from the results). And fruit trees in the garden meaning loads of fillings for apple pies frozen for later use.

I am getting more and more into the notion of a "self-sufficient" lifestyle, and getting a couple of acres to put a couple of hens (for eggs and meat), geese and ducks (ditto), a pig or 2, and growing lots more fruit and veg - preserving lots of it for winter use. Baking our own bread and all of our cakes (not just the odd few as now). Crafting more of our own needs rather than buying clothes and household furnishings ready-made. And dropping out of the rat race altogether.

But it's just a pipe dream at the present.