Witchy Wing-ding

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I mentioned this additional party a few days ago. I am really getting excited about the idea of this. I got the idea from a group at the Halloween Forum where mhootch hosts a Witch Wing-ding yearly and pandora hosts a Be-witched Bash. Their photos are fantastic and both events are for women only. I can't believe the variety of costumes on all the witches and they vary each year. SOme are bought costumes, many are things they put together, but all are wonderful.

I attended a Women's Empowerment Fitness Retreat in the spring and realized that there are few things that we do just for ourselves and with women only. So, I decided to host my own version of the Witch's Wing-ding. I want to invite some friends who are not into Halloween and would probably not attend due to the negative view of witches and the dark side. However, I love Halloween and separate this into just FUN and definitely am not into anything dark or evil. I don't even like horror shows!

I surprised people last year by having a small cemetery with headstones and bones and ghouls at the Boo Bash. However, to me this is not something dark, only silly props and fun. We even had a Butcher's Shoppe in my master bathroom.

I know that I am at odds with my church and the views of many. We have a trunk or treat there for the kids and it is a lot of fun. Costumes are encouraged, but no scary ones.

That being said, I plan to invite some of my women friends from church. I will have the house and yard already decorated for the Boo Bash, but I will let them know. Costumes will be required of all witches in attendance, but I have come up with something that I hope will encourage them to attend. Let me know what you think.

I am calling this party a Witchy Wing-ding. I am working on an invitation, but plant to illustrated that Witchy is an ancronym for:

Wonderful
Intelligent
Talented
Charming
Helpful
You

It is meant to be a time of women empowerment and honor us for what we do all year. Witch attire is required and we will celebrate the differences in us all.

Here is the rough draft of the little poem for the invitation:

Wonderful Intelligent Talented Charming Helpful You
Wing-ding

Once a year for Halloween
Women gather at a be-witching scene
To celebrate at a Witchy Wing-ding
For young, mature, single or those with a ring.

Guests are varied, but no men for the night.
Plan to attend and let your inner witch take flight!
Bring a gift ($10 or under) for a black cat auction all wrapped in a black trash bag style
So witches can haggle and cackle and not guess the contents for awhile.

Witch attire is required for all---pull out that pointy hat, and little black dress,
Or be daring and break witchy tradition, you’ll be sure to impress.
Be it glamorous, glitzy, croney, traditional, sexy, or something new
It is an evening to enjoy and celebrate the true witch in you.

We have one thing in common, we are all WITCHY, but, there is no evil at all---
Only women who are expected to perform magic and always be on call.
So hop on your broom and fly to my Haven for a well-earned night
It is sure to be an amazing sight!

Ideas? Suggestions?

We will have prizes for costumes, games, food and beverages.

Last edited:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Fantastic! I love the acronym! That's a great idea, I feel the same way and enjoy the fun and merriment of halloween- I hope that you have an awesome turnout. You did a great job of the poem. I was thinking of doing something similar but asking each guest to bring a trick and a treat. The trick could be a beauty trick to share, and the treat could be something yummy. Would be nice to do if if I could find time.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I just love this!! Please share with us every step of the way!
Somewhere I saw broomstick desserts & broomstick veggies... that would look good on your table.
We had a happy hour this summer at a friend's house... woman only... it was so much fun!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
printersdevil-
I LOVE it! This is Great!

The poem is perfect.

What about: I signature drink or mocktail.
stations set up to do pedicures?
Or makeup stations-
Something to promote self care.

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
This is fantastic! The trick and treat idea was cute and the auction is cute too. I would also love to hear more as you continue to plan!

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
I hope to find a champaign fountain to borrow for this. I really don't want to buy one, but would love to have one. I have a recipe for a great punch (non alcoholic) that the home ec teachers used to make for school functions. My friend Kay used to call it Baptist champaign. It would be great to have this flowing...

Thank you for all the comments. I was afraid that my poem was too corny. I made an invitation with Publisher that looks okay, but there is a poster on the Halloween Forum who does fabulous invitations with PhotoShop and he has offered to make custom invites for people. So, I am hoping to have him create something classy and witchy. LOL

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Printersdevil - If you really want a champagne fountain, call around to some local rental companies. A lot of times you can rent one for very little money if you are willing to pick it up, clean it, and return it.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Awesome poem! It sounds like it will be a terrific party - I would love to get an invitation like that! Please keep us posted!

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
Luludou, if you run across those recipes please post a link. I would really love to have themed food for the Witchy Wing-ding. I keep reading about witches finger cookies, but haven't looked for recipes of any kind yet. I really need ideas for simple things that I can do in advance. Last year I worked all day on final set up and food. I want to have things more relaxed this year.

I am also having problems deciding on dates. I have to content with local football games on Fridays and really need a Saturday due to getting ready time and I am hoping to be working full time by then. My niece (who we are headed to final court in two weeks to hoepfully finalize full custody of) will be playing volleyball at the middle school. The district playoffs will be on the Saturday the 23rd. Since the playoffs will be in an area town, I just know she will want to attend even if her team is not playing. So, that really limits me. I may just go with that day for one of the parties and let someone else take her.

I need dates for our Boo Bash, the Witchy Wing-ding and Audree is wanting to have either a Halloween party or maybe a WW for her friends. I hope she goes with the all girl one. I really don't want to jump right in to a middle school boy-girl thing, especially at Halloween!!!

My life it is a changin.....

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've made the witches finger cookies for 2 years now. They look really cool & I make them in advance and freeze!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5487816_make-witches-fingers-halloween-cookies.html
Here's another presentation for the finger cookies
http://grosshalloweenrecipes.com/gross-halloween-recipes-witches-fingers/

These are bread fingers
http://www.grouprecipes.com/22848/spooky-finger-food---witch-fingers.html

Here's a bunch of freaky halloween foods and she's got lots of pictures there
http://www.britta.com/hw/hwr.html

Candy brooms
http://grosshalloweenrecipes.com/scary-and-sweet-witches-brooms/

I also freeze a transparent rubber glove (the thin ones used in the hospitals). I fill with water & than it can be put in the punch bowl (cut off glove before putting in water).

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
This sounds like such a fun event...I love your poem...Look forward to reading more of your plans...

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I sooo love this idea! Halloween has always been my fav! I usually always dress up as a witch. Keep us posted!