Would one TYPE of gift make shopping easier?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Last night at dinner I asked my DH if he thought that giving everyone one type of gift e.g. calendars, books, pjs would make our shopping easier and he said "No". What do you think?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I found it easier. For my nieces and nephews I now send all gift cards.
When they where smaller it would be all books, or all building sets or all board games etc...
I like theme gift giving :)

:leprechaun: Good luck.

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I did pjs one year and I thought it was easier. One year we did money and I thought it was easier. I like to be more thoughtful on birthdays because you can concentrate on one person at a time.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I don't know..
Our gift list is so diverse that it wouldn't be easy to get everyone the same thing. I'd groan to attempt to buy pjs for my BIL who weighs over 250 and stands 6ft 7in. For some people it's easier to do the themed gift but not for others. Besides..I love the variety so I don't mind finding that perfect gift for someone.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have done themes here. One year was linen, one year underwear, beachwear, kitchen, bathroom. It made it easier. For the last couple of years we have just bought for individuals without a theme. I love giving which ever way we do things, but give buying everyone the same thing a try it may work well for you.

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
I say yes. Last year I got all of the s in my family gift cards. I just went to Walgreen's or the Simon gift place in the mall and got them. I was through in one day. The only thing about the Simon gift cards is I have learned not to wait until the week before Christmas. The line was ridiculous.

This year, everyone is getting calendars. I found a great selection at the Dollar Store. I may add one or two small things from Michael's or a gift card for close family members. Being practical just works better, especially in the times we are living in now.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Calendars especially are so unique! I went to Border's and there's at least one for every taste!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Yes, I think one thing, even if you have a slight variation on it, is easier. Last year we gave my SIL and her three daughters purses...each fit their personality and was chosen for them, but I did all my shopping in one area of Kohl's, not 4, and they were also all on sale for 50% off, which was a huge bonus.

This year all the girls are getting jewelry!

LuAnn

Retire Member
Jan 6, 2008
western Pennsylvania
I know the exact same gift for everyone on MY list would not work!

We have a wide range of ages 14 - 83, and we have a wide range of interests.

I have done 'themes', where everyone is different within the theme, but wouldn't even attempt one item for all.

Even calendars don't go for us...
the teens have planners, the college kids use their computers, some adults have PDAs, I use an appointment book, DH will only look at a Day-Timer... very few would even keep a calendar around for a while.

But... YOU know YOUR people best. If it works for you. it IS a time saver.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I agree it's a time-saver if you can do it. I have 3 nieces about the same age... so they get something comparable. 2 nephew + DS get something comparable too... but for the others it's one at a time.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One gift that everyone should have (except little kids, they want toys) is a Reminder Calendar. This calendar only has date for each month (no year). You can record all the special dates in a family. Then there is no excuse for anyone forgetting a birthday or anniversary.

The one I have is from Hallmark. I've seen them is several stores. They can also be found online that can be printed off for free.

How to page:
http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Themes/Time/1085.php

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ahorsesoul, thanks for the link to Scrapjazz. I loved it!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yes, thanks Ahorsesoul, the book is so cute ... I'm thinking this for grandparents as a "theme" this year! Cool fun idea.

::eek:rnament:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer