Wrapping days 14th and 15th December.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A double this week just to make a push to get things done. If the kids are at school it is a great time to do some wrapping without little eyes watching.
I remember how hard it was to find the time to wrap while the kids were around. Several times I had to ask my parents to baby sit or DH to take them for a long walk so that I had a few hours of uninterrupted wrapping time.

By now most of the ordered gifts will be arriving and the beautifully wrapped gifts will be in the gift closet waiting to be placed under the tree in 10 days time.
If you are still waiting on orders to arrive or have nothing more to wrap use the time to relax, make a batch of something for the freezer or just enjoy the quiet time and watch a Christmas movie, there are many around at the moment.

Questions for the week,
What is the hardest gift you have ever had to wrap?
What creative wrapping ideas do you use?
Do you do joke wrapping.....a tiny little box inside a bigger box etc?

One more wrapping date to go before we WRAP up for the year.:p

present.jpg

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I feel so disconnected with the wrapping days. These past few months have been crazy at work which then translate to crazy at home.

Most wrapping is done. I will still have to wrap the gifts that were ordered but haven't arrived yet.

Hardest gift to wrap: We do individual gifts and then one shared family gift. One year, we needed a new tv since the other one was freezing and loosing it's picture. We got a wall mounted tv one year for Christmas. Instead of wrapping it in paper, we wrapped it in blankets. Not fancy but we were just about out of wrapping papper. We bought the tv as close to Christmas as possible since we also had to store it. We found a spot in our basement that is filled with "junk." Dh and I covered the tv and made it blend in with the "junk" and no one noticed it.

Creative wrapping: I like our Christmas tree to have lots of gifts under it. That isn't always the case. We stick to a budget. If one of the gifts is super expensive then chances are that is pretty much it for that child under the tree. In that case, I'll put that small gift in a big box. That box will go into a bigger box, etc. I also wrap lot of little gifts like lotion and soap. Sometimes they get put into larger boxes. It gives the illusion of more gifts because more space is being taken up under the tree. I also go all out on decorating the under-the-tree gifts with ribbons and bows. It just makes the initial scene on Christmas morning look so special even on a budget. I place gift boxes in an upright position to give height. If I can reuse paper tubes from wrapping paper, paper towels, or toilet paper, I will slip a small gift inside and then turn it into "wrapped candy" with extra paper at the ends that get twisted.

Joke wrapping: We'll save toothpaste boxes, cereal boxes, etc. and slip nice gifts inside. I like to wrap the boxes real nice then with bows and ribbon. It looks special until you see the toothpaste box. I've also put in a small but expensive gift into a bigger box and wrapped it. Then I put that wrapped box into a larger box and wrapped that box. I kept doing that until I ran out of boxes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Joke wrapping: We'll save toothpaste boxes, cereal boxes, etc. and slip nice gifts inside. I like to wrap the boxes real nice then with bows and ribbon. It looks special until you see the toothpaste box. I've also put in a small but expensive gift into a bigger box and wrapped it. Then I put that wrapped box into a larger box and wrapped that box. I kept doing that until I ran out of boxes.
One year I bought both of our kids desk fans. It is really hot here over Christmas and thought they would be a great idea.
Walked into the loungeroom and I heard DD say that she thought the big boxes were Playstations (I don't know why she thought we bought 2). The look on the poor kids faces when they opened these large boxes to find fans was indescribable and they tried so hard to be grateful but you could just see the disappointment.

One year a friend of mine bought her kids new bed pillows??? Like OK. BUT she did wrap them in a Playstation box which I thought was very mean.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I do the same thing. However some people just don't understand and never open the box. I gave DSIL t-shirts in a doggie soup bone box and she thanked me for the dog treats; had to persuade her to open the box. Also wrapped another t-shirt in a box from file folders and my niece had a fit that I gave her file folders for Hanukkah.

This year I have car battery boxes, oreo cookie boxes and cream cheese boxes - need more. DS and DDIL gave me a gift certificate in a Covid test box.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
One year a friend of mine bought her kids new bed pillows??? Like OK. BUT she did wrap them in a Playstation box which I thought was very mean.
I have given pillows as gifts but they are expensive kind that I would never buy except for a gift. Now a Playstation box to kids and no Playstation... I couldn't do that.

I did remember something else. It was our first Christmas married and we had a gift for dh's grandmother who was in her 90's at the time. I put it into a real nice looking box that had "Victoria's Secret" in small print on the box. I thought it would be funny for her to get the box. In my family, it would have been funny. Not so in my dh's family. I though dh's reaction was funny so I brought it up at his family's Christmas dinner. I got stares. LOL! They are too serious.

Our dds have picked up on my humor and dh's nieces and nephews chuckle at us which is better than stares. A joke started between the younger generation last summer where someone received Old Bay seasoning which is something they HATE. That person slipped it into another person's car before they drove home 3 hours. That recipient then sent it via mail to us last Thanksgiving. We then dropped it off at another relatives house dressed as Door Dash. For Christmas 2021, I made Old Bay Ornaments and gave them to dh's family as gifts.

Oh, I just thought of another funny ornament I made. It was during Covid Christmas 2020. I ran a Christmas Photo Scavenger Hunt since we weren't getting together in person for a meal. Everyone who participated recieved a Covid Santa ornament. I hot glued blue folded ribbon, which resembled a mask, onto Santa's face. :)

I haven't come up with anything funny this year for the families. <rubbing hands together> But I still have time... <HA HA HA>