Wrapping paper colors and themes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Anyone given any thought to which paper and what colors you'll be using for gifts this year?

I am just so partial to the white paper and kraft paper themes that I think I'll use that again. I found some ribbon at Hobby Lobby that I like, a tartan plaid taffeta type ribbon and two or three versions of burlap ribbon. One is printed with Christmas greetings in red on regular tan burlap and then wired. So cute. I also love a red and white stripe ribbon and anything checked is right up my alley.

Any thoughts about yours yet?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the white paper. I use to buy out Wal-Mart after Christmas of all their white paper but I do not see it any more.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I do not use a particular theme. I just grab what I have and try to match it to the gift. I like the colourful explosion under the tree.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I wait and see what comes out and see which line is my favorite. Then I'll go from there. I use all kinds of papers, but I do try and group them. So if a friend or a family member gets a set of gifts, I do try and coordinate them. Last year I found a line of vintage themed paper at Hallmark and used that alot. it was nice, because 2 of the rolls came two sided, one with a pattern and the other basic, like stripes and polka dots. It all matched and gave me like 5 options to work with. But I'm a paper hoarder, so I have lots of others as well and some I use for kids..etc.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Diedra, have you ever tried wrapping in white freezer paper? A friend told me about it. Sometimes, I have found it in the hunting section at Walmart if it wasn't near the foil, ziploc bags, wax paper, etc.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I will check the hunting section! Thanks

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Last year, thanks to Teachermomof2's tip, I got a bunch of discounted paper (heavyweight) from Current. Lots of cute designs, and some elegant ones too.

Last year at Big Lots I got a set of pink wrapping paper and matching ribbons and bows. Pink, and metallic silver, with Christmas designs, snowflakes, etc. It was so cute and different. I used it for my daughter's gifts.

I always just get what strikes my fancy at the moment. But since I have to ship a lot of gifts, the paper that you get at Target never really holds up. So I'm excited about using the heavy duty stuff this year.

I like the mix of different patterns and colors too under the tree!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't tend to do a theme. I have a lot of paper from the years and use lots of bags.Its a hodge podge under the tree.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I love red green and gold. use Charlie brown for the grandkids and mickey mouse for the tiny ones.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I still have a ton of paper bought at after Christmas sales the last few years. However, yesterday, as I was going thru Pinterest, I thought white and silver paper with coordinating ribbons and bows would be pretty. I used a white tree last year with blue lights and silver and blue ornaments. Now, whether or not I have the money to do what I want is yet to be seen! Lol

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I just use whatever is in my HUGE stash of paper that I buy way too much of at the after Christmas sales. :rolleyes:

I love seeing lots of color under the tree, so I use a lot of different rolls.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Not sure what I'll be doing this year. I bought new ornaments last year at the after sales, but if I remember correctly, I didn't buy any paper because there wasn't any I particularly liked. I'm slowly replacing all the plastic ornaments with glass...always used plastic because of DGSs, but since they are older, I can go back to glass.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I wanted to do all the Santa presents in brown packing paper with grossgrain ribbon, but DH didn't go for it. Figured it wouldn't be too alluring for kids....which may be true.
I usually just use whatever I got on sale the year before, but I make sure that Santa rolls are kept separate from the "family" rolls.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love the look of the brown kraft paper all dolled up with pretty ribbon and do dads! I'd love to do that this year, but the budget tells me that instead I'll be continuing to use up my rather large stash of papers and ribbons.

So it will be all different colors for us this year! I have a lot of reds and golds and greens :)

I also love the look of the plain white paper dressed up with things like Baker's Twine, Christmas ribbon, felt flowers, etc.

I'd like to start making reusable "bows" out of felt - like felt poinsettia's that have a clothespin or something like that glued to the back - so you just clip it onto the present's ribbon and then you can save and reuse the following year.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
FrostyShimmer,

That stamp is adorable!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Very cute stamp!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Frosty the stamp is so cute. Why not get it and use it for the kids wrapping?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have done a few themes over the years, my favourite being the brown kraft paper and string.

I do have a few rolls of paper downstairs that I try to use up as well - once that's finished I will focus on the kraft paper and all the great ideas using it as a base.