Candy - Cookie - Dessert Recipes

Discussion in 'Holiday Cooking' started by snowangel00, Oct 10, 2007.

1. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

I'm going to check out that site that Ellen listed. I've always done food prep and meals for the holidays, but never baked good ahead of time. Maybe raw dough, but that's about it.

I'm also printing that White Fruitcake recipe. It sounds heavenly and making fruitcake has been on my to try list forever. Right along with icing cookies..

Has anyone ever made mincemeat cookies? I have some friends who have been talking and raving about them, so I was curious about your thoughts or any tips if anyone here makes them.

2. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Tried new recipe this weekend:

Double Dark Chocolate PB Cup Cookies

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup dark cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter chips

2 cups mini peanut butter cups

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt.

Place the cold butter in the bowl of your electric stand mixer and beat until the butter forms a ball or lumb of butter. Add in the sugars and beat until combined. Add in each egg, one at a time, beating until combined. Beat in the vanilla extract. The batter may look curdled or lumpy at this time. Slowly add in the flour with the mixer on low speed. Beat until it is just combined – even before it all gets stirred in. Stir in the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.

Separate the dough into 10 or 12 equal balls. Take each ball and pull it apart, then press a small handful of mini peanut butter cups into one of the dough pieces. Cover it with the other half of the dough, forming a ball around the PB cups and covering them completely. Place all the PB cup filled dough balls on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake about 4 dough balls at a time – you want 2 inches on all sides between each piece of dough. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until just slightly set. Let the cookies cool slightly before eating.

Minta likes this.
  3. AuntJamelle

And this one! My favorite of the two although both were good!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour - I used my food scale

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour - Used scale to be exact

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract

2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Stir in chocolate chips. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. (I put my dough in ziplock bag) Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

4. Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet (NOTE: I thought this was WAY too big and did 2.5 oz instead - using my scale again and they were still bigger than any golf ball I've ever seen!)

Bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. .

4. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

oh...I can't do all that peanut butter..lol.. I'm one of those weird ones. o_O

Ahorsesoul and AuntJamelle like this.
  5. AuntJamelle

Different strokes for different folks!!! That is why I make lots of different types of cookies!!! lol

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  6. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member