Feb: Great American Pie Month

Discussion in 'Every Day's A Magical Holiday' started by Gingerbug, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Gingerbug

Gingerbug Administrator

Time to share your pie making tips and recipes as February is Great American Pie Month but I'm declaring it International Pie Making Month so would love to hear recipes from around the world!

2. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

Happy Pie Month!

Here's my very favorite Pumpkin Pie recipe. I start with a pumpkin, not canned pumpkin. This turns out so light and delicious! It's heavenly. I got the recipe from my friend, Mary, years and years and years ago! It's a family favorite, of course. When I cook and mash the pumpkin, I divide it up into recipe-size portions and freeze it, so I can make Pumpkin Pie any time of year.

PUMPKIN PIE
    • 9" pie crust (unbaked)
    • 2 cups mashed pumpkin (I cut up a sugar pumpkin, scrape off seeds and steam till soft, then cool a bit so I can handle it, and peel the rind away.)
    • 3/4 tsp. salt
    • 1 2/3 (14 1/2 oz.) evaporated milk (14 1/2 oz used to be the standard, now they are smaller but using 1 can still works fine)
    • 2 eggs
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 1 Tbsp. melted butter
    • 1 to 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp. ginger
    • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Blend all ingredients together in blender. Pour into 9" pie shell. Bake 40-45 min.

Gingerbug, Holiday_Mom and luludou like this.
  3. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Mum and I tried a new pie on Thursday to see if it might be something we would like to add to our Christmas menu. DH and I really liked it and and think that it is a keeper. It is very easy and a little moreish.

FLUFFY PEPPERMINT PIE.

1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
    2 tabs sugar (we omitted this)
    1/4 cup butter melted.

30 large marshmallows
    1 can condensed milk
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    3 drops red food colour
    2 tsp peppermint extract
    1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies (we used candy canes)

*Mix cookie crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into a ungreased pie plate 9x1 1/2 inches.Refrigerate.
    * Place marshmallows and milk in a large microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High about 3 minutes, stirring once until marshmallows are melted.
    (watch as the marshmallow mix will rise and potentially boil over) Place in fridge for about 25 minutes or until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
    *Beat whipping cream, food colour and peppermint extract in a chilled medium bowl until stiff. Stir marshmallow mixture and fold into the whipped cream. Fold in crushed candies. Pour mixture into crust. Cover and freeze about 5 hours. Cover and freeze any remaining pie.

Note:We decorated our pie with a little more crushed candy canes just before serving.

Gingerbug, Holiday_Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.