Gadgets: Air Fryer -- Is it worth it? Why? (Or Sous Vide?)

Discussion in 'Holiday Cooking' started by Cindylouwho, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Cindylouwho

Cindylouwho Well-Known Member

Does anyone use an Air Fryer? If so, why do you like it and what do you use it for? They are on sale everywhere right now and I'm looking at it to create healthier versions of roasted veggies (which take a lot of oil in the oven) and fried chicken (because I really miss Fried Chicken). I'm gluten free so much of the hyped recipes that are out there aren't options for me -- we aren't going to be frying any Twinkies over here. Do you have an air fryer? Do you love it? Is it worth the cabinet space? Is it easy to clean and what brand would you suggest if indeed you do love it.

My other gadget option for Christmas is the Sous Vide but I just can't picture myself using it. Pretty attached to my slow cooker.

2. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Cindy, I bought DS a sous vide for Christmas two years ago, and he likes it, but finds it most convenient to use with steaks.

I do know an air fryers is basically a countertop convection oven. I have a friend who has one. She said it's not 100% oil free as it advertises, but I've not used one personally. I make "oven fried chicken" by preparing it as I would to fry it. Then, I spray a cast iron skillet with cooking spray and also spray the chicken after putting it into the pan. Bake at 400°, turning once during cooking, for 25-35 minutes or until cooked all the way through. It works best with a cast iron skillet.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  3. Cindylouwho

Cindylouwho Well-Known Member

I wish I had a friend that owned them so I could borrow them and check them out! :) I do have an oven bake recipe that I do make occasionally but it is not what you describe. Will have to try in a cast iron skillet -- that sounds very interesting. I cook pork tenderloins that way, and come to think of it I make Teriyaki Chicken Thighs that way too. But the chicken I've always put on a cookie sheet. It just doesn't crisp up the way honest to goodness Fried Chicken does. I feel like my kids are abused children because I don't make them Fried Chicken like we had when I was growing up! ;)

On the Sous Vide I've heard it works great with steaks! :) I met someone who uses her Sous Vide the way I use my crockpot -- that often!

4. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

We have a NuWave oven - have had it for 5 years now? It cooks everything and air fries too. We make french fries and they turn out great.

I like the fact that the NuWave does more than just air fry - we cook pizzas, chicken breasts (can cook from frozen!), turkey breasts, brats, etc.

I like to fill tortilla shells with a cheesy beef Mexican filling I make and then I brush them with oil and "fry" them up nice and crisply - then I take them off the racks, pop in a pan, cover with cheese and put that back in for just long enough to melt the cheese - SO good!

5. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

I have a convection oven. I do not like it. It does crisp things up but for me does cook things very well. I hardly ever use that part of my oven. I have looked at the sous vide. I think I would like one but figure I would use it for a while and then once the novelty wore off it would just take up space.