Holiday Clearance Shopping Year Round...

Discussion in 'Year Round Prep: Month by Month' started by AuntJamelle, Feb 14, 2018.

1. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

I ran over to Walmart with just the baby last week and got the Frozen Lego castle for $60. It is usually $100. DD4 has been asking for the castles. Any time she gets money she uses it for Lego Disney princess stuff, and for her birthday she asked for the Sleeping Beauty castle. $60 is still expensive, but all the Lego Princess stuff is pricey. They had the $60 Beauty and the Beast castles for $35, but she already has that one. They had stickers for Lego Elves castles that were half price, but the shelves were empty.

There are some really good deals on Lego right now too because they just had their anniversary. Some of the American stores have had great deals. Not so much in Canada though.

Also, if anyone is Canada is looking for some Christmas shirts for kids, Children's Place has most of them for $1.99 with free shipping right now.

Minta and AuntJamelle like this.
  2. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Went to the mall and finally got the Easter tea towels that I have been looking at. 50% off all Easter today in this particular shop. Also got 2 ceramic bunnies so the 4 items came to $15.00, very happy.
    Got DD a sunscreen/nutritive oil reduced from $36.99 to $7.99. It is a French brand that she uses a lot so I was happy to get that for her.

Frosty 1.99 for tee shirts is a great price.

Minta and AuntJamelle like this.
  3. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like everyone is finding some great deals!!!

4. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Active Member

I have just learned a lot! Thanks for sharing. Here are a few things that I like to do:

Thrift Stores
    I like to check out the thrift shops for some finds too. Some places are better than others. My mom works in one that sets up a great Christmas display in November. She said that they had Christmas gift bags and Christmas wrapping paper at a super price. I didn't get there this past year but I want to this year.

Grocery Outlets
    There is a grocery outlet store forty-five minutes from me but rather close to my mother's house. It is a hit or miss kind of place but when it is a hit, oh wow! For instance, we wanted M & M's, Hershey kisses and Rolos for making a candy treat at Christmas. The outlet had the fall colors of the Hershey and Rolo chocolates for $1.00 - $1.50 a bag. The colors didn't matter since we were going to unwrap them.

Our local grocery store has a clearance section that is tucked away in a hard to find spot but we look there year round for items.

Dollar Tree
    If you're looking for Christmas items before Christmas, I think the prices at Dollar Tree can't be beat. You'll have a better selection of items if you go before Thanksgiving.

In their holiday section, you'll find cupcake liners, clear goodie bags, holiday themed paper goods, pencils, candy, among other things. I've picked up some cute large gift bags at Dollar Tree the last few years. They also have colored tissue paper. In a pinch, their gift boxes work too. I've sent in their paper plates, napkins and cups to school for various parties over the years. Their plastic table cloths are see-through thin, but again, in a pinch, they will do. I have used their paper lanterns LED lights to decorate outside in the summer. They have tons of Christmas decorations too that might be a nice touch to a wrapped gift.

I like to meander down their craft aisle for inspiration. In the spring, they have birds/butterflies that can be put on a wreath, package, etc. for $1. The other craft stores will charge more than that for a similar item. Jute can be found in the automotive aisle. I also pick up poster board there for any school projects. It gets the job done. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    PamelaG and luludou like this.
  5. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Great tips, Holiday Mom! I'll have to remember the one about thrift stores! Never thought of that!

Dollar stores are great too! As to the plastic tablecloths, I double them up to avoid the see through phenomenon.

Our only grocery outlet is bread only and they are moving it to a different city, so peeved!!! :(

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  6. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

I'm a thrift store fan.. I've found some fun stuff and some NICE stuff. I'm not afraid to give things like that as gifts if they are fitting.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  7. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

I love finding things at the thrift stores too. Sometimes that's the only place you can find the perfect gift.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  8. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

You know I was just thinking about this and made a comment to my husband a couple days ago. My daughter is getting married and there are SOOOO many things I have bought on clearance or at a thrift store that fit our need exactly. He's a good husband..he told me it's because I know good stuff..lol..or maybe I just know my daughters style and it's bleed into my purchases..lol..I just keep pulling stuff out of cabinets for this and that. She's always teased me that I can just pull anything out of my butt when she mentioned something. I'll be like....HOLD ON...I think I have that somewhere!

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  9. PamelaG

PamelaG Well-Known Member Staff Member

What a great thread! I put my holiday clearance items to be used next year on the first page of my gift closet list. That way, I know what I've stashed away.

I bought my holiday china on clearance over two years - there always seems to be one box left over so I bought one set one year and the second set the following year. I've been keeping an eye out for serving pieces to compliment the set but the store has put them on sale before Christmas and people are snapping them up before I can get there. Must try harder next year to get in there earlier.

I pretty much gave up on wrapping paper a few years ago - I buy the beautiful decorative boxes at Michaels when they are on sale and reuse them. They come in all sorts of sizes. I have one roll of wrapping paper that I have used for my nephews for the last two years as they are the only ones that get wrapped gifts.

10. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Pamela, I have sooo much wrapping paper that I have made a note to really try hard to use it up this year. I find that as the kids are getting older their gifts are getting smaller. No big Lego sets or dolls prams etc. Now seems to be DVD's and jewelry etc. Will try and look for some good boxes soon, Australia Post have great packing boxes at a very reasonable price so I may look there.