Yikes...and HELP

Discussion in 'Holiday and Seasonal Decor' started by goodpace, Nov 20, 2017.

1. goodpace

goodpace Member

Okay ladies I need your help. We just found out we are relocating ...in mid January! You know those beautiful decorating magazines that make you drool during the holidays...well...that's me. Yeah, I even decorate the bathrooms for the holidays. I can't do it this year. Normally I would be starting this weekend but I cannot possibly go whole-hog here and have it all packed back up in time for the movers to head out. It was nearly Valentines last year before I got it all put away.

Soooo...I need some minimalist ideas on how and what to decorate to make it feel festive and holiday-ish. It will only be immediate family (4) and the 5-6 neighbors that stop by with goodies. I'm thinking the smaller tabletop artificial tree with the 10-12 special family ornaments. The one piece nativity instead of the 25 pc set I usually use for the mantel. Something for the dining and coffee tables A wreath or ribbon for the front door and maybe a poinsettia/fresh flowers or some scented candles. Does this sound okay and Christmas-y enough?

By the way, we are moving to the Cincinnati area-anyone of my MHH peeps nearby?

2. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Your minimalist decorating scheme sounds lovely. I mainly use the mantle and a wreath on the door.

3. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Sounds festive!

4. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

I think your plans sound great! And not really close by, but I'll send you a wave in OH from northern Indiana :)

5. piratemamaof3boys

piratemamaof3boys Well-Known Member

Moving is hard enough and add in the holiday it' so much more. Sounds like some great ideas. A pretty runner on the table with a small tree. Definitely some candles or plug ins consider some of the seasonal night lights. Pick a theme for the small tree with the ornaments you like most.
    Good luck

6. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

What you have described sounds perfect. Go with your gut.
    Good luck with the move.

7. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

Your plan sounds great. Just keep in mind things that are easiest to get out and pack away again, like your nativity option. It's surprising what a poinsettia or two can add instantly to the decor. Hope your move goes well.

8. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Sounds great! I love poinsettia! Instant Christmas!

9. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Lisa....instant Christmas, love it.

10. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Active Member

I think your ideas sound nice. You may even be able to keep those things out longer and then pack all those things at the last minute into a Rubbermaid Tote and label it "Instant Christmas" (HT to Teachermomof2). Meanwhile all your other Christmas things can remain packed and ready to go.

I love Christmas and I have learned that I can resent people, things, situations etc. if I don't do at least one thing that is "Christmas" to me. I love sitting by the white lights in the evening and I love the smell of a Christmas tree. If I had to move in mid January and couldn't have a big tree, then I'd be content with a fresh wreath in the house and some white lights on the mantle.

Since it is going to be a different kind of Christmas, what is the one thing you just love about Christmas in your home?