2008 party plans

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Ok, all you party animals! Christmas is over and it's time to move into new year mode! I am curious about the various celebrations and parties you have over the course of a year. I'm working on party planning stories for this site and for upcoming projects, and I'd like to get an idea of all you celebrate. Here's what we do, in a nutshell and no where near a complete list!

January-New Year's Day-this year we'll be watching Arkansas triumph over Missouri in the Cotton Bowl! Sorry Ginger! Also, bunco is at my house this month.
February-Valentine's Day-usually everyone's favorite dinners at home, with a small gift, cards and candy! DH sends me a dozen roses which I like to use as a stunning centerpiece!
March-this year, Easter! Also, St. Patrick's Day and my BFF's birthday...sometimes I do her a little party
April-two weddings this year, one week apart!
May-DH and DS7's birthdays, Mother's Day
June-Father's Day
July-Independence Day, DS6's birthday
August-BACK TO SCHOOL!!
September-Johnny Appleseed's birthday, niece, nephew and brother's birthday, first day of fall
October-our wedding anniversary, my birthday day, my niece's birthday, my sister in law's birthday, Halloween
November-my nephew and niece have birthdays, Thanksgiving
December-Mom's and DS15's birthdays, Christmas and all that that implies and New Year's Eve

And of course we have our monthly themed family breakfasts. I'm still working on those themes, and will post them when I get it all firmed up. Plus, sometimes we have impromptu parties that pop up!

What do you have in the planning stages for 2008?? I want as many details as you care to share-menus, decorations, etc.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Cathy.....you are making STEAM come out of my ears....I'm still smarting over their loss in the Championship game....!!!!! I'll watch it with you....but I'm rooting for MIZZOU!!!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Jan 08-dgd's 2nd birthday
Feb-ds turns 19
Mar-dd, and dsd's bf's birthdays
(On my Family Dinner Day for the month, whoever is celebrating a birthday that month gets to pick what we have for dinner)
Apr-will have to see what kind of theme I can come up with for making our FDD special that month
May-wedding anniversary
June-dh's birthday
July-Independence Day (I was thinking of Christmas in July for FDD)
Aug-dsd's birthday and dd's bf's birthday
Sep-dss's birthday
Oct-ds's birthday
Nov-my birthday, ds's & dil's birthday, Thanksgiving
Dec-(a busy month) ds's, dss's, dgd's birthdays as well as Christmas

I will eagerly await reading on some of the themed breakfast and borrow some ideas from here!!! TIA to anyone I copy a theme from.
:help:

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
okay....I sat down and wrote my list and I am literally exhausted just looking at it. I had never done that writting done a whole year of parties and get togethers. so here I go:

Jan- New Years day- nice little dinner with just our immediate family. also the big national championship!!! GO BUCKS!!!!
Feb- Valentines Day. also dh and I started dating on the 8th. we really don't do anything just maybe extra text messages during the day tp put smiles on eachothers face and a nice dinner made by me!!!
march- dh birthday as well as df and dfil's birthday and Easter
April- so far nothing!!!
May- mother's day, nieces bday, 2 weddings....i might I add is in Las Vegas at Ceasars...DH is the best man.
June- our wedding anniversary, father's day
July- the 4th
August- BACK TO SCHOOL
Sept- my b day
Oct- DM AND DMIL BIRTHDAY, NEPHEWS BDAY
Nov- turkey day and ds birthday
Dec nieces bday, christmas, ds birthday and new years eve!!!!

WOW!! and I wonder how time can pass soo fast!!!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
So far we've got:
Jan-GameNite @ our house this month; our school's open house on last Sunday; nephew's bday
Feb-our school's family dinner (I'm committee head); 3 nieces & 1 nephew's bday; Valentine's Day
Mar-DS 3rd bday; nephew's bday; Easter
Apr-DD 9th bday; Birthday Bash @ school; GameNite @ our house
May-DS 12th bday; 2 nieces, 1 nephew, DBIL & DSIL bdays; Birthday Bash @ school
June-DS 7th bday; niece's bday; end of school/start of summer party; long weekend trip with cousins
July-our anniversay (on the 4th); July 4th neighborhood picnic; GameNite @ our house; DH bday; DBro, 2 DSILs, nephew's bdays
Aug-cousin and DBIL bdays; annual cousin campout; back to school
Sept-DMom's bday
Oct-nephews's bday; Halloween; GameNIte @ our house
Nov-DSIL, 2 cousins, 1 niece bdays; Thanksgiving
Dec-4 nephews and DMIL bdays; Birthday Bash @ school; Christmas

Ohmigosh! I'm exhausted already...

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
STOP IT.....the whole idea of preplanning is to have things fall in place easier and to HAVE FUN...not feel overwhelmed.....LOL

We are going to be doing Monthly Magic so we can break all these plans down and deal with them one month at a time....so relax!!! Instead think how full and wonderful your lives are surrounded by family and friends...

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
Thanks for the reminder...lol. I guess we are a bunch a party animals!!!!lol I am looking forward to the monthly magic... sounds exciting.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
This is all off the top of my head may change some.

Jan-free month
Feb-moms b-day7th, DD's 13th b-day24th, brothers 30th b-day 26th, V-day
March-nefhews 13th b-day 2nd, DH's b-day 3rd, brothers birthday18th, Easter, RACING benefit
April- brothers birthday 9th, nieces birthday 20th, nefhews birthday21st, ds's birthday 28th. RACING
May- stepdads birthday 3rd, mothers day, RACING
June-fathers day, brothers birthday 15th, brothers birthday 20th, dd's birthday 23rd, RACING
July- memory of nefhews birthday 16th, new niece or nefhew due the 21st RACING
August- nefhew birthday 13th, RACING
September- nefhew birthday 20th, nefhew birthday 26th, back to school, RACING
October- my birthday 6th, sons birthday 21st, stepsisters birthday 31st, RACING banquet
Nov- Thanksgiving
Dec-Christmas, New Years eve

Wow never relized how much time racing took up, until its written down.

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm a bit scared to start this list but it is better to know and plan right, LOL! The up side is a couple of these celebrations may not be at my home, but I usually do a lot to "help out" so I will list them any way.

January - Block gathering New Year's Eve, New Year's Day Anniversary (dh wants to know what we are doing, ugh!) (2 birthday's only one will I need to prepare stuff for)
February - My birthday, Valentine's Day
March - Easter, Brother's birthday, (no party for 3 other birthday's I don't think anyway)
April - Greek Easter Celebration, (2 more birthday's don't think there will be parties)
May - Mother's Day (Brunch here?), Brother's birthday, Graduation party for brother & cousin, (no party for 4 other birthday's I don't think anyway)
June - Sister's birthday, niece's birthday, Father's Day (picnic/BBQ here?)
July - shhhhh....don't tell we might skate thru this month with nothing,
August - Block party BBQ, nephew's birthday (times 2)
September - step-mother's birthday
October - DH's birthday
November - Thanksgiving, I'll hostess at least 2 of the 7 birthdays (we will lump a few together as well)
December, Grampa's birthday, Christmas

Plus, dh want's to do at least 2 other parties for family and friends this year. Have no idea when to plop those in. :rotflol:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I didn't want to scare anyone!! I just wanted to get an overview of how you celebrate so that I can do some research on the best party ideas to present that will help you out!

So, it looks like lots of family days-anniversaries, birthdays, dinners and breakfasts! Love it! I can certainly relate to that! Keep watching...lots of good stuff coming up!! Ideas are just floating around in my head and need to be pinned down....can't sleep....can't eat...ok, I can eat, but sleeping is getting hard!! I'm so excited!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Jan-
Feb-
Mar-, bf birthday, Parents 51st Anniversary
April-
May- Dad's 89th birthday, Memorial day
June-ds Half birthday (everyone born near Christmas should have one of these!)
July-dd birthday, 4th of July
Aug-dh, mine, df,stepmom and several friends all have birthdays
Sept-
Oct-
Nov-Thanksgiving
Dec-Christmas, ds birthday

I really have a clear calendar since I've not done a lot of Holiday parties. But with this site I've been thinking
I need to start planning something for different Holidays. At least do something special once a month if only go out for a Sunday Brunch.

August is a busy month, we usually go out to eat for each birthday or I cook at home. About every ten years I do a big Birthday/Reunion party. We invite everyone we know plus the family, rent a hot tub and picnic. It's a lot of fun. Guess I should look up when the last one was held. I keep thinking maybe someone else will take a turn but I think they all know how much work and money is involved. lol

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
Ahorsesoul said:
I really have a clear calendar since I've not done a lot of Holiday parties. But with this site I've been thinking
I need to start planning something for different Holidays. At least do something special once a month if only go out for a Sunday Brunch.

Funny you should mention this. I've been thinking about adding a gathering or two so grandma will quit saying we only get together for birthdays. Well, when we do that once or twice a month it is almost silly to try and cram another event in but who knows. Perhaps I'll do something for St. Patrick's Day this year.

Don't worry about it being 'scary' I know these gatherings/parties exist. I just usually bury my head in the sand about the last 6 months of the year until the first few months have come and gone.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
This is my plan for 2008 (not completed)

January: Birthdays (Grandpa, nephew, sister)
February: nothing :)
March: my Birthday and Easter
April: Birthday of my grandma
May: my 1st wedding anniversary and dad's birthday
June: nothing :)
July: Birthday of my sister
August: Birthday of DH's grandma (80)
September: nothing :)
October: Birthday of DH's grandma and Halloween
November: Mom's and mother-in-law's birthday
December: Birthdays of my brother and father-in-law; St Nicholas day, CHRISTMAS

So there will be a lot of work for me next year ;)

Chilli

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
This looks like fun!

January-either an estrogen pj party or a craft make n take or combine
February-DS3's birthday
March-Easter egg hunt
April- another girl's night in
May- DH's B-day
June- Breakfast before yard saling
July- DS7's B-Day
August-Corn boil-beach party-mussels?
September-Fall fun
October-Halloween party
November-Craft open house?
December-Christmas eve children's christmas pageant

Looking forward to tweaking this with everyone!

How many people do you consider a party?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Well Cathy....you are way ahead of me on party planning....but I will jump in with the first two months of the year...lol

January: Birthday of DFIL
Winter Movie Marathon (family)

February: Chinese New Years Eve (family & friends)
Valentines Candlelight Dinner

I'll add more later....my brain is still in Christmas lalala land!!!

Snicks

MHH Member
Dec 27, 2007
Minnesota
Wow, I'm jealous, some of you have a few months with nothing. Here's my list (don't faint, ok?):

Jan- New Year's, BIL Birthday, Sis birthday, Art Adventures at ds' school
Feb - Valentine's day, neice's birthday, sis and bil anniversary, concert at school
Mar - St. Pat's day, sil birthday, neice birthday, mom birthday, oh and Easter this year, Spring Break
Apr - Other sis' birthday, nephew's birthday, DH gone for a week (work)
May - NOTHING Woohoooo!!!!!
June - Nephew's birthday, Dad's birthday, School Out, SIL and family coming to visit
July - In law's anniversary, DH's birthday, MIL's birthday, Fourth of July, Family Reunion
August - Trip to MI and possibly Kentucky, Best friend's birthday
September - School Starts, my birthday
October - DD's birthday, Halloween
November - Nephew's birthday, FIL's birthday, BIL's birthday, neice's birthday, Thanksgiving
December - DS' birthday, brother's birthday, Christmas, neice's birthday, Holidazzle Parade (weekend in hotel)

Sheesh, I'm tired after typing that.