2010 Christmas crafts & gift crafts

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

mrahoffman

Retire Member
Dec 2, 2008
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I just went to our local fabric store...

and bought enough material to make my friends and their children Christmas aprons...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I recently bought a Teach Yourself to Crochet kit and my mom is helping me out. I am working on test peices now and want to make a scarf for DH for next Christmas and maybe a couple more for other family members.

Also plan on making ornaments with the kids to give as gifts to their aunts, uncles, god parents and grand parents.

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I want to do pillowcases and pjs for all the grandchildren, aprons (from my grandmother's pattern) for my aunts and my daughters, and a few simple applique quilts. My neice got an American girl doll and if she's still into it by fall I want to make her clothing and accessories for her birthday and Christmas. DH promised to burn all the family pictures to CDs for his sibs so if we both finish this list we'll be in good shape for Christmas.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Hmm I wonder if we could find a way to transfer them from knitting to crochet patterns using front post and back post stitches to make the design stand out? I'll look into it and give it a try later this week :)

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I had planned on making most of my gifts this year. Even bought everything needed. But it all fell thru. Maybe next year I won't have a monkey wrench thrown in to the frey, and I will get things done. Hopefully, the DD and DDILs will give me measurements when I ask for them! I never did get any to make the p.j./lounging pants for the DGC!

I would also like to fancy up some towels with ribbon or trim for some folks....I sewed some satin ribbon on some tea towels on Sunday, and also some leopard print ribbon on some hand towels. Takes just a few minutes, and it looks so nice. You could also decorate some napkins and placemats, too.

I have tons of ideas. Just not tons of time. See why I want to retire? lol

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Dreamer: Look into Tunisian Crochet. You use a long crochet hook and the stitches come out looking just like knit stitches only thicker, which on a face cloth might not be a bad thing. I first found something on this type of crochet back in the 70's but I have noticed some references to it coming back into style on the yarn websites.
`Allison

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
With the Christmas cd's, you might want to make sure you aren't violating any copyright laws. I thought I read somewhere that you are allowed to copy it into various forms of media for your own use, but not make copies to distribute (even though they are free). I would just double check......wouldn't want anyone to get into trouble.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Lionbrand.com really has a lot of nice patterns for both crochet and knitting. I haven't taught myself to knit, but I'd love to try socks with their multicoloured sock yard too. (I'm not affiliated with LB, just a big fan of their quality stuff.) I think knit socks and blankets would make great gifts. I mostly crochet so I'm looking at their patterns for crochet bath sets.

I made some sox for gifts this year and they were very well received. I hope to make some more for other people on my gift list this year.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I would love to find some fabric with Gingerbread men to make curtains for my kitchen; what a wonderful ideal Lucie thanks.

My sister and I went to the Christmas store at Schlitterbaln Texas, Amazing place!
they had several large portraits of Santa; my sister and I were drooling over them. So I will be painting some Santa paintings for us this year!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Still haven't found the fabric!!

Oh a Santa picture, what a great idea!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
With the new baby coming in Feb I do not have any big plans for crafting presents this year - at least not yet - I will have to wait and see how I cope with all the new to do tasks of life!!! :)

I would like to make ornaments this year - and I think DH would love to help - he was talking about wanting to do that more from now on.

I have some paper mache type ornaments in mind from an issue of BH&G Holiday Crafts magazine from a couple of years ago. They are SO cute! Maybe those could by my one craft for the year - making several to give an gifts and keeping some for ourselves as well. :)

I would like to knit dishcloths and/or crochet scarves this year too, but we will see!