2015 Cleaning Challenge

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Dish Towels done

I'm in. I did start cleaning out kitchen towels today. I ordered new kitchen towels while ordering Christmas gifts online this year. I have them all washed, matched with hanging towels and a dish drying towel (flour sack cloth) and put away. The old towels are going out of the house since I have way too many rags right now.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm not sure how much of this I would get completed, but I need to go through a lot of the paper work type stuff I have. I keep saying I'm going to get rid of some of the dishes I have (I love old diner-type stoneware) by listing them on E-bay. I'm intimidated about getting started, so I'm procrastinating on that.

Going through things at my sister's burned house is motivation to do something, though.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Selling on eBay is really easy once you get started. Find a shipping box and get a shipping price before putting them on. Make sure to do a confirmation delivery once you mail. There are people on there who will say they didn't receive it when they really did. These people will bid and then ask you to send it without a confirmation. We tell them absolutely not. Which is also in our description when we list it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm thinking of using the 2015 declutter calendar and my own spring-cleaning list... but January is picking up and prepping my new 2015 christmas notebook and 2015 goals.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Thanks so much for posting this Antonia. I checked last week and wasn't able to find it on that site. I was attempting to get my calendar set up and of course it's now wrong. I forgot about the list week. Oh well, as long as the work gets done who cares where it's written.

Diedra, I love the idea of starting off with beautiful new kitchen towels. It's something we look at and use every single day so it needs to be pretty. LOL

Lucie, I'm so glad you are joining us with your customized version.

Jane, I'm sorry about your sisters house fire. You can do this. Even if you only accomplish a few things in each room it's more than most and will make a difference when Easter rolls around and the family shows up.

Things like this does make us take stock of our own homes. Speaking of which, please, please, please friends.....................do a complete written and pictorial inventory of each room as you complete them at the end of the week. I've lost my home and you have no idea how stressful it is to try and remember every item you own let alone how many pair of underwear you had in that drawer. Sure a pair of underwear seems insignificant but when you have to spend the money to start replacing everything you own it goes into the tens of thousands of dollars a lot quicker than you can imagine. So please add this task to your final day of each week and count every single thing in addition to taking pictures.

I'm in and I can't wait to get started. With your support I can do this. :grouphug:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Amen to the inventory! If nothing else, just go through each room/drawer/closet with a video camera/smart phone camera. You can always use that to reconstruct a written inventory later if needed.

We are going to do that once a year from now on. We will hopefully never need it again, but it is just an ounce of prevention as they say. A little peace of mind!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I'm in. I did start cleaning out kitchen towels today. I ordered new kitchen towels while ordering Christmas gifts online this year. I have them all washed, matched with hanging towels and a dish drying towel (flour sack cloth) and put away. The old towels are going out of the house since I have way too many rags right now.

If you have a local animal shelter, take your old towels there. They will be used for the animals they care for in the shelter.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I'm in...I fell off the HGP/HHW wagon around Halloween...lots of personal stuff going on and TOO MANY HOUSEGUESTS! Ugh. My house shows the wear and tear...especially since DS was staying in our bedroom for the entire month of December. I NEED this plan. Please hold me accountable and feel free to give me a virtual kick in the tush if needed! ;)

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I am in-will try to keep close to schedule-sure need too! Really trying to get on top of the paperwork before doing taxes this year. And amen to the inventory!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
"Better Late Than Never" in 2015!!!!! I am ready to join in!!!!! Hurray for us!!!!!

This week is "the Living Room"! I will have to add in…. last week's "Entryway". That's OK because the calendar is pretty clear for this week….. except….. dsil has a business trip from Tuesday-to-Friday! So there will be some extra driving! Seeing the grandsons is always a pleasure….. so that will ADD energy to the mix!!!!!

Today…. I will work on the small coat-closet, which is next to the front door. Unfortunately… I tend to "throw stuff in there". I think I will drag a chair over…. with boxes for "Give Away" and bags for "Trash"…. AND cleaning supplies handy.

How are YOU doing?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love this idea. I always find the house needs cleaning most right after Christmas.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I'm in!!

I was hoping for something like this for the new year.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
EVERYTHING is better and more fun…. when we do it WITH our MHH Family!

This week is the Living Room…. and I need to add in The Entryway. Today, I have been working….. on PAPERWORK!!!! WHAT???? Somehow….. THAT is what I "feel like" working on!!!! So….. that is what I have been doing! I am "counting on"…. waking up one day…. and discovering that…. I "feel like" working on the living room and the entryway! After all…. we have the whole week…. not just today!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Why isn't it posted weekly like we do the holiday cleaning plan so that we can focus and participate in the weekly focus and progress?

This afternoon is all about glass and electronics in my livingroom. I have 3 sets of French doors, 4 windows and lots of electronics such as tv, computer, printer, digital boxes, xbox, dvd players, bose system, and even the ceiling fan that requires some tender loving care. Ewwww, and a good sanitizing of all those remote controls is in order.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Chilli - So glad you started this thread. My living room is pretty much empty, so I went back and started with the entryway today. It's clean! It's never clean. Also discovered the bad smell in my house that's been driving me crazy. Lifted up the rug, and apparently my dog has been using it as a pee pad. All clean and smelling fresh now!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I'm in. I missed the first two weeks, but that's okay. I'm still in. Can anyone post a weekly reminder of what the assignment is or does someone specific take care of it?
I am headed to ds's house to babysit while dil takes dgd to doctor. Sickness hit their house this week. Dil thinks it's strep.
Upon arrival back home I will tackle my livingroom!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I felt really motivated this morning, so got my entry way cleaned up.

I washed the inside and outside of the front door, washed the glass panel above the door. I cleaned the entry closet doors, vacuumed out the shoe bins and decluttered the bins of hats, gloves etc.

I have another bag to take to the thrift store.

I will make a list of things to do in the living room and start in there tomorrow or Thursday

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My living room only has a few pieces of furniture. We intentionally left it so there are no surfaces to put anything on. It's the first room you walk into when you walk into the house, so it is always presentable. I did manage to get my entryway cleaned out completely though....looks so much better now.
I bought some closet organizers on clearance from Walmart today too, so I'm actually looking forward to cleaning out the bedroom closets.