A Magical Wedding!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I have a new project!! My nephew has announced he is getting married May 17-this May 17th! So, we have a bridal brunch (in lieu of a shower), a rehearsal dinner and a wedding, reception and after-reception party to plan! whoo hoo!

Actually, they are pretty well set with their plans...they KNOW what they want and have apparently been working on it for a while, so I'm focusing on my only part for the moment-the bridal brunch!

Our bride and groom have combined two households, so they don't need anything as far as household stuff or traditonal wedding shower stuff, so my mom and i have decided to have a girly brunch for the bride and her friends. I love this stuff!

Here's my very tentative plans, and the fact of the matter is I'm planning this as I type...so....it's a rough draft!

The wedding colors are black and white with red accents-doesn't that sound yummy? She is using red roses as her flower choice, along with a lot of greenery such as ferns and ivy. This girl is fabulous with coming up with practical, yet pretty ideas!

Since the wedding colors mimic my kitchen colors, that will also be the brunch colors! I know that I'm going to use a black tablecloth as the base, with a white damask type cloth layered on that, and black and white gingham on top of that. I'll use black wrought iron candleholders with white pillar candles, some red glittered cones (shhhh....don't tell anyone they are Christmas decorations!), and of course a rabbit or rooster stuck here and there! I'm brainstorming right now on favors, but I'm kind of thinking about small bags of bath salts or something along those lines...maybe little pedicure kits....something like that. Also, I am considering ordering napkin rings from Oriental trading for this and using black and white linen napkins. Check out the napkin rings at http://www.orientaltrading.com. They are so cute!

I am thinking we'll have something fruity for an appetizer, such as fruit kabobs with cheese and crackers , then a main course of quiche or egg pie of some sort, salad with strawberries and pecans and strawberry vinegarette, croissants, fruit salad and of course--cake!! Maybe cupcakes, maybe carrot cake, maybe chocolate cake, maybe a sampling of all of them! We'll have coffee and juice, too.

I also want to do a champagne bar, with orange juice and peach schnapps for mimosas and bilinies, along with slices of fresh oranges and peaches and whole strawberries to jazz up the drinks. I'll also offer a sparkling juice for those who chose not to indulge in the champagne. I already own a few champagne flutes, but I'll gather some more in the next few weeks so that we can use real glasses, not plastic.

My theme will be "Eat, Drink and Be Married", which I borrowed from Tracey at http://www.acottageindustry.blogspot.com. She has the BEST ideas ever, and just finished a black and white wedding for her daughter, so I have a ton of ideas! Keep watching over at my blog for updates!!

That's what I've got planned for now...more details as they become available!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love to hear about the wonderful wedding plans! This sounds so nice. It's like you've had this planned for a long time. Don't forget to ask everyone to bring a christmas ornament for the new couple.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
It sounds beautiful. Have a great time planning it. I have attended two different brunches for gals I knew who were getting married. The first had a light salad and fruit brunch on a Sat at noon. I went to a brunch last May and the Brides MIL gave everybody a china cup and saucer filled with a tea bag that had the couples name and date of wedding on it and some kisses.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Sounds like you've thought of just about everything!

My wedding was black, white, red and silver. Everything was about white or red roses as far as decor went. Two ideas I had for favours were little heart shaped boxes filled with soap petals shaped into red roses, and a soap petal rose on a long stem. They also have rose candles set on long stems.

http://www.myweddingfavors.com/Search.aspx?q=rose <-- here's a link to a page that has all three of the items I mentioned as well as some other rose-themed gifts. They look so cute.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think everything about weddings is positively delicious!!! Your ideas sound beautiful, Cathymac!

Less than two months until the wedding! Please keep us posted about all the details - so we can enjoy everything right along with you! :grouphug:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks, everyone. I noticed that I messed up the Oriental Trading link, as usual. I just can't get that right for some reason! Anyway, if you go to the main site and click on weddings, then on tabletop accessories or some such it's a little way down that page...the giant diamond rings are the ones I'm thinking about!

I love the rose soap petal idea. Very cute!

We are meeting soon to nail down details about who's doing what, so as soon as I get my assignment, I'll be reporting in! LOL!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Funny how everything changes around here in a blink of an eye! I didn't get to do the brunch-too much life going on with all of us...no one had a free Saturday, including me! But, never fear, I have not been left out of the festivities!!

My mom and I volunteered to do the rehearsal dinner...ok, I volunteered both of us. My (ex)sister in law is making the wedding cake and the groom's cakes (cheesecakes), plus my niece (the groom's sister) has a lot going on...she's graduating from nursing school on Thursday, May 15! So, needless to say, DSIL is BUSY! Plus, she has a full time job, so she really is stretched thin. Anyway...we are decorating and cooking for the rehearsal dinner. I"m also helping with the sanctuary for the ceremony and the reception.

Here's a few details...I'll be sharing the whole big, festive, fun and fancy event on my blog after it's all over...probably a few days after! We have the graduation on Thursday, the rehearsal on Friday, the wedding on Saturday and a graduation banquet for another niece (on DH's side) on Sunday night. It's going to be a busy weekend!!

The rehearsal is an Italian garden themed event, with the catch phrase being "We Do". We'll be using red and white table linens, clear glass hurricane globes with floating red heart candles, tons of fresh ivy and honeysuckle, white dishes with silver chargers...white cloth napkins tied up with red satin, white sheer and very thin black ribbon with a hand-made handtag that says "we do", stamped in double hearts on the tag.

The wedding is black and white with red accents. I'll be using white tulle as "garlands" on the choir rail with white Christmas lights under it, so that it sort of glows. Hopefully, it'll look something like this

I am making corsages and bootineers from red silk roses. The corsages have little snips of white tulle, pearl sprays and green leaves. I have made pew bows from black satin ribbon and white tulle with ivy sprays. The family pews will have white flower sprays and red roses attached to them also. I really don't know how to describe them, so I'll just leave it at that and post pictures on my blog or photobucket account when I get them done.

The reception will have the same hurricane globes with red rose floating candles, ferns, etc. That will be a trial and error process after the rehearsal dinner...I have general ideas in my head and know what I have to work with, so it'll be fine.

I am so excited about all of this. The kids are so much in love and so excited about the whole thing...I can't wait for their magical day!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This sounds so elegant! I know you will make it very special. Looking forward to seeing the photos when you have time. Your family is so blessed to have you!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
That sounds enchanting, Cathymac. What I think is the most beautiful gift is the love and support you are giving the bride and groom. That is truly a special gift to be treasured. :grouphug:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I posted a picture of the corsages over at The Hamlet. This particular one is for the Mother of the Sweetest Groom Since Mine. Her's is the only wrist corsage! The others are similar, only with fewer roses. Grandmothers' get two, servers at the reception get one. I'll be posting more!

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Cathy-
Let me start out by saying, you're imagination & ability to design and transform your ideas into beautiful feelings of love & joy are incredible. The Bride & Groom are going to be ecstatic with all you are doing!

The "corsage" you shared with us over at the Hamlet is gorgeous. I would love to be a guest @ the rehersal dinner & wedding/reception. To see all your work in person would be awesome!

I've had my own challenges in the past with helping a bride with everything from choosing her dress, decorating the church, decorating the banquet/dance hall & attending to her every desire before the wedding and at the reception. It's exhausting & exhilarating at the same time!

Kudos to YOU!!!
Pippi

P.S.--Have you thought about going into the event planning business on the side?!!! LOL...as if there are a few more hours in the day!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Keep up the awesome work! Good luck finishing things up, getting ready for Saturday! :party:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Well! It's over! And it was wonderful!!

First let me say thanks for all the good wishes and kind comments-you are all so sweet!

I'll be getting details posted soon. Unfortuantely my camera died and I couldn't get many pictures. I think someone else got some good ones, and I'll try to get copies emailed to me so that I can put them on the blog or on Photobucket.

It was so fun and the beautiful couple are so much in love that, as my friend said, "it's almost sickening". They are precious kids and I want the very best for their lives, and even as worn out physically and broke financially as I am, (lol) I'd do it again in a nano-second for them, or for any of their siblings or cousins! I had three young ladies ask me if I would plan and decorate for their weddings! None are pending, so I said "sure!!'

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am so glad it turned out like you expected. And I'm glad to hear you have three future bookings for your new wedding business. Start thinking of how much you will charge. Charge he same as other wedding planners or MORE. You are well worth the money!

I send you wishes for a few days of rest!