Anybody anxious to get Hallowe'en over with so CHRISTMAS can start?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
I am not a big Halloween person, but the kids and I decorate/pumpkin carve and they love to dress up. It's not my thing, but I do my best.

But I get all butterflies-in-stomach when I think Nov 1 I can start legitimately listening to Christmas tunes and officially throw myself into Christmas!

ANYONE ELSE anxious to get this Halloween stuff over with so CHRISTMAS can start?! :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I understand how you feel. I was thinking that it would be nice if one of these holidays was in a different month so I could enjoy it a little more. I love the change in the air of fall and the leaves changing so I feel guilty in a way that I rush it to get to Christmas b/c I just love Christmas so much. I do a little decorating and the boys enjoy carving pumpkins. I am looking forward to it being on a Sat. so that we have the day off to enjoy before trick or treating and no school tomorrow. But I am def. counting down the days till I can start decorating for Christmas.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I do love Christmas, but I'm a fall girl. I love the change of seasons and all the colors, sights and sounds. I like to enjoy it to the maximum. Since our Thanksgiving is in November, I don't do anything as far as Christmas decor until after that. But then it's on!!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I enjoyed Halloween as a kid, but it has gotten so scary, I just want it to be over. I don't decorate for Halloween, but I do decorate for fall. I love fall, but I love Christmas more! I'll do a little bit of decorating before Thanksgiving (guest room, lights on sunporch, etc.), but the day after, I'm overtaken by my annual bout of Christmas Insanity, which lasts until I force myself to put the decorations away around Jan. 6.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What a great idea for a thread! It makes me rethink my attitude towards Halloween 2009!

Hmmmmm....... Halloween......... I love it because it is magical for children. I love it because it brings people together...... neighbors giving candy to adorable, happy children! I start to celebrate early -- adding more and more outside decorations as the days of October go by. (Nothing scary. I don't do scary.) I think it is an absolutely wonderful holiday!

I DO wish it came at a different time of year. It is so close to Thanksgiving and Christmas and Hannaukha and New Years. These are all great holidays and they kind of get smooshed together.

And -- since I can't get the Christmas boxes down from the attic until I put all the Halloween things away........ I guess I do look forward to having out of the way!!! But..... I want to enjoy every minute of the day tomorrow!!!!

jennmet

Retire Member
I can't wait till tomorrow is over! Bring on NOV 1st I'm bring out the Christmas stuff (slowly). I will be taking down all my Halloween decore either tomorrow night or sunday!!! lol I'm soooooooo pumped for this Christmas season!!! Love it! :)

masslass

Retire Member
Nov 10, 2008
Massachusetts, USA
I absolutely love the autumn. It's such a beautiful season here in New England, with all the colorful leaves, going apple picking, going hiking. So I'm in no rush to start Christmas, as much as I love that too.

I liked Halloween as a child, then didn't pay any attention to it for a long time, and now I enjoy it again, mainly because I've got 2 kids who have fun on this day.

Once Halloween's over, I start thinking about Thanksgiving, and I do a bit of Christmas shopping and other Christmas preparatory work (i.e. locating boxes of decorations in the basement), but I decorate and start "properly" celebrating the season after Thanksgiving.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
We're not big on Halloween. Pumpkins, yes. Halloween, not so much. We'll carve our pumpkin tomorrow; ran out of time to do it sooner. We made a cake shaped like a pumpkin, but the costume stuff doesn't draw much interest here.

We are Christmas people. I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I do kind of agree with you. I love autumn and enjoy Halloween but this year I really just want it over with. I think it's beacuse we've had so many Halloween events already this year (a party, a school Halloween stroll, school parties) that I feel like Halloween should be done already. Tomorrow seems an after-thought. I'm ready to move on, though trying to be "up" for the kids.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Happy Halloween! Today...... I picked up some MORE candy at the drug store..... just in case. And..... as the Halloween candy was disappearing...... they were filling in those shelves with Christmas candy! That is how smooth the trade-over is at our drug store!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I totally enjoy Halloween. But these past few days (I've been decorated for 2 weeks), I was ready to move on... my Christmas prep is taking a beating!

Boobash was last night. I'm leaving decorations for tonight but tomorrow it all goes away in the attic and Christmas prep can start in earnest.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm so ready to start the Christmas season. I love it all. I do love the fall season, but could do without the whole Halloween thing. We do carve pumpkins and the kids dress up and trick or treat, but that's about it for me.

I am sipping a cup of Celestial Seasons Candy Cane Lane tea right now....

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Oh - Teachermom, I'm going to have to try that tea. I'm not much of a coffee person because it gives me heartburn, but I love peppermint, and might like it in hot tea.

I too am ready for Halloween to be over. I don't know why this year.

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Glad I'm not alone! Here in Canada our thanksgiving is in Oct, so as soon as Nov 11 is done I start slowly decorating for Christmas.

Halloween just seems to have gone from fun to gory...it used to be for the kids and now people get a kick out of decorating their houses like they're graveyards. It's not my ball of wax. I love when the little guys come to the door, but last year I had a trick or treater yapping on his cell phone while he stood at my door. Give me a break.

We are having some dear friends and their kids over to trick or treat and take pictures - as soon as the kids are tired and the candy is gone, the lights go out and Dh and I plan to kick back with an old movie and a glass of red wine to celebrate!

Fall/Halloween stuff will be back in it's box tomorrow and I start listening to Christmas radio Nov 1. :)

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Not much of a halloween person anymore but,just go with it can't wait to do the christmas thing as that's my time of year,my home is all decorated in time for thanksgiving can't wait to get at it.:sleigh:::eek:rnament::tree:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
OK -- it is 8:30 on Halloween night. The weather is terrific --- in the 60's. So.... we had the big Halloween party in the street! There was tons of great food and wine and beer! Tons of juice boxes and pizza for the kids. The kids were running around in their Hallowen costumes --- so happy1

I TELL YOU --- THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO PARTY IN THE STREET --- THAT IS SO GREAT!!!! And, I mean " literally" party IN the street. Not fancy. Free and open and fun. I see some people coming to the party --- and being uncomfortable with the whole idea of actually standing in the middle of the street. (Blocked off to traffic. (Uncomfortable with drinking from a beer bottle or a plastic cup of wine or juice. Uncomfortable with eating pot luck food on a paper plate.) And -- these people -- make kind of "well bred, snooty faces of disapproval" --- and turn around and leave quickly! It is just NOT their idea of fun!

So...... with this kind of people gone...... the people who are left have the best time ever! It is friendly and informal and just wonderful!

So..... right now..... I am perfectly comfortable and perfectly happy! I am not anxious for any other day to come. I am at peace with this day!!!

But tomorrow morning........... I bet I will really be ready for Christmas! Talk to you tomorrow! Sweet dreams!

mlou

Retire Member
Nov 16, 2008
Virginia
I like Halloween but agree that it can get too scary. It's hard for my DD who is 5. She has a peanut allergy and has a hard time understanding she can't eat some of the candy she got. So, I'm glad it's over. Tomorrow I'll start getting the Christmas decorations out of the attic. I'm SO excited!!!!!

MerryHOHOHO

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Maryland
OK -- it is 8:30 on Halloween night. The weather is terrific --- in the 60's. So.... we had the big Halloween party in the street! There was tons of great food and wine and beer! Tons of juice boxes and pizza for the kids. The kids were running around in their Hallowen costumes --- so happy1

SparkleNana, I want to live where you live!! Wine in the street is my idea of fun any day.

I just got home from seeing my grandson and neices and nephews in their costumes and walking around with them. It was so sweet to see my son with his 6 month old.

But Im ready to enjoy the fall for the next few weeks, but secretly Im already in Christmas mode. I love love love this time of year

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Ok, I am a Halloween grinch...LOL It's 8:45 pm and it'd been quiet here for about 30 mins. ALL my halloween/fall stuff is already in the box, and our pumpkins are sitting outside - we've decided to implement a new tradition tomorrow - the smashing of our jack-o-lantern the next day. My 9 and 13 year olds just thought that sounded awesome. :) Should be fun transferring it to the composter after that!

I rather like how neat my house looks without all the extra decor...Nice to have my regular pictures and stuff out for a few weeks. :)

I have a friend who has all her Christmas stuff up starting today - just a titch too early for me. LOL Plus I feel strongly that I want veterans to have their day of honour.

Hope you guys all had a fun day.