April Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
April 5th! Yesterday was warm and sunny and wonderful! I finished preparing the porch for outdoor living! It was SO NICE to be out there!!!!!

Today.... a general "blitz" of the entire house! Summer weather is on the way! And... to me, the house FEELS cooler....... when it is clean and uncluttered!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
The "general blitz" of the house went well! The more times you "go over" a room.... the better! (NOT the more times in one day. Coming back with "fresh eyes" is what is good!) Also... spending many hours of very hard work.... such as I did today.... Also helps a lot!

There are two bedrooms. By the conclusion of the "blitz"..... the master bedroom looked great! And the "guest bedroom"..... looked better...... but not great. (Junk always ends up in the office/guest bedroom.) This room still needs a lot of work! (That's OK.)

The back porch looked great. Comfortable and inviting. (And it will only get better.... as flowers come into bloom).

The front yard looked nice (remember all the work done by the college student, on his spring break.)

April 2011 has really just begun!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
The decorations we took down from my daughters room, I officially sold yesterday on Craigslist. Made $120.00 to cover some of the cost of the new stuff and paint. That's exciting and it's all gone and not sitting around. I worked in the bathroom and linen closet yesterday. I tossed 2 small trash cans full of stuff we didn't need. Condensed things and tossed wrappers and larger storage packages we didn't need. Cleaned the inside of the shelves and medicine cabinet and it all looks nice.

Oh..and I even got the walk in shower downstairs cleaned out (the one we used for storage) and settled on new places for that stuff, including the food. So my DH has the point that's it's cleaned out and ready for his repairs! I'll get back with you on that one.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Havn't gotten much done really. Did go through the boys clothes and get ride of stuff stuff for the yard sale pile. Now need to set a date for one and get thet stuff out of here. I keep considering putting stuff on craigs list but have yet to get to it.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today, we are getting a "taste" of summer weather! Temperatures may go into the 80's!!! My attention is REALLY going to the "outside living areas" today!!!!

Things are in pretty good shape outside. The outside furniture is set up comfortably. Of course..... there is always "unlimited" gardening work to do! And... that is GREAT.... since gardening is my "passion" and is also my "exercise/strength builder"!!!!

Summer is my LEAST successful "decluttering season". I really slow down.... on physical work.... when it is really hot and humid! Oh... progress WILL be made during the summer..... it will just go more slowly than at other times of the year.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
We can't tackle outside living areas much here until May. Never know when the snow will hit. The other day it was in the high 70's, went to bed and woke up to snow. yeah!! But I think I'm going to repaint my outdoor furniture too this spring. I'm on a roll, now if I can get it all done.

Sparklenana, I hear you about summer. I'm going to try my hardest to get the hard work done now, so I can focus on deep cleaning when it gets warmer. At least I'll be inside with the air is how I think about it. At least till July, when I do my Christmas stuff.

I'm going to go into my spare room tonight and at least commercial clean while DWTS is on. Some is better then none!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
MinnieCo...... even though we are all FAMILY... we are all "individual" too! and... there are things that really "work" for some of us! And for others of us.... well..... not so much!!! We need to design our "individual game plans"..... while supporting and encouraging each other!

TODAY.... was a cool... "normal"... spring day. And.... I was able to get a lot done! Well.... we will support each other.... and we will "stick together".... and we will CONTINUE to make progress!!! Together!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
SparkleNana, you are absolutely right. If you thought I was saying otherwise, I apologize. I was just saying I agree. I try to get the hardcore stuff done myself while it's cooler in the spring and then save the actual cleaning portion for summer. That way I'm not lifting and hauling boxes and bags and doing heavy work. Others like the summer to do work and feel better. Not me!

I filled a small bag today with old sheets and pillowcases and took my old bathroom stuff to the Goodwill.

Remember.. Progress, not Perfection!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
OhMyGosh... MinnieCo.... I DID think that you (we) agree!!!

It is so wonderful to communicate here... but it is sometimes "difficult".... because we can't hear tone of voice and see gestures and body language! Luckily... we all express love "verbally" too! NOT "love of decluttering"... LOL! i do not love decluttering! I DO love our MHH Family!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You are right. I'm like...OMG I totally didn't mean to offend her. It's hard sometimes. I thought I offended one of the family...No outcast for me!! LOL

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thursday, April 14th! Our trash pickup is on Fridays..... so Thursday is the day I give things a quick "once-over".... hoping to get some extra items out-the-door.... and into the trash cans! At the same time.... I try to get some things into bags in the trunk of the car.... to drop off at the Thrift Shop.

Yesterday..... I was able to spend lots of time working outside. It was wonderful.... after all the rain.... things were almost growing in front of my eyes! The forsythia have finished blooming. Now is the time to cut them back.... and to transplant a few of the "babies".

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
On Wednesday night, I saw a very interesting program on the "Hoarders" series. It was a man with a 3-year old son. The man loved his son.... and bought many, many, MANY toys for the 3-year old. Eventually.... the wife moved herself and the 3-year old OUT of the house.... and would not bring the 3-year old inside to visit..... because the place was filled PAST the point of safety! Too many toys... new... in their boxes. There was barely room to move in the house.... with huge piles EVERYWHERE!

The father could not SEE that.... while each individual toy was "great"..... so many toys created a big toxic dump.... rather than a place to play!

With LOTS of professional help (provided by the TV show).... the father was able to empty his house into a clean, pleasant place. (There were still lots of white boxes... stacked in some rooms.... but the house was presentable.)

The big difference was.... a BEAUTIFUL PLAYROOM had been created for the little boy. It was brightly painted and decorated.... the floor was covered with a colorful, CLEAN rug. The TV show showed the father, mother and 3-year-old-son in the playroom.... sitting at a child-sized table and chairs.... being happy together.

I remember that Peter Walsh surveys the cluttered domain of each "clutterer" on his TV show. Then, Peter calmly asks them "What would you like this room to be used for, and to look like?" Only then.... with the "big picture" in mind.... do they start decluttering and purging stuff.

Of course, the "clutterer" does not have to clean, repair, paint and decorate the NEWLY decluttered room. The staff of the TV show does that.

So.... our OWN decluttering is more difficult!!!!!!

WE have to figure out what we want each space to look like.... and what we want to "do" in that space.

Then we need to "kind of design" the space in our mind..... and begin the "decluttering process". THE WHOLE THING IS A LOT OF WORK!!!!! Luckily.. we have a year!!! Luckily.... Baby Steps work!!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I find myself moving things again this go around. Trying to figure out a better space. Some of it ended up in my closet and I'm not sure how I'll feel about that latter, but it gets it out of the view in the kitchen and in the high shelves I can't reach. I do have it covered and stacked nicely on the top shelf. However, I find myself getting kind of angry that my space is invaded and my husbands not using his space. It's not as bad as it may sound, but I'm still purging and I hope he gets the bug a bit.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Little buy little. my goal was for my bed room but with stuff every day for the next week not sure what I will get done this month. I did go into my closet and get rid of 2 nicer dresses. One I had not worn for at least 4 yrs and while the jacket was a bit dated it was old and no need to keep the dress part if I won't wear it again any time soon. The other was a "llittle black dress" that I have never worn when some one gave it to me yrs ago. I have since bought a new one (90% from Kohls) and even thoug I have not worn that one either it is a much better style/fit for me so I kept that one instead. Today I went through my pajamas. I like PJs and have more than I need. I did get rid or some of those as well. Considering tackling my tank top drawer in a just a minute. I may not get rid of any b/c I use a lot of them under shirts but I have more than my drawer can hold. OK decision made gonna put up the last load of laundry and do that now. Back in a bit.

BTW-keep up the good work ladies.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Clothes are hard. I really bit the bullet this time when I took all that stuff out of mine. It HURTS sometimes! :)

Today I dropped of another 2 paper boxes at the thrift store. I did go through the cabinet I keep all my candles in. I managed to get rid of a ton of candle holders. Ones I've not used in forever. I still have a nice basic set for a variety of sizes, mostly clear to, so they will work with different settings. I also went through that drawer of mine to get rid of placemats. I even have some extra room, so I plan on moving a few things in one of the drawers. Those drawers were one of the things on my check list for the month.. Whooohooooo!!

Feels good to get rid of all this stuff.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Went through my tank tops and got rid of a few. Not many and 2 of them I had to talk my self out of keeping. I liked them but don't have any thing to wear them with.
Baby steps it feels good for every one that leaves the house.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, 4/15. We have had a few bursts of high temperatures..... high enough to remind us what summer feels like!!!! That makes "spring weather" even MORE delightful!!!!!

Lots and lots of "real life" going on! That means that "decluttering" gets squeezed into tiny steps! Sigh! Well..... at least, I "Want to declutter"..... we have learned that the rewards of decluttering are delightful!!!!!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I got my DS#1 to take my old coffee table to my friend who was here a couple of weeks ago. They live in the same town. One more thing OUT the door! And I'm getting more ready to go! Last weekend, I cleaned out my linen closet. I purged some things, and have some other things to go to the thrift store! Yay! AND I gave a set of sheets, a blanket, and a bed skirt to a struggling college girl.

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
Today was trash and recycle pick up so all that's gone from the house. I just went through 5 old magazines and I only tore out 2 pages for recipes to keep. I dropped them in the recycle bin. I have a crate of old magazines which is the last thing I need to go through from cleaning out our closet. My hubby has a crate too, which will be much harder to get rid of (he's a bit of a pack rat). I just got rid of a bag of Easter decorations and an old CD changer through Freecycle too. It's so satisfying to get rid of stuff!