April Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Good job Pam and CraftyLady. Nothing around here today. I was baking all day.Give and Take... :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is SO HELPFUL to read about the efforts and the successes..... of our companions in this 2011 Declutter Club!!!!! The momentum keeps going on..... which is uplifting for us all!!!!!

Pam..... getting a heavy piece of furniture Out The Door is a big accomplishment!!! And it is so nice that that furniture found a good new home!

And CraftyLady...... getting rid of magazines we like...... that is really really tough!! Individually... they are so nice and comforting! But they do multiply..... into problems!!!

Today.... I MAY reward myself with a trip to the THRIFT SHOP.... IF I can put together a respectable collection of donations for them. I am "restricting" myself to looking at the "children's clothing". Last week, I found a beautiful summer dress by The Children's Place.... for dgd! She will be here in August.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
SparkleNana, so far we've bought all my daughters summers skirts and desses at the thrift stores. We've had fun in doing so too. It's like a hit and miss! We did get really excited on Thursday though becuase we overheard them saying they are going to start dividing their skirts by sizes, instead of color adn all the sizes mixed in. That will make it so much easier. They were the only ones left that don't and we have the most success at that store for some reason.

I think this way...I'm dumping off 2 bags or 2 boxes of stuff, a new skirt or new mirror for my wall isn't going to hurt if I actually use it and it makes it to the wall or closet!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Early evening, 4/16. MinnieCo.... my favorite Thrift Shop.... ALSO... does not separate clothes by style. By color instead. So.... it takes quite a long time.... to go through the clothes.

Today.... I brought a BIG basket, full of donations, to the Thrift Shop. The BIG basket was quite beautiful..... and was given to us when I had my broken leg, and was in the hospital. The basket was full of fresh fruit and baked goods, wrapped in cellophane. it was hard for me to give it away.... but I really didn't have use for it. Or..... have "space" for it.

When I brought my donations to the THRIFT Shop.... I saw that they had an "unscheduled"... special sale on ALL clothing..... 50% off! It was a rainy, stormy day.... and the Thrift Shop was VERY uncrowded. (On the "every other Sunday 1/2 off days"... the Thrift Shop is jammed..... and it is quite tiring to shop on those days.)

So.... I spent some time browsing. I found a beautiful shirt & pants outfit for my dgd... for $1. For myself... I needed some summer slacks. I was able to look through the selection of pants..... and find three great pairs of summer slacks.... for $2 each.

That shopping trip was a very nice break!!!! Before I left, I was able to take a big trash bag and a big "paper recycling" bag out of the house..... in addition to the donations for the Thrift Shop. This is in addition to the "daily trash bag" and daily recycling that goes Out The Door every day.

In addition to the decluttering, and the errands, all the "routine things" have been taken care of! today. It has been a good day!

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know, I'm afraid to go to the thrift store on Saturdays when they have 50% off everything. It would help a great deal, but I like going when it's empty and I'm not having to hurry or move out of the way. BUT then again, the extra savings would be nice. It's kind of like my new down time after work. A quick stop on the way home, is nice to chill for a few.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
4/17. Yesterday, TLC (The Learning Channel) ran several of the "Hoarders" programs. Seeing more than one program in a day.... I realized that there is a big difference between "hoarders" who live alone.... and those who live with other family members.

Remember that this TV series provides each person who is willing to be filmed with free psychological care, a free professional organizer, and paid help for the cleaning & carting away of items.

I'll talk about the "hoarders" who live with one or more family members. In some of the shows.... the "hoarder" seemed to care a great deal about the family members... and was able to work with the psychologist.... to reverse their hoarding. These shows (filmed over weeks and weeks) seemed to moved towards ongoing resolution of the hoarding issues. (With continuing therapy.)

In other cases.... the "hoarder" had tremendous anger toward the family members.... at the family's "lack of respect"... for the hoarder and the hoarde'r's feelings about the immense mass of items they had accumulated. In those cases... more and more anger was expressed by the "hoarder".... and a successful rearrangement of the living environment seemed impossible. In those cases.... after many weeks of unsuccessful effort..... it appeared that the other family members would eventually have to move out.

The cases where the "hoarder" lived alone.... were different. In many cases, they were able to "hide" the situation.... by keeping everyone out of their homes. So... the hoarding could become much much worse... and the sanitary conditions could really deteriorate. In some of these cases, the "hoarder" had become very isolated and lonely. And... intense work with the psychologist, the organizer, and all the other staff.... seemed to give the "hoarder" the strength to make great progress in "cleaning up the mess". Not in every case, though.

It is just very interesting to me.... to think about our relationships with "possessions".

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
April has not been too productive for me. We had a friend visit us for a couple weeks...hard to declutter...

The other night I was overcome by clutteritis.....lol...I felt like I would suffocate....I wanted to throw out EVERYTHING....I am tired of hoping people don't open to garage door....or the office door for that matter...LOL

The basement continues to be a HUGE effort as will be the garage....BUT for this week....I am going to put some time in on the office....It is a job I think I can actually finish in a week...thus resulting in a room where I can leave the door open...LOL.....It collects stuff so bad and it is a small room...PLUS I simply need to get rid of stuff....there is office stuff/computer/craft stuff in the room....too MUCH stuff....I am going to try to be RUTHLESS....so we shall see

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Remember Gingerbug, that's what Peter Walsh suggest. Get it all out of one room and decide what you want from that room. How do you want it to feel, what will it's purpose be and don't let the stuff return. Easier said then done I know, but that's how I'm thinking about it and that's why so much more is going this go around. To be honest, I'm just tired of my stuff too. I was watching Nate (from Oprah) and realized, that once I like something and decorate, I don't have to leave it that way for 10 years. I am allowed to change it and I think that's why I'm feeling so driven. I'm just tired of the same ol same ol!

Remember, 15 minutes is a good start! It will get a cabinet, a drawer, a shelf done. It will!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Gingerbug... I agree with MinnieCo... when you are in that kind of "Get Rid Of Stuff Mood".... go for it!!! And... having a house guest makes it really hard to do stuff!! Two weeks is a LONG time!!!!!!

MinnieCo..... I would LOVE to get everything out of a room.... and get the room painted/repaired.... and start fresh! That is a huge job.... well, huge when you have a lot of stuff! Getting rid of the stuff is a GREAT start.... doing it.... bit by bit!!!!!

A wind of inspiration blew through here.... and I got two big trash bags of stuff... Out The Door. I can look at something "dozens of times".... nothing happens..... and then I go by another time.... and decide to get rid of it!!!!!!! I realize I don't love it. I don't use it. AND THEN.... the magic part..... I don't want it!!! And... I can then "release it"!!!!!

It is so great when the momentum goes towards..... getting stuff OUT the door...... rather than bringing stuff in!!!! (And we are always bringing stuff in.... groceries.... mail.... newspapers.... etc. etc. etc.) I just try to keep the remains of this stuff going out as quickly as possible.. When I get something out of the refrigerator.... looking for stuff that is used up or past its prime or never going to be used up! I don't even count that as decluttering... although it IS! I just count it as keeping "steady" with the flow of stuff coming in.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Still Sunday, 4/17. Still in a "working mood"... which I attribute to the wonderful spring weather today!!!

More big trash bags, full of unwanted stuff, are going Out The Door! Some more attention has to be given to packing for our short trip. And... I think that everyone wants to leave their home as tidy as possible.... for that moment... when you walk in the front door... exhausted from the drive! You want to feel happy to be home. You DO NOT WANT to feel like running back out the door!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just spring cleaned the gift-craft-odd stuff closet. Did not throw enough away, but I did get some boxes out and relocated some other stuff. Need to redo my gift closet inventory though. I do have gifts that I never did give away and that I have had for a long time.. need to think what to do with those. That closet has too many vocations.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
"Bags of stuff" thats awesome!

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
It sounds like some great work was done this weekend. I was able to convince Hubby to bring his old broken CD changer to Best Buy for recycling (it was a gift and he has a hard time getting rid of any gift even if it's broken) and he got a part for our old lawn mower and got it running so we dropped it off for my friend who just bought a house last Fall. I also was able to give her some back of the door baskets that I had no need for and I collected a bag of trash from around the house and put that in the trash bin outside.

SparkleNana- I am fascinated by the Hoarders shows too. It's so interesting to get a glimpse into the way other people live their lives and learn from them.

MinnieCo- I was stuck in the decorating rut for a long time too where I would keep everything the same for years. I'm just recently redecorating whole areas or rooms and it's really freeing. I find that if I Freecycle the old decorations and imagine them having a new life it's so much easier to get rid of them because part of the reason I would keep them for so long is that I still kind of liked them and I couldn't throw away something that was cute or pretty.

Keep at it everyone, it's achievable and worth it.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I know I've said this before but the Hoarders show interest me to the exteme, but gives me the heebie jeebies..LOL So I watch it for a while, couple episodes, then I have to stop for awhile. But I do love Peter Walsh.

Crafty Lady, what kind of recycling do they do at Best Buy

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm happy to report that while DH was home, we cleaned out the garage, the bedroom, and the guest bedroom and donated alot of stuff to the D.A.V. Thrift Store, the rest went to the dump. Now I just need to do the storage room and our house will be completely de-cluttered, minus the small piles that creep up here and there. :)

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Yesterday I got rid of a none working sewing machine, and finally filled a box for the thrift store. I have a second box to start filling with some more stuff. Hope to do that tonight so I can take 2 boxes and get rid of more as the decrapifying of Spaur manor continues! It feels so good to do this!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Awesome work Mrs. Soup. Your DH deserves a gold star. Pam, decrapifying is awesome!

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
Best Buy now has an electronics recycling program where they will take any old computers, radios, CD players etc. (working or broken) for free and they send them to a third party to refurbish or to properly dispose of the parts. They also take TV's and monitors for a $10 fee, but they give you a $10 gift card to use at the store. There is a place on their website where you can choose your state and they will tell you what they take and the fees for your specific area.