August 2014 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I noticed no one has started the August thread....oh wait...it is only August 1st! I am so happy to see each of the monthly threads and to know you all have been busy making your homes more clutter-free. I have been working on it too but now I really want to get back in the swing of things.

Remember the dreaded basement that has been on my declutter list FOREVER? Well August is Basement month again so my declutter focus will be mainly in that part of the house...although I might take on the craft room too....it is horrid and I know with fall and Christmas I will want to do some creative things!

I'm excited about posting more and getting on track...so glad the declutter club is continuing ....

:clothes:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This is the month! I have to get going! I NEED my guest room.

It's useable but there are still some boxes pushed up against a corner and one large tote to go through.

I will have guests at the holidays- I want this room to be a lovely space for them!

I need this thread to keep me accountable. I will commit to posting once a week to report what I have gotten done.

Annie

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
That' a great idea....a once a week post.... I might do something like that too....or maybe twice a week...once with what I want to accomplish that week and once to say what I actually DID....I don't know will have to see how this unfolds.

:clothes:

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
I need to jump in this. My master bedroom and closet are horrible and in desperate need of some major decluttering.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Today I got rid of:
1 computer keyboard
1 computer mouse
1 set of loudspeakers for the computer
2 vases
1 basket
2 pillows
2 bedcovers
2 cushions
3 stuffed animals
some tupperware
5 vhs cassettes

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Add to the previous list:
Another computer mouse
1 frame
1 file folder

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DS's GF came over on Sunday and got into his room. Mind you I have been asking him for months to sort out things, but DGF asks once and he is all keen LOL.
Any way they have got 3 large garbage bags full of old clothes to go to the charity bin, plus 1 bag of trash into the bin. They both did a great job.

August I will be starting my spring cleaning list to start in September. YAY SPRING.
Due to much effort with decluttering over the past 2 years, there will not be too much to go through.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I've been working since July on decluttering.

Areas so far - linen closet done, craft/holiday storage closet done, wrapping paper/Christmas wrapping supplies, 5 drawers in kitchen done, pantry shelves done, cd and album collection done.

In progress (August) - vanity in master bathroom, paperwork (got about 10 lbs. of paper discarded on Sunday). DS's old bedroom/new guest room is almost cleared out.

I've gotten a lot done but so much to do still!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Today's decluttering:
1 pair of boots
Put 3 boxes in one of garbage bag, so could throw out 2 empty boxes
4 recipe books (no pictures ;) )
5 novels
2 more vhs cassettes
2 magazines

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
made agood will bag from the attic clothes I don't wear anymore magazines and some books and some knick knacks will drop off in the morning before I go to work

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Fantastic job everyone, let's keep going and see what we can decluttering by the end of August. Out it goes.

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
I need to tackle my closet and sort out clothes I don´t wear anymore...
but everytime I open it... I´m totally discouraged :(

SallyJ

Premiere Member
Jul 28, 2012
I'm sitting in my office staring at 8 bins full of clothes that don't fit any more. Year after year, I keep telling myself that I'll need them again. I'm thinking it's time to set myself free and just get rid of it all. The good news is that my closet looks awesome. My office not so good.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
hollybow- Just take out a few outfits at a time.
Close the closet back up. Go through those outfits only.
The outfits you are going to keep- put on one side of the closet- push them way to one side. Put what you are going to get rid of in a bag or box.
Then take out another few outfits.
As soon as you have 1 or 2 bags/boxes to get rid of take them right away. So you don't end up with another huge chore of loading up bags/boxes to get rid of.

That way it's just a small bit at a time and not so intimidating.

SallyJ- You will feel so lightened by getting rid of those clothes!

I'll be working on stuff this weekend! Will post my progress!

Excited!

Annie

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
Thanks AnnieClaus...I was thinking about getting 3 boxes : NO . Don´t know yet and Keeper .. and sort of pre-sort them... I will try it over the week-end... I´ll keep you posted about the progress...
SallyJ ... I know how you feel...lets make a deal... we declutter our clothes during the weekend and on monday we share our experiences :)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
hollybow- Look forward to hearing about your progress!

Annie

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Thinking I may be swinging my husband to the Declutter side - pack rat he is!

Making progress and tackling the hard to organize storage areas.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My husband is a pack-rat too! but slowly he is seeing how much it is to find things.

Got rid of a few bottles in the basement fridge... stuff ds had bought awhile back and used once.

SallyJ

Premiere Member
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks AnnieClaus...I was thinking about getting 3 boxes : NO . Don´t know yet and Keeper .. and sort of pre-sort them... I will try it over the week-end... I´ll keep you posted about the progress...
SallyJ ... I know how you feel...lets make a deal... we declutter our clothes during the weekend and on monday we share our experiences :)

Okay. Let's do it.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I didn't do squat this weekend on the decluttering side.

But I did plan some decluttering time into my week this week.

This evening I want to work on my car trunk. It's somehow become where I throw stuff from meetings/informational things I attend. It needs to go in the house or thrown out.

The only thing I want in my trunk is my spare tire, jumper cables, some of those reuseable grocery bags.

Annie