August 2014 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
wow... everyone is motivated and keeps moving forward... this is so inspiring!!!
great job everyone!!
My closet is finished ... all I have to do now is getting the sorted out stuff organized and packed for my mom charity or real throw out... will start on that tomorrow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Trying to write a list for the spring cleaning decluttering that I will start in September. Phew, it is a very long list. BUT I have time and the motivation and I must remember that my word for the year is COMPLETE.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yesterday got rid of 2 t-shirts and 1 magazine, dh got rid of 5 gallons of paint.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I only got rid of one small bag of things on Move It Out Monday. I feel like at this point I have been creating more of a mess than cleaning up. I have cleaned out the pantry and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with some of this "stuff". Also cleaned out some drawers that were honestly crammed full of things. I keep telling myself that I need to "deal" with these items not just stick them somewhere else. WOW....what was I thinking!!

:clothes:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Gingerbug- I tend to get very overwhelmed with big piles of "stuff" to go through.

My trick is to take a grocery plastic bag or tote bag and fill it from the big pile. Take it off to another room and go through just that. Then fill it again.

If you are putting stuff back into your pantry, you will start to see after a bag or two how you are organizing your shelves and what is going where.

My other trick is as soon as I have a pile, bag, box that can be donated, I take it right away. One thing, it gives me a break and 2nd, donating stuff isn't another big chore I have to coordinate.

Annie

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Last night, although I didn't really get into the room I am supposed to be working on this week, I did get 2 other things done.

DD needed a spoon of pain relief - and I found I had 11!!! plastic measuring spoons in the kitchen drawer. So I threw out 7. Along with a handful of plastic cutlery we never need and some old plastic children's cutlery that is gone beyond use. DD also agreed to reduce the children's cutlery space to the 3 sets of metal cutlery (so I don't need to wash every meal - dishwasher is run every 2 days or so), and just 3 plastic spoons for school lunches that need spoons. The rest are gone back into the storage cupboard for when small children are visiting. (DD is 8, but has quite small hands, so I am happy to keep smaller cutlery for her - but we've gotten rid now of almost all the plastic cutlery and crockery to try and stop "babying" her, just 2 melamine plates and 2 plastic but more adult glasses for use in the garden).

And I had to get out towels for DD to put into her bag for her showers after sailing camp all week. (Not great weather so we aren't getting them dried daily after use). And realized that the pile was ridiculous. So I reduced it to 5 decent full sets (2 large and at least 1 small) for bathrooms, and left a good few spare smaller ones. But threw out the ones that don't match, were damaged, gone a bit threadbare etc. So another bag for the clothes bank on Friday and I can see and find the towels I do have now.

I need to look at the sheets situation - I think I need an extra set for our bed. And I just put a rip into the duvet cover by accident - we bought that 13 years ago! I may keep that for a while for the fabric but put it in the storage unit after it's been washed. I have 3 more duvet covers, and that's enough for the moment, but I may get a spare one in the post-Christmas sales.

Tonight, I intend to tackle 1, or maybe 2, shelves in the bookcase in the study. It's gone into a big jumble of craft materials, paperwork storage, bottles of suncream and shower gel, old cards for sentimental keeping and lots more. So it needs work.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I just decluttered and deep cleaned almost the entire house... crazy... I know.

Most of what we got rid of was trash. I do have two large boxes of donation items that will go out tomorrow. We have the two worst rooms left (crawl space and our junk room). Gotta wait for hubby on those rooms.

Now that the declutter is gone and the rooms are clean we can see what need to be fixed or replaced. Guess I know what we are doing all winter... home improvements.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
AnnieClaus:
Yes working with the "smaller" piles helps a lot. I accomplished some today. There's still plenty to do but it looks (and feels) better. I just have to keep working on it each day!

:clothes:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ginger-
Glad it helped. I get overwhelmed easily.... :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I decluttered two notebooks of medical info of mine today. LC3 was saying she loves putting paperwork in order so she now has taken over the organizing of the two books to make one. I have nothing interesting in my medical records so I don't mind her seeing them. If she wants to know my red blood cell count it's find by me. lol I have a trash can of shredding to do now.

I also tossed out some notebook dividers. Most had been used several times and they were the ones too short to use with page protectors. I just picked up 10 sets of new larger dividers since school supplies were out in vast numbers. I'll be replacing the ones in my recipe notebooks (2 of them), genealogy notebooks (6 more) and my holiday notebooks (3 more). I think I will just have enough since I found two sets in the drawer.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Annie; I was just reading about the Closet Go Round method in the recommended reading Declutter 101: Strategies to Cut Clutter on the Organized Home website. It reads
"Call it the Closet-Go-Round. It's a two-part process of identifying and assigning storage, while at the same time decluttering and revamping existing areas in the home.

Like a merry-go-round, the Closet-Go-Round turns out, sorts out and relocates all the storage functions of the home. In the initial stage, you'll identify storage needs and match them to available storage areas, regardless of what's being stored where at the moment.

Once you know what should go where, the active phase begins. You will need boxes, lots of them, and time--quite a bit of time. Starting at the front door, move from room to room placing boxes in front of each storage area: cabinets, drawers, closets, and shelves.

Then begin at the beginning once more. Start, for example, at the table in the hall. Remove any and all items from the table that are not assigned there: gloves, mail, keys, change, handbags. Place them in your box.

When the table is empty, except for the vase of flowers that belongs there, circle the house with your catch. Gloves are placed in the box before the coat closet where they are supposed to live. Mail is dumped into the box in front of the desk area. Handbags and change are delivered to the owner's launch pad area. Items to be thrown away are delivered to the garbage can.

When the box is empty, move on to the next storage area in the hall: the coat closet. Empty the coat closet of all unassigned items, while adding the gloves to their assigned area. Again, circle the house with your coat closet box, delivering items to the new storage area where each belongs.

As you work, you're sorting and decluttering in two directions. You're removing clutter and improperly-stored items, while collecting and replacing the things which belong in any given area.

A Closet-Go-Round is a big undertaking, and it doesn't work well if performed in fits and starts. Choose this method if you have a block of two or three days to devote to a major declutter. While you'll work hard during that time, a Closet-Go-Round can take giant strides toward a more efficient, easy-to-manage home."
I was thinking that this is totally doable by doing as you suggested with clearing everything that doesn't belong and putting them into separate "manageable" bags or smaller boxes" and working on each until complete.

My problem isn't that the stuff doesn't belong in the household..................it's just never in it's home because we are terrible about putting things up.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ellen-
Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Annie

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Annie;

You are genius my friend. Paper clutter is my nemesis and I've been getting so down because I know next week the HHP plan begins with clearing out your planning space and getting files in order. I've been filling small U-Haul (18 x 12 x 12)boxes, bringing it to the large dining table and decluttering one box at a time. It's working and I can actually see part of my desktop. I have two boxes down and stopped for dinner before starting on the third. I won't finish tonight and will probably still be at it Sunday but at least it's getting done.

Thank you!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
When I was at the mall today I bought 2 containers to store DH junk in his desk. I got rid of quite a lot of stuff, but everything to him is a treasure. While I was going I decided to clean the rest of the desk and threw out a shopping bag full of garbage. 1/2 an hour and the desk was done.

Love that "clean" feeling.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have decluttered a to in the study and spare bedroom this weekend, which has meant a lot of things leaving the house.

4 bags went to goodwill, there's 3 more in my car to drop this week, and I made 2 separate drops to the clothes bank as well.

I threw out 2 extra sacks to the bin, the green bin is almost full and more than half is decluttering for recycling, and I burned a good big bag of more confidential papers. I still have a large box of receipts to check.

I put 2 crates of clothes down to the storage unit, one of deepest winter gear, thermals and ski gear. The other is height of summer clothes for working in a heat wave and holidays. And a 3rd crate half full of things DD will grow into. On top of the 2 crates of fabric that went down last weekend.

And I brought together all the birthday presents for my family, so that I can wrap them and bring them "home" when we go down in early September.

I am very, very happy with the progress I've made in the past 3 days!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good job Wings! and everyone who is aiming toward the decluttering.

Got rid of the old computer-router and a few old computer papers yesterday.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good job everyone. Just by posting on here inspires others so keep decluttering and keep posting.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OK so it is officially September and things will start moving pretty quickly from now on. I am spring cleaning this week and am hoping to get some stuff out the door. I am about to go through the CDs and DVDs in the loungeroom to see what may be donated or trashed.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Piles of files have found their way to the trash or shredding box over the past week. I have filled up 1 1/2 commercial waste cans that will be picked up tomorrow. I will get the shredding done at my fil's Wednesday since he has a commercial shredder.

You are all such a great inspiration. Keep up the great work!