August declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Rambling thoughts here early in the morning. Have been busy with the kids and our side-project here -- going gluten/dairy free - (that's going on a separate thread). Also trying to cram in a whole lot of kid-fun into our last month before school. The main areas of my house are clean EXCEPT FOR THE DUST which is terrible as we are on a currently very dry dirt road and the pets are shedding too (got a great tool for that which I will post separately). Is there such a thing as a giant air filter that will suck in all the air in your home in one fell swoop and filter it? I think our ventilation system is supposed to do that but it really doesn't. We have a big house with tall ceilings and wow the dust is a real battle!

Decluttered office paper for a few hours this week -- needs more! Also back on the FlyLady plan so that will be in place in time for Houseworks. Been thinking about having people over for dinner to get myself motivated on the problem spots. That always works! And I need the temperatures to drop back to the 70s from the 90s. That would help too!

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
Finish emptying ODS/DDIL's old room.
Finish moving DGKs out of their room into ODS/DDIL's old room.
Reclaim DGKs room as my sewing room/office.

Empty the garage.
Empty pantry and freezer.
Empty china cupboard of DGM dishes and silver and ship to DSIS.
Clean china cupboard and restock with DM's china and DMIL's silver.

I figure it will take me all of August and the first week of September to accomplish, but it will be worth it.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Having the grandkids here has helped. Today, Lindsay and I went thru my scrapbooking stuff and some other things, and I gave her about 1/2 of what I had! I told her to pick whatever she wanted. And she did. lol It feels good to get some things out of here. AND believe it or not, she took several of the Boyds Bears. Not many, but some little ones. :0) Her dad is gonna slaughter me for sure!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Everyone is doing so well!!

The only thing that got decluttered today is a shirt of mine. I wanted to do more but had tons of errands so I ran out of time... ah well, every little step counts.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Decluttered the bottom shelves of pantry yesterday and threw out all foods that were outdated and set up for donation any unhealthy foods that we shouldn't be eating anyway. Tossed all excess packaging and dusted with a swiffer as I went. Took me less than an hour and looks MUCH better. Now I'm eyeing the top shelves and some of the cookware that hasn't been used in YEARS. Time to let them go.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Having the grandkids here has helped. Today, Lindsay and I went thru my scrapbooking stuff and some other things, and I gave her about 1/2 of what I had! I told her to pick whatever she wanted. And she did. lol It feels good to get some things out of here. AND believe it or not, she took several of the Boyds Bears. Not many, but some little ones. :0) Her dad is gonna slaughter me for sure!

Pam I have several Boyds Bears still in their boxes, and still in my moving boxes!! Haven't seen them in several years! lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Garage Done!

WOW. We started to just move out one of our workbenches in our garage. The goal was to move the garden workbench to another and get rid of the garden bench. We ended up spending all day on cleaning the whole garage. Two huge bags of trash ready to be gone. It was recycle day in our town so other several bags were picked up. The garden workbench went to a new neighbor who drove by seeing the free sign on it. Another short bench was taken by someone else. Several garden items disappeared off the corner too.

DD was in charge of washing her bike and all three rolling tool chests (why do we need three? and why do we have hundreds of screwdrivers?). We shop vac-ed everything including the corners. Hung several things up on the walls. Found things that had been 'lost'. I ended the day after supper by sanding handles on several shovels that were rough and putting tung oil on them. Then we planted the plants I got from the library.

This morning I'm thinking I'd like to do this same thing with all the things in my storage area. I will not because we'd be way to tired and everything would have to go into the garage to be sorted. That means everything up one set of stairs and then down again when we finished. Ok, I'm worn out just writing about it. lol

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Ahorsesoul - I am so jealous! My goal is to have the house done so that when it cools off some time in November, we can devote time to our garage. And the 2 storage units down here we need to get down to one! I'm leaving that to DH & DS.

Sounds like you did a tremendous job!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We were just going to break down the garage into areas and work one area at a time. Garden bench, then tools etc. But we got carried away with it. lol Good Luck with your sheds.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Diedra good job!

Decluttered some magazines, cookbooks and some school stuff ... 2 bags of stuff to be given, and a few in the garbage can.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I spent some time in the garage sorting out the Craftsman rolling tool boxes-we have 3 of them. Like we even need more than one little tool box. I have no idea of why Dh needs hundreds of screw drivers and socket wrenches.

I labeled drawers with what was in them so when you need a wire brush you know where to look. Not that it will be there. Dh use to complain that 'the boys' use to leave his tools out and never put them away. Well the boys grew up and the tools still are never in their place. lol I have three drawers left to do. No hurry but I'd like it done this week.

Peacefulhome

Retire Member
Aug 4, 2013
The pantry . It will be heaven when I can walk into the pantry and get what I need off the shelves without reaching over a zillion things on the floor.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I managed to go through my "off season" wardrobe yesterday, so another (small) bag is in the study to bring to charity shop next week.

I have made some progress in the kitchen/diner.

But I need to get back to the crafts corner and all DD's toys up in her room. And take out some tops that still fit but are on the smaller side and which she refuses to wear - no point in leaving them taking up space.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I did a lot of decluttering before DD20's boyfriend came for a week long visit, but neglected the office/computer area - my least favorite to declutter. My plans are to hit it this week in the evenings. I need to think of better ways to deal with the paper chaos that goes on in there.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
So far I managed to get into the garage and get rid of several bags of returnable bottles...got back around $50 the first trip and about $40 the second trip. I also tackled the deep freezer and cleaned it out so now we have room again in it. Also made a couple trips to the dump and got rid of large furniture that cannot be saved at all.
Since school is starting I went through all the extra school supplies and found that I had most of their supplies already and only had to pick up a handful of items. Next, I will be tackling their clothes to see what fits, what doesn't and donate those that don't so I know what clothes they need. The kids grow like weeds!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice job on decluttering!!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ahorsesoul ~ High five! Over here i'm ramping up for the mudroom.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Good luck with the mudroom.