August Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
How did you enjoy CIJ? I loved it. It was a little like having a bit of Rudy Day every day!

Ginger, are our Rudy Day's now going to run the 25 to the 25 of each month? I was not sure what the final decision was.

In any event we will have a Rudy Day in August. For some of us we might be trying to get in a last minute vacation, taking kids to college or getting the younger ones ready for back to school. For me it also means that I am on a slip and slide with a slippery fast slide into the holiday season!

What will the August Rudy Day inspire you to do this month?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I need to focus on gift lists.

My son changes his mind every week and my daughter never has ideas and loves whatever she gets. Very frustrating.

For my sister and her family we did a movie night box, which they loved. It was very budget friendly as well. I think another family gift would be great, just need an idea.

My in-laws are fairly easy to do. Homemade everything. Easy to do.

I better put my thinking cap on!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Mel, for your sister and family, what about a family game night basket. Maybe wait until a toy store has games buy one get one and get a couple of family games like Sorry, Life, Yahtzee, etc. Throw in a deck of cards and a card game book. Maybe add in some plastic, washable popcorn containers or snack bowls.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Kim,

That is a great idea!!

Thanks.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am going to try and focus on gifts as well. DH has accepted a new position at his work that means a large decrease in stress level but also a large decrease in pay.

We can make it - and it is worth it to save his health/sanity - but I need to be extra careful with our household budgets - including Christmas!

Right now I have a really good start on gifts. Just need to review my budget and plan on how best to complete my gift list! :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
At this stage I have no real plans for August. I think that things will just happen and that's what I will concentrate on. I really feel very well organized at the moment, so maybe just tying up a few loose ends will help. I am at that in between stage where I need to buy a few things but they are not out in the shops yet.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
During Christmas in July I purchased new stamps for cards... Rudy day in August will find me trying to make cards :)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
This month we celebrate my niece's birthday and one of my newphew's is leaving for college. So my mom and I have planned a day with all the kids. We are going out to dinner and then do whatever they want.

As far as Rudy Day goes, I don't have any specific plans but I will be spending time doing something Christmas. Like today I will make my grocery list for this year's Christmas Eve dinner as I have finalized my menu. Also I am going to try to start blogging again. My blogs haven't been touched in months.

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
I just realized Aggy you are from Baltimore. Me too originally. Born and raised there, then moved to Florida. Love it here too.

I also love the Movie Night box, Mel and the Game Night box, Kim. We too are having financial difficulties this year. So for August Rudy Day I think I will try to put together some family gifts such as the Movie and/or Game boxes.

Thanks for the ideas!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Pumpkinpie, I was born and raised most of my first 14 years in Baltimore. I love that city. I went to Garrett Heights Elem and Hamilton Junior High. Also, the 4th grade I was at Hamilton Elem. Small world, huh? You can take the girl out of Baltimore, but you can't take Baltimore out of the girl.

I have about 1/2 of my shopping done, now. For Rudy day, I think I will try to get started on my sewing for Christmas or finish the ornaments that I started. And look for that dang label maker. It is still MIA.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
aggy, it is still the big stuff that I need to get (by big, I mean the most costly). I have apartment inspections in October. After that's over, I'll get REALLY serious about things. lol But yeah, about half of it is done. There are 30 people on my list, and it will about be cut in half next year when I retire!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
my parents are taking the boys for a few days the week of Aug 15th so I am gonig to try to have an early Rudy day. Maybe I will get into my gift closet b/c i can't do it w/ the boys here. I need to get everything in my notebook and reorganize everything. Right now it's just shoved up there.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
On Aug. 25, we'll be on our way to Glacier Nat. Park, and then down to Yellowstone! I can hardly wait! After this trip, there will be only two states I haven't been in -- Oregon and Alaska. I'll probably spend Rudy Day working on my knitted gifts. I really get a lot of knitting done when we travel in our RV. I'm working on an afghan for my nephew, a scarf for my sister, and a silk and mohair scarf for my mother. I promised that last one before it gets cold enough to wear it, though, so it's not really a Christmas present. How did it get to be August so quickly?!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
August Rudy Day! I am taking it........ TODAY!

For many reasons, I didn't celebrate Rudy Day in July! And.... I didn't get to do much for Christmas In July this year! So.... I am feeling deprived..........

AND.... today the temperature is going to hit 100 degrees! That's it! I've had it!!!! I need Rudy Day and I need it now!!!!

Plus.... I ran into a friend who owns a small farm. He said that the farmers are preparing for another winter like last year...... which had record snowfall!!!!! (The farmers are really suffering horribly from heat and drought this year!)

So... record-breaking heat. And then another record-breaking winter?????? I am going into Christmas Mode now!!!!!! I need to give my brain a vacation from Real Life!!!!! A nice, Christmassy vacation!!

So.... I have printed out the calendar pages and the weekly work pages for the 2010 Holiday Grand Plan!!! I will spend some time with them...... and I will "wade" into the office/guest room/Christmas Storage Room....... and "muck around" in there. I will bring my trash bag and my "give-away box". And.... I will play with (I mean "organize") some of my Christmas things! I may even address Christmas cards!!!!!

I'll let you know how it goes. Merry Christmas!!!! :merrychristmas:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sparklenana have fun!! Here last winter was a record-breaking winter... the least snowfall!!! and not a harsh winter - loved it!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
SN-enjoy your day today. It sounds very promising. I hope you have a lot of fun and get stuff done.

Lucic- you must have sent all of your snow this way last winter. And you can keep it this year. I had more than enough last yr, thanks :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'll be working on Rudy Day, so I am going to do mine either the 21st or the 28th. So far, I've bought one gift, but I have been scouting for others. I think I will work on my notebook and get my lists done. That always calms me and makes me feel more prepared for Christmas. We are having a Fall Break this year at school, which we have never had before. I am looking forward to it because I think I am going to use it all to do things for Christmas - woohoo!