Crafter's Challenge January 14th-20th, 2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I hope you are all safe and warm in this weather!!!

Another week with several of you doing stuff!!!! WTG, girls!!!!!!

What are your plans for this week?

HAPPY HAPPY CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I would like to start a "L" tag for DS's GF stocking.
I am wanting to give the craft room a great clean up but DH is storing some stuff in there at the moment.
I want to organise a few crafts and put in ziplocks so I can just grab them when ready.

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
First off, my friend and I marked this holiday weekend on the calendar for a scrapbooking "at home" retreat. I don't have any specific plans as to what photos I"m working on, but I'm just thrilled we have set the time aside and have had no life disasters to side track us. She'll be here Sunday at noon and leave Monday night. I've never had a friend just spend the night for fun since I was probably in my 20's, so it's kinda exciting having a sleepover. :D
After that my only other crafting focus this week will be to gather the onsies I'll need for my granddaughters t-shirt quilt, pick out fabric, and get a supply list going for what I'll need to make this project happen.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
This week I will be continuing to work on the washcloth. Still working on the third and then one more. Also need to get started on the css birthday card. I have also signed up for an online card class and the supply list comes out tomorro. It’s a work at your own pace class for five cards.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
This week I will be continuing to work on the washcloth. Still working on the third and then one more. Also need to get started on the css birthday card. I have also signed up for an online card class and the supply list comes out tomorro. It’s a work at your own pace class for five cards.
sounds like a fun class

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Things I'd like to get to this week:
  • Finish knit prayer shawl (3" to go)
  • Start on crochet dragon
  • Machine embroidery Valentine's cards
  • Start CCS motifs for Easter cards (4 or 5)
  • Re-stitch seams on two quilt blocks
  • Practice ruler work quilting

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I know I never seem to get to crafting, but I have always thought sewing for charity would be neat. Yesterday I was surfing the places you can sew for. Found some I would like to try to do some for. I printed out the Dolls For Hope bear pattern to hope to try some ---- at some point this year. Smiles for Ryan has been around for awhile and I know I have prints that would be cute for pillow cases. There was some other ones also. (pillow case dresses, nursing homes, homeless shelters, animals, etc.) So I'm hoping to use up some fabric and try to help the places and next fall mail stuff out. Shall see how this plan goes in my life!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I know I never seem to get to crafting, but I have always thought sewing for charity would be neat. Yesterday I was surfing the places you can sew for. Found some I would like to try to do some for. I printed out the Dolls For Hope bear pattern to hope to try some ---- at some point this year. Smiles for Ryan has been around for awhile and I know I have prints that would be cute for pillow cases. There was some other ones also. (pillow case dresses, nursing homes, homeless shelters, animals, etc.) So I'm hoping to use up some fabric and try to help the places and next fall mail stuff out. Shall see how this plan goes in my life!
Ask you local police station if they need anything.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
A lot of them like soft dolls, animals and blankets to comfort small children.

CIJ ornaments are done along with extras I need for gifts. Husband decided he wants to keep 4!!! I always plan to keep one for us. I glued the broken one together this morning. My cousin has 2 of the base part that I can have so I think I’ll be ok.

My embroidery card class is Saturday. I need to pick out some fabric to take with and some matching thread and a host of other things. They had all kinds of beautiful cards at embroidery club last week. None of which we are making. The 2 we are doing are not anything I would ever make (ugly, lol). I hope to learn all kinds of handy tips and tricks making cards.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Great idea. In Australia we can knit teddy bears, they are called trauma teddies. The police and firies give the out to comfort kids.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
A couple of other ideas for crafting for charity --
  • My bible study group makes "pocket pillows" for the counseling center where we meet. We fill the pocket with a Christian-themed story book. The center provides pregnancy counseling and post-partum support services for single and low income mothers, who often have a child in-tow, when they arrive. The center sometimes gives a pillow to children of their clients, and they also offer some of them for sale in their gift store. If you have a non-profit organization that offers similar services, they may like to have something soft and cuddly to provide to the littles that come in.
  • When DD was in the hospital as a child, the hospital guild made "happy-sad face" pillows for children, so they could hold up what "face" represented how they were feeling.
  • Our yarn shop has been providing hats, scarves, and mittens for the homeless and migrant population that is coming into Chicago without winter weather protective clothing. The yarn store is working with an organization that assists with the collection and distribution of coats, etc. It's a great way to use up some of the remnants of yarn that would otherwise stay in the bottom of the bag.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
One thing too, is that I would have to ship to someplace. Don't mind but that adds up. I live in rural area where things just don't happen. If I achieve things done will see about drop off points. Some mail for a set amount.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
One thing too, is that I would have to ship to someplace. Don't mind but that adds up. I live in rural area where things just don't happen. If I achieve things done will see about drop off points. Some mail for a set amount.
Even small communities have needs. Perhaps check with your County's Dept of Health & Human Services, or whatever agency deals with homelessness or those in need of emergency shelter. Or maybe contact your local Red Cross who assists in local emergencies like house fires. Or do the police and fire keep a supply of things in their trunk? Ask if they would be interested in donations of x, y, or z -- whatever you want to make. Or, alternatively, create a stack of whatever it is that you want to make, and then call around to see who may be interested in what you have to donate. That's how our yarn shop got involved.

The local yarn shop, where I take classes, originally started calling around to find out if thre was a way they could donate knitting and crochet supplies, so the incoming women immigrants could have materials to work on something while awaiting placement. The thought was that it would give them something interesting to do during the day, and many may already have the skills. While awaiting the appropriate paperwork, they could make items for their family, and perhaps eventually be able to sell their goods for income. The shop owner was directed to someone coordinating clothing donations who indicated they'd accept completed items (essential), but were not interested in craft supplies (non-essential). But it was a foot in the door and a place our community could passively contribute. And one of the volunteers working on clothing donations lives near the yarn shop and stops in once or twice a month to pick up donations. The shop is now working their connections to find out who is collecting games, books, and perhaps knitting and crochet supplies. Meanwhile the knitting and crochet community is working away to make sure everyone in need of a hat has a free one to cover their head in this cold weather.

We also did a ear warmer / headband project last Summer and early Fall for the Breast Cancer Walk & Race, so all participants could have a pink headband / ear warmer to wear during the race. No set pattern, be as creative as you want, so long as it's some shade of pink. Place your finished items in the basket by the door before Oct. 15th, the last pick-up date.

Additionally, the shop will often receive gifts of handmade items along with UFOs. The store owners (and some of heir long-time patrons) will finish them (i.e. unfinished blankets or quick-to-finish sweaters and the like) or repurpose the yarn into something that can be quickly made and donated. Think"My dear aunt made this afghan for me several years ago and I just can't bear to throw it away. Do you know what I can do with it?" Or, "I started teaching myself to knit during the pandemic, but then I had to go back into the office. Maybe someone else has a use for this?" They had a stack of hand-knit and crochet afghans and baby blankets of all colors and sizes ready to donate just before the holidays.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I used some of my snow day to make Valentines for the students. I'm trying to use what I have and not buy anything.

This week's list:
  • Use scrapbook paper to make Valentines for the class.
  • Answer one question and add it to the file.
  • Collect my mom's answer and add it to her file.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahorsesoul and Lana

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Lana what about project Linus? Usually you can find drop offs locally either at a store or someone’s home or a local children’s hospital. In the fall our church and some other local ones donate about 400 blankets to the icu of a children hospital.

Have knitted a few rows on the washcloth and made a couple templates for a couple quilting project.Also pulled out the pattern to make a holder for my crochet hooks. Have a plastic one that I purchased years ago but now have more hooks than it will hold. It doesn’t all the hook sizes.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ Wonderful plan to sew for charity! I'd love to see and hear about what you come up with.

I have done a bit on each of my goals for the week, including finishing the prayer shawl. I hope it gets to spend quite a while in my closet!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I pulled out all the left over cut out bunting from DD's wedding in 2021. I will need to iron the flags and then ascertain if there is going to be enough to make a small quilt out of what is there.
I would like to start that soon and have that finished over the next few weeks.