days to go

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
its 250 days till christmas. like 36 weeks. would be a good time to put back a little money each week. time really flies when the warm days get here.it will be here before you know it . yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Oh my! and I'm in the middle of spring cleaning so all my projects are being pushed back.... I'll have to get back on track!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Me too! Oh my, I need to really get busy. Where does all the time go. If only I didn't have to work.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have yet to put money aside for Christmas however we have bought several gifts already including the kids main gift and the neices are done with the exception of their ornaments. We are going on Vacation in July so any extra money is being put aside for that. Once we get back from vacation we will be putting money a side for Christmas and back to school shopping. Thankfully my van gets paid off at the end of summer so that will free some extra money just in time for the holidays!

I already have my christmas cards and wrapping paper bought from the after Christmas sales so we are set there.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Minta --- I'm with you! I have to save for our summer vacation/wedding trip in early June! When that is over..... THEN I can start saving for Christmas! However.... I am also with you...... in ALREADY having purchased cards, wrapping paper and many gifts. And we have the tree, lights and decorations.

What I CAN do to get ready for Christmas 2010.... is declutter and organize! Those two things are not necessary preparations for a nice "vacation". But they REALLY help have a nice, peaceful, joyful Christmas celebration!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
What I CAN do to get ready for Christmas 2010.... is declutter and organize! Those two things are not necessary preparations for a nice "vacation". But they REALLY help have a nice, peaceful, joyful Christmas celebration!

I agree with you there. Starting the first weekend in Nov I plan on throughly cleaning the bedrooms so we can start decorating them for Christmas, especailly the kids. The next couple of weekends will be spent cleaning the rest of the house so by Thankgiving week the house will be completely cleaned and organized and once T-day dinner is done we can start decorating for Christmas without having to worry about cleaning.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
If we want a "simple and peaceful" Christmas celebration...... a decluttered, cleaned home is fabulous! It is a GREAT incentive for those of us who LOVE Christmas!

I did a search for Christmas 2010 last night..... and there were many more topics than there had been a month ago!!! I saw one bed-and-breakfast, in Scotland, that does special Christmas meals and decorations....... and it had been fully booked by April!!! SOME people are thinking ahead! Hey.... maybe we will have our own lovely "bed-and-breakfasts" by Christmas 2010!!!!

Well.... the best way to that is...... baby steps! Christmassy Baby Steps! (Sounds kind of festive! Makes me feel happy!)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I suppose that one of the biggest mistakes we can make is to think that we have plenty of time. It is only April I hear people say to me all the time. BUT I look at how fast the year is going and I know that if I do not get on track now I will not be mentally prepared for what is to come. I would rather have cards and paper bought, gifts bought and stacked in the cupboard, stocking fillers bought and wrapped. Real life can appear at any stage and then we are on the back foot.

So my friends Baby steps everyday whether or not it is Christmas savings, Christmas de-cluttering or Christmas prep, lets do a little bit everyday and lets have a wonderful Christmas

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good idea Belles. I get $50 per pay put directly into my Christmas savings account and don't miss it at all, but I love it when it comes to November and I have a substantial amount to put towards gifts and food.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I suppose that one of the biggest mistakes we can make is to think that we have plenty of time. It is only April I hear people say to me all the time. BUT I look at how fast the year is going and I know that if I do not get on track now I will not be mentally prepared for what is to come. I would rather have cards and paper bought, gifts bought and stacked in the cupboard, stocking fillers bought and wrapped. Real life can appear at any stage and then we are on the back foot.

So my friends Baby steps everyday whether or not it is Christmas savings, Christmas de-cluttering or Christmas prep, lets do a little bit everyday and lets have a wonderful Christmas

I hear that ALL the time too. It's summer... I am not thinking about Christmas but yet when Nov/Dec rolls around they are in PANIC mode trying to figure out what to get and how to pay for the gifts and then end up with a HUGH charge bill after the holidays. This is true with some family members. When will they ever learn? Although there is one who is starting to come around a little bit so that is better then nothing. Our goal is to be done by gift buying by Dec 1st. We missed that goal the past 2 years so this year we are working extra hard and scaling down some of gifts to reach that goal. We are going to put a big focus on home made gifts this year too. We are going to plant a garden in the next few weeks and I want to learn how to can. I think home made salsa and strawberry jam in a basket with some other goodies would make for a nice gift.

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
That is a wonderful gift, Minta. And I see Easter baskets for sale for 75% off now. AND -- that nice "filling" -- in all kinds of colors -- is ALSO 76% off. Even the clear plastic wrap, to wrap the finished basket - is on sale now!

It is grey, chilly and raining! PERFECT DAY for Christmas thinking/planning/dreaming! As soon as I get off the computer -- I'm lighting the fire and making the hot chocolate! I am going to alternate decluttering/sorting papers..... with all kinds of other work.... 15 minutes at a time! I went out to the garden early.... and got more baby plants into the ground... to drink up this soft rain!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Homemade salsa & strawberry jam are wonderful gifts! I know I'd love to receive those!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Back again to check in. I DID light the fire. Somehow...... the vent in the fireplace got closed. The house filled with smoke before I discovered that and opened it. THIS IS A PERFECT REMINDER that things DO NOT go perfectly!!!!! We are back on track..... the fire is burning cheerfully.... the smoke smell is quite faint.... real life is here with us -- all the time! Sigh.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I went to Tuesday Morning on a whim today and found 2 gift so that was a nice surprise. But then I came home later to see the dog had opened one of them. It was a house flag for my parents so thankfully the flag is fine and they won't care if it's repackaged.

SN I have done that w/ the fire before, a bit scary at first when you have a house full of smoke. Glad you now have a nice, safe fire.

Happy planning every one.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was going to say I hadn't bought anything, but I did pick up 2 gifts after Christmas. I have to sit down and come up with some craft ideas. I want to CRAFT!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Here we are - 230 days out from Christmas Day, 2010!!!

I am having a Rudy Day today -- and THINKING about celebrations and expectations and all kinds of nice things. I m reflecting on yesterday's Christmas 2010 Open House (which appeared to others as a Block Party)!!! My initial understanding of how it was going to be -- was completely wrong! So -- I just thought about what I PERSONALLY wanted...... (to have a big, wonderful (Christmas) celebration with lots of friends and neighbors!) And then -- I did everything I could to make that happen! (Since I could NOT have it at actual Christmas-time -- because of tiny house syndrome.)

AND..... it turned out to be the best party ever! Perfect weather! A huge, wonderful variety of really delicious and interesting food. Comfortable, happy, relaxed people! Lots of new people -- plus so many of the people who had come before! People brought friends -- who were saying THEY wishes that they lived in our great neighborhood!!! The kids of all ages had a great time. NOBODY cried. Nobody fought! It was just lovely!

AND -- today -- I can rest up today -- before going out for dinner. (And we all know that going out for dinner is SO MUCH MORE restful than shopping, cooking, cleaning up, etc.)

So -- I was actually VERY SELFISH. I just thought about what I personally wanted -- and then went for it! And -- THAT is something WE can do on Rudy Day. Think about what WE want for our Christmas celebration. And then... go for it!!!! (And remember -- I went for it in May! And it is a HUGE part of MY 2010 Christmas celebration!)

So...... have you thought about some of the things that YOU want? And now.... I need to think about what else I want to do for Christmas 2010. Hhhmmmm....... A big part of it.... is stuff where I just show up. School events and church events. Of course, I need to show up healthy, happy, festively dressed and appropriately rested and stress-free.

And.... being available for unexpected things. (This year -- it was pitching in while various family members had -- one by one -- terrible bouts of a virus. I was able to take care of them all..... and I was the very last one to come down with it!)

Well... since this is a Rudy Day for me..... I am giving myself plenty of time to think and dream! And....... 230 more days until Christmas Day. (Which isn't that much time when you think about it!)

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Where is the time going? I can't believe it's May already. I know that in a few weeks time DD10 school will start to wind down. Reading books will go back, practice will be done for Sports Day, work done in school will begin to be sent home. It's just that feeling that Summer is around the corner. We leave for our holiday to the USA (volcanic ash permitting)on the 30th June. I always think once the actual holiday is over then my Christmas planning really kicks in. So 230 days really doesn't seem that much!