Do Your Friends Drop In?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Do you like to have people drop in? What do you do when they ring the doorbell?

I mean, what do you do AFTER you peek out a side window to see who is there and decide what to do.

If it is a friend, who hasn't telephoned first, I generally don't open the door. Is that bad?

I figure they are dropping off a newsletter or something, and I will think about it and get back to them. Of course, if they ring again -- indicating that it is urgent or an emergency - I do open the door.

But if it is one of the friends that I LOVE, a friend who is like family -- then, of course I open the door. I am delighted to see them and I invite them in, and continue doing whatever I am doing. (Yesterday, it was while I was on the afternoon MHH chat.) I brought the friend in, gave her a glass of wine and a big tumbler of ice water, we sat down, I continued reading the chat -- and we talked happily until my husband came home from golf. (Needing Advil and food.)

The friend asked about MHH - but is not a year-round Christmas lover - so she wasn't interested in joining. We are a unique and special group. :globe:

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
I generally don't like surprises and I'm not home much. SO, my friends know to call to make sure I'll be there AND since my little time at home is precious to me I usually don't open the door if a call wasn't made. To be honest though, usually it's just sales people or charities, all of my friends call because they don't want to make a wasted trip when I'm not there.

I guess it's sad that we've all become too busy for friends to feel free to "drop in".....

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Our doorbell doesn't work! So, I don't have this problem anymore. DH asked if he should put in a new one, my reply - no, this one works just fine. :haha:

But, I'm with you, I don't care for unexpected visits.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I hate surprises!! With the age of cell phones, at least give me a few minutes warning - so I can get into something I am willing to answer the door in. :flower:

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
I absolutly can't stand being dropped in on, unless like you said nana about someone very close to me that doesnt mind me being a slob and love me anyway!

I have one friend who every time she is in my house has to use the bathroom and takes the oppurtunity to go in my upstairs bedrooms. This would probably not be a problem for most people, but I am not the best house keeper (MHH is helping, but can't work miracles!) Her doing this has made me dread even planned short pickups (our sons have playdates) when I know she is coming, because I have to clean the bathroom, and all the bedrooms! I would never go in someones bedroom unless told to do so, and I really resent it!

Anyway, now I have vented and feel better!

Kelly :bigsnow:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm not big on drop ins either. I guess it depends who it is. Some friends I'm okay with, others not so much. I just hate to be surprised. What if the bathroom is dirty?! :haha:

I agree, a phone call is good.

Lisa

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don't like drop-ins and no one ever did it when I was growing up. One summer I stayed with my Nanny and was surprised to find neighbors would drop in as early as 7 am. I learned to dress for breakfast. lol.

When I moved ruralish a few years ago it surprised me again. I was in a small community and everyone lived only a few streets away from each other so people felt free to drop in at any time. This wouldn't bug me so much except that I'm someone who hates to get caught without my makeup on...I'm not vein, I just have bad skin. lol

Where we live now I don't know a soul and I'm almost beginning to miss having someone ring my doorbell who doesn't just want to sell me something.

:bigsnow:

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Another drop-in hater here too. A few years ago my parents dropped by unnounced (they live an hour away). It was a Sunday afternoon and I was in the middle of a first date with a guy (no, not that kind of a "date" ~grin~). Anyway, it was very embarrassing and we had words afterwards. We patched things up quickly though and they even bought me a garden stone that Christmas that said "Friends Welcome. Relatives by appointment only." But they've never dropped by unnounced since. :haha:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Friends don't drop in much, but our families do. It used to bother me when someone would come by and the house was less than stellar...but now I figure if they want a clean house, they need to call me and let me know they are coming. If you drop in on me, you take what you get!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
RJD....you are lucky your wife doesn't kill you!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Once after about the 5th time I'd told one of my husband's friends, "I'm sorry the house is such a mess" he said, rather exasperatedly, "You know, I only go to people's houses so I can judge them!" lol. He said it comedically, but I always remember it when I'm wondering if the house isn't up to scratch.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I'm with the majority of you I don't like drop in visitors, I much prefer to know that they are coming so that I can get everything spik and span. You can guarantee that even if everything has been tidy for days the minute it starts to slip someone will come knocking on your door!

:flower:

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Noelsmommy I think that is terrible that someone would snoop in your bedrooms, uninvited to do so. I think I would lock all the bedroom doors the next time she comes over and see if she gets the hint.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I don't really have many people dropping in unannounced but when they do I don't mind and family is always welcome anytime. I'm used to this... my mom's house is almost an open-house... there are people dropping by all day long for a chat or coffee.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
When I have parties, I lock the doors that are not open to visitors. I also think it is terrible to snoop and go into peoples' bedrooms unless invited (eg. please put your coat on the bed).

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
SparkleNana said:
When I have parties, I lock the doors that are not open to visitors. I also think it is terrible to snoop and go into peoples' bedrooms unless invited (eg. please put your coat on the bed).

I actually had a preteen visitor who not only opened drawers and closets, but even went so far as to go to my basement and start opening up storage bins! I tried to nicely tell the kid that I would appreciate if they didn't go through my things, to which the reply was "Why?", a shrug, and continued exploring. I had to get dh (a little scarier than me) to get the kid to stop.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I'm with you guys. Snoopers are NOT welcome!! I don't know that this has ever happened, even when I had a house. But the bottom line is...if it ain't yours, stay out!! That is just rude, and there is no excuse for rudeness.

I don't usually like unexpected drop ins, unless I know the person really, REALLY well. My kids, my best friend or my sweetie. But that hardly ever happens. I am not the world's greatest housekeeper, and I sit around in my jammies, so I don't want the unexpected company.....unless one of you comes to Indiana!! LOL :rotflol:

:bigsnow:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Ccoffeenut - good for you! :grouphug: How do you do it? Is your house ALWAYS company ready? Do you stop work when people arrive, or do you keep working while you visit? Do you drop in on the same people who drop in on you? Is it common to drop in on people in your community? Are there regular drop in hours? (Like weekdays or after dinner or weekends?

I envy you for enjoying drop-in company.