Do Your Friends Drop In?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We almost never have true drop in visitors - but it did happen just the other night.

Close friends out on a "date" without their kids for the first time in years ended up dropping by.

It was the night before a big party we were hosting so I was on the tail end of food prep/cooking baking and cleaning up the kitchen.

I was embarrassed because I hadn't vacuumed yet and DH (trying to help) had used the carpet cleaner on the hall carpet - somehow managing to pull out the dog hair and send it flying all over the hardwood floors instead of getting it in the cleaner.

So even though I'd literally vacuumed the night before, our floors looked TERRIBLE. Doggie "tumbleweeds" everywhere.

What are you going to do?

Our drop in guests didn't seem to mind much, and I did explain - but still! Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed spending time with them but the timing was a little off. We had alot to do the next day to catch up!

Normally my "drop in" experiences are due to DH inviting someone to stop by after work on their way home for one reason or another. I usually have about 20 minutes to 1 hour warning.

I've just gotten in the habit of keeping the dishes washed and the worst of the dog hair swept up (love that dustbuster!) and I roll with the punches!

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and women...

:haha:

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
RJD, you are a GENIUS. I am going to cross-stitch a nice Quarantine sign for my front porch. :-D

The only drop-in visitors I seem to get are my boys' friends, and they are completely oblivious to what I am wearing and the condition of my house. I could seriously be wearing ratty sweats, have my hair standing on end, and think my house is ready to be condemned by the health department, and all they would say is, "Can we have more Kool-Aid?"

Hey, maybe they go home and tell their moms what my house looks like, and THAT'S why no one drops in...

InstantMom said:
RJD, you are a GENIUS. I am going to cross-stitch a nice Quarantine sign for my front porch. :-D ...

Thanks, Instant Mom! If I had a nickle for every time I've heard that, I would have a nickle.

Gingerbug said:
RJD....you are lucky your wife doesn't kill you!

You ain't just whistling through the graveyard, GingerBug!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I have a lung condition and a compromised immune system- drop in guests are strongly discouraged. Some people have a hard time with this.

Even if we invite people over/or they call first they have to confirm with us that they have not been sick/had colds in the past week. Everyone must Purell before entering our home- no matter the season.

This has discouraged drop in guests. Don't get me wrong we love our friends/family but my health comes first.

I am actually trying to work up a polite sign for our door. We also need to get a no solicitors sign.

We have more of a problem with this as the holiday season rolls around....

knl81

Retire Member
Aug 9, 2008
drop ins are few and far between but I will you all on a simple phone call. I don't think my house is dirty.....I call it "lived in". 10-15 MINS for a call is perfect. I can get the dog put up and ready. Most of the drop ins are friends, who dont like to get everyone around and packed into cars for a wasted trip.

Family on the other hand... DH's family NEVER has dropped in the 7 years of marriage without a formal invitation. My family on the other hand, well lets just say that is isn't to the extent of "Everyone Loves Raymond" (THE TV SHOW) but somedays I wonder if that is what it is coming to...lol

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
cmerth said:
Even if we invite people over/or they call first they have to confirm with us that they have not been sick/had colds in the past week. Everyone must Purell before entering our home- no matter the season.

You know when I was a kid not going to someone's house if you were sick was a common courtesy. Obviously you need to be very careful where your health is concerned, but even in general I think it is a courtesy to let someone know if you are sick.

I can't count the number of times I've had someone bring their kids over to visit for an hour and casually mention (as their child is coughing) how they've been feeling miserable with the flu and how they feel like they're coming down with it now.

Not that I'm not sympathetic to someone who isn't feeling well, but by coming over you're exposing our family to the flu right before Christmas. Not to mention the fact that there are relatives I cannot visit if I am not healthy and therefore might not be able to take a planned trip home during the holidays.

I know people who have had their wedding days ruined by people who knowingly exposed them to stomach flus rather than skipping the bridal shower, etc. because they were sick.

Sorry for the rant, just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. lol.
:bigsnow:

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
:flower: Sparklenana, I just read your post. I inherited it from my parents. They always did and now I do. Yes my apartment is usally visitor ready. I am not a perfect housekeeper but I usually have it picked up enough and people who know me don't mind. It also is because most of the people here that I know also tend to have people drop in. :flower:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wow, Coffeenut, it sounds friendly and nice. My husband grew up in an area where people dropped in on each other. I guess it is all what is customary among your friends. I imagine when everybody had front porches, it was more friendly too. If people were out sitting on their porch, you could chat with them from the sidewalk. And they could invite you to come and sit with them for a while.... ::eek:rnament:

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
SparkleNana said:
Wow, Coffeenut, it sounds friendly and nice. My husband grew up in an area where people dropped in on each other. I guess it is all what is customary among your friends. I imagine when everybody had front porches, it was more friendly too. If people were out sitting on their porch, you could chat with them from the sidewalk. And they could invite you to come and sit with them for a while.... ::eek:rnament:

Or not invite them in! lol I wouldn't mind people dropping in if they stayed on the front porch because thats the one place in my well lived in cozy home, that actually isn't cluttered!

Oh well, hopefully the drop ins are the ones who love me and won't mind me being a horriable housekeeper. As for the rest of them, who needs them!

Kelly

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I would love to sit on the front porch, Noelsmommy! I never get enough time outside. I much prefer it when someone invites me over and asks if I want to sit outside! I always do (except when it is icy!)

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
We all seem to be very similar on this topic and as I write this it is 11:50 saturday morning and I still look like I just woke up (but I have put clothes on) and the house is somewhat messy and I would want to die if anybody popped in. If I have to stop by someone's house unnanounced I never go in even if they offer cuz I think they are just being courteous and really hoping I won't because that would be me in that situation hoping they don't.

The worst for me ever was about 20 years ago when a policeman asked to use my phone and I said it the house was kind of messy and he said " Oh, I'm sure it's immaculate!." Then we were both embarressed. :thud:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Deckr -- I think you are right - we are alike on this board!

I think you did that policeman a very good service by showing him what nice peoples' houses really look like when they are not inspecting company. They are NOT immaculate. It was a good thing that he learned how most of us really live!

welshbabe

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
but now I figure if they want a clean house, they need to call me and let me know they are coming. If you drop in on me, you take what you get!

I don't know of anyone that I have to ring before visiting. And I don't think I'd like it if I was told to either.

I've had people (villagers, friends etc) visit at lunchtime with me still not dressed and house in choase - got so I just don't mind so much (have ME so can't have everything immaculate anyway).

People come to see me and not the house.

I think we all tend to cut ourselves off these days - and I would NEVER not answer the door to anyone - even if inconvenient.

Only people I dislike calling are the Jehovah's Witnesses - who don't get a chance to say anything before I say its inconvenient.

Do we really want to go back to the Victorian habit of having cetain hours for visits - and to have your card taken in and wait to see if you're going to be granted an audience?

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I live with my mom and she has people dropping by all the time. Even with a somewhat lived in/cluttered house. I have one or two friends who may just stop by, but the people in my circle all lead busy lives and we dont visit much unless its a planned outing, and i really dont mind that at all. I would much prefer to be warned of a visit though.

welshbabe

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Yes iluv2scrap, I prefer to have warning too (I think).

Although if I know people are coming then you have to make the effort to get everything straight - and then i'm often to tired to enjoy the visit (with the chronic fatigue). Even though I know I shouldn't you feel you have to try and do extra stuff.

If they catch you unawares, even though its embarrasing - they can hardly expect the place to be perfect.

I think we're focusing too much on what others think of our housekeeping skills. Do YOU really evaluate your friends by how polished their mirrors are? Thought not. So therefor why should our friends judge us?
The odd ones (like those who snoop in bedrooms) arn't really worth bothering over - and are more to be pitied if that's all they have in their lives - must be quite a shallow existence.