Favorite Christmas scene in non-Christmas movie?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well, ladies??? What Christmas or holiday scenes do you treasure all the more for finding them tucked into a non-holiday film?

I love the Christmas scenes in Steel Magnolias! The outdoor Christmas carnival and then the Christmas party where it is announced that Shelby is pregnant...

I also love the Christmas tree decorating scene in You've Got Mail - where she is decorating the tree in her shop's front window and thinking about her mother...

What about you guys?

:tree2:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
oohh good question... I will have to think that one over alittle bit and see what I can come up with.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Meet Me in St. Louis, comes to my mind. When Judy Garland is singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"....sigh.

If a movie has a Christmas scene in it, I claim it for a Christmas movie. Oooo, how about "While You Were Sleeping" when Sandra Bullock was decorating her tree? And of course, "Sleepless in Seattle". One of my all time faves!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Love this question, Aunt Jamelle! Like Shannon, I'm going to have to think about it some!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
The 1st one that came to mind is 'you've got mail' too! I just love that movie. I'll have to think of another one.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I'm thinking Little Women and Meet Me in St Louis. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas gets me every time! I'm sure I'll remember more later!

Christmas Girl

Retire Member
Jul 24, 2009
Scotland
Oh, Little Women is my favourite too. When the father comes home from the war and they are all round the piano singing - I cry every time I watch it!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
What about Holiday Inn? I always think of it as a Christmas movie but there are as much,if not more,non Christmassy scenes.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
allison- That's a good one, they don't show that on TV anymore I had to buy it. I love Holiday Inn and it covers all the holidays not just Christmas.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I always love the scene in Sleepless in Seattle when Meg Ryan is driving alone and she starts singing along with the radio- Jingle Bells. And she goes,

Horses, horses, horses
Ring a ling a ling! (At the top of her lungs)

Annie

christmasrocks

MHH Member
May 30, 2008
Scotland
I'm a big Disney fan and one Disney movie that has a wonderful little Christmas scene is Lady and the Tramp! Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KWAtOZAoo

Edward Scissorhands has always been a Christmas movie for me, even though only the last 15 or so minutes are based around Christmas time.

I'm sure there's more...

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I love the Christmas scenes in Steel Magnolias, too. I've been known to play the tape until the Christmas scenes are over, and then turn it off! I also like the two Christmases in Little Women. I, too, think this will take a little thought.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
As I was driving the other day it came to me that there are some great Christmas scenes in the Harry Potter movies! :)

The one that hits me the hardest is the first movie, where little Harry is so astonished to actually get any Christmas presents. That just kills me! I just want to hug him!

There is also a pretty good scene in the first Narnia movie - where they meet the real Santa Claus and receive their gifts...

I know there are others...just can't think of any right now!

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Your's Mine and Our's, the original with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball. I love the huge Christmas scene with all 18 children and the total chaos!

I also love the tv series Christmas episodes. My favorites are Everybody Loves Raymond and Home Improvement when the kids were little.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Gonna have to think about this one. I had forgotten the scene in "Steel Magnolias." By the way, it's exactly like that at Christmas in Natchitoches where the movie was filmed. I was watching something the other day and there was a Christmas scene in it, but now I can't remember what it was. I just remember being surprised. And thinking I needed to "declare" it a Christmas movie. :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I do not know about 'favorite' lol, all I could think of was the movies Gremlins (my boys still like this movie), and Bridgit Jones's Diary.