February 2015 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, 2/6: Yesterday -- a "volunteer" spoke (to a group of seniors) about decluttering. Basically -- she repeated all the old, old suggestions:

Get a box for giveaways, a bag for trash and a box for (things to put back in other rooms)
Spend 15 minutes at a time - use a timer
Give yourself "small goals" - like "one shelf" rather than "one entire room"
Take photos of "sentimental things then get rid of them"

As the 20 people in the room -- chatted about decluttering -- it became clear - that what works for one person may not work for another!

One woman said that she turns on beautiful music, while she declutters

Another responded that if she turned on beautiful music - she would LISTEN to the music instead of decluttering

So -- I enjoyed being with the group. But I did not learn anything helpful -- for me! Maybe I do not NEED to learn any more -- maybe I just need to continue working on it!

The last few days were just about "real life" -- and not about ME decluttering! Today -- I spent 3 hours "clearing surfaces" -- before the 3-person cleaning crew came. (The house-cleaning service is a monthly gift from dd). So the house LOOKS very nice. (We all know how to "hide clutter from sight", don't we?)

The rest of the day has been spent doing errands, doing dishes, paying bills, doing laundry, making telephone calls -- all the "real life" stuff that we do.

I have just decided to grab a big trash bag. One by one -- I will go into all the rooms of the house -- and try to fill it with things that can go Out The Door. The trash and recycling people came this morning -- so there is plenty of room in the cans!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
SN, I am with you on continuing on. I pitch and pitch and no end!!!

Tonight Allen is going to go thru his under clothes and soxs. I have a basket of soxs to match up and will go from there. His easy way out bedsides all the paper crap we have to deal with! lol At least something is getting done.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
For me I tend to put a mindless movie on to just stop once in awhile and watch but dosnt keep my interest enough to make me stop completely.
I'm working on my craft room this month. Got a lot done last weekend

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
One night last week I decluttered 3 jewelry boxes. I went through all of my jewelry and got out all that I no longer wear. Now, I need to make something for my necklaces to hang on so I can see them. I never wear them because I have to dig for them.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I like music while I clean. :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Jane I put some dollar store cork boards that dh glued inside my armoire doors. I can't put all my necklaces up but the main ones do go there... love it! now they are not all tangled together.

Ellen I know my nephew (5) would love that capitain America cape! the towels are just too nice.

today I think I'll start my deep spring cleaning. I know it's early but the closets got done quicker than I thought (had already decluttered alot in them earlier last year). So I'm going in my bedroom. DH is washing the truck.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Tuesday, 2/10/15: Over the last few days -- I've done at least "one" 15-minute decluttering session every day. It's easier to do more than that "one" -- decluttering session -- on weekends! (For people with children at home -- weekends can be the worst time -- to get this kind of stuff done!)

This morning -- between Real Life Stuff -- I did get another 15 minute of decluttering -- done. Soon -- I'm off to pick up dgs15 and dgs6 -- from school and take them home for snacks and homework. (Dgs6 is very proud… when he has "homework"… like his big brothers). When I get home -- I'll try for more decluttering. Although by that time -- it may be "decluttering paperwork" -- while I watch TV.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I am working in my room but I did find about 5 pairs of soxs that I didn't wrap for Jaymee for Christmas. Also when I cleaned out one drawer I gave Jaymee some stickers that I have had. She uses them for a planner and this group on FB trades them around and have sticker buddies.

So just a dab moved out!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Lana every dab counts!

The 19 books I had put aside to give away are getting given away... slowly... I bring 5 at a time at work... next time my bag will be empty! Maybe tomorrow. Still have 3 bags of stuff to donate in the closet.. can't wait to go to mom's! :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Luludou -- that is so true! "Every Dab Counts"!!!!!! I think that is my new motto!

So -- slowly slowly slowly. I emptied a small table, that was in a corner in the living room. There is a shelf under the table that held a lot of hard covert books. They belonged to dh. He said, "You know that I like to keep my books". And that is true and it's fine with me. But -- after looking through the books -- he said that he could "pass on" many of them. So we'll drop them off, on the give-away shelves" at our library. (Actually you donate the books and they sell them for 50 cents).

Then, I moved the little table into our bedroom and put it in front of a window. I found some sheets -- (while decluttering earlier) -- that are pretty close to the pale blue color of the walls. I slipped the pillowcase over the back of the small wooden chair. I put the folded sheet on top of the table. I now have an unobtrusive but pretty little spot -- to sit with my computer and look out the window. All this because decluttering opened up lots of space in the bedroom. (Well, not LOTS -- but some).

And -- on we go!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
February 17th: SO COLD OUTSIDE. (Way below zero with the wind chill). Thank Goodness that we got out yesterday -- because we are NOT getting out today! Which has been perfect for decluttering. Downsizing clothing, books, shredding old bills/papers. Step-by-step…. working towards the clear, clean, serene look. Lots of time spent working - with plenty of breaks for computer fun, resting, reading, talking on the phone. Of course -- none of the bags of recycling and donations -- are getting taken outside. There is enough snow and ice outside… to make me decide to wait for a safer day.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Today dh decluttered the 'catch-all' basket on the kitchen counter.... half of it went in the garbage.. old keys, broken pens, etc....

I got rid of a plastic plant on my kitchen counter... time to make a change!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Luludou: "making a change" is nice, isn't it! ESPECIALLY when we have cleared out some space…. as part of "the change"!!! In fact…. I think you realized before I did…. that "clearing out some space"… is a wonderful change by itself!!!!!

I browsed an interesting book that was written by a psychiatrist who sometimes appears on the TV program "Hoarders". (Melba Green). She explained that our clutter -- represents confused, rats-nests (my word) of emotions and unresolved feelings -- in our life. THAT is why it is sometimes - so hard! - to straighten- out "clutter". But ---- when we do --- we are straightening out these "unresolved feelings and thoughts". THAT is why out feels so good -- when we go back and look at a space that we have decluttered! Because - now - our feelings/thoughts about that space -- are peaceful and happy!

Yesterday, I pulled dh's sweaters from the top of his closet -- and put them into a nice, newly emptied dresser drawer. He was happy to be able to actually "see the sweaters" -- rather than reaching up into the closet shelf -- and "feeling around" for a sweater! He looks really good in sweaters -- but it was easier for him to "find" sweatshirts in the closet. Now he has a nice, serene choice. And I get to see him wearing a sweater, more often.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today, dh wore a lovely grey sweater over a red turtleneck! THAT is a wonderful (visual) reward for me -- for the decluttering/organizing that I did (for him) yesterday. He said that he enjoyed opening a drawer and choosing a sweater. Win-win.

I don't know if there will be any "wins" today. I have an hour and a half -- until we leave for dgs13's basketball game. My "motivation level" is pretty low. I'll grab a big trash bag and see what I can do!

PS OK - It is time to leave for the game. Everything is tidy. I got more decluttering done - not a lot - "just a dab"!!!!!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH decluttered more paperwork yesterday. we sure have done lots of paper decluttering in the last months..... but so much more to do!

I decided I need to 'use up' what I have too... too many candles so I've been burning some of them in the evening.... dd has leftover candle making stuff ... I need to make them (but need her help) and then clear that entire drawer... lots of things won't be needed in there when the candle-making is done.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
February 21st. Yesterday-- I (slowly, while watching TV) -- pulled more of dh's clothes out of the closet -- sorted, folded nicely, and arranged them in his dresser. Now it is SO much easier for dh to choose what to wear. It is serene (inside that dresser)! There is STILL a lot to do i his closest. (SO MANY sweatshirts! Dh loves them!)

I noticed that the rest of the house got "into disarray" - while I was working on dh's clothes. I am not so good at "maintaining". So - today I will do a lot of maintaining! Another winter storm is predicted for later today. So…. perhaps I will have time to work on dh's sweatshirts -- after "maintaining" everything else. "A dab at a time"!!!

1:00 Back from morning errands. It started snowing while we were on the way home. It looks pretty bad outside Dh turned on the basketball game - and fell asleep on the couch. I had a sandwich, read stuff on the computer - and seem to have run out of excuses. Sigh. I am now heading off to see what I can get done - inside!

6:00 OK, I worked on dh's closet. I put all of his sweatshirts on the bed. He came in and went through them with me. Two bags are now filled with sweatshirts for donations! I have been arranging the remaining sweatshirts in a series of hanging, connected metal bins - in his closet. I went through his dress shirts and straightened them, on hangers. Now… I have to go back and find places for his collection of "golf shirts". More t-shirts turned up, among the sweatshirts. And now -- the space for t-shirts -- is no longer big enough to hold them. Lots of adjustments have to be made! Things are dramatically improved - and getting better as we speak!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
deep-cleaned linen closet... got 2 bedsheets and a set of shower curtain rings in the donation bag. Made rags with some towels.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
deep-cleaned bathroom armoires.. got rid of expired medication, a few old nail polishes and a few odds & ends :)