Gift Closet 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I went back to Hallmark and got a few more ornaments and found a cute Christmas Moose Webkinz that my daughter will love.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
What a great start on the gift closet! I need to go thru mine & see what's "carried over". Have gotten a few things for my mom's 25 Days gifts, but when she went into the hospital, I realized I needed to do better~~~several items were high sodium (cheese/crackers, etc). So I need to revamp & try to do better this year!

I did the home made things for my boys 2010 (jelly, etc) & may repeat for 2011. One is in divorce proceedings & neither bake bread so it should work. Oldest son elected to be a no-show in 2010 so his/theirs is still waiting for them. The grands are all old enough to understand the family concept. The 2 that were at my house for Christmas took some of the items to their apartments instead of having to go to their dad's to "share". And they know the rule: if the empty jars don't come back, there will be no more jelly! :-]

Happy shopping!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
JayOkie they are great gifts! I'm sure they were greatly appreciated.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
JayOkie, such great gifts. I am really trying to do more hand made gifts this year. i am not a great cook but I might try some jams and things later in the year. I think some home made bread sound great.

When I was tidying out the linen cupboard the other day I found a boxed set of placemats and coasters that were given to me years ago. They are nice, just not my taste. I will add them to the gift cupboard and maybe give them to some one at work.
While I was in our K-Mart the other day I found a lovely black box that contained all sorts of bath items. $15.00 was the original price it was marked down to $2.50. I got 2 to put in the gift closet. I will maybe give to DD to give as a gift as she goes to alot of birthdays.

Last edited:

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I got some more christmas gifts - a dvd for dh on sale "holiday inn" (he loves that movie) and for my daughter the dvd "confessions of a shopaholic" - also on sale. she has wanted this dvd for a while now. combine my daughter's dvd with the three shirts I got her at Lands End on deep clearance - that is a good start for her.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Got a good sale for kids today. So I've added for 2 nieces - 2 sweaters each + 1 skirt... they'll have one for Easter, one for Christmas + 1 for their bday. $5 for each item
Also added a vest for dnephew ($12) and a baby gift for neighbor's daughter ($10) who should have her babygirl anyminute today.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
what an awesome start.... I know I have picked up some decorative socks, art work, and just last week, I went to DG & they were having a 25 cents sale.. and I looked in my change purse and said what quarters I have I will buy clearance... lol lol I walked out of Dollar General with lots of 18ft garland, so now I have new garland to go around my deck posts.... woooo hooooooo

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Found 3 purple candle holders (probably for DD) at 25 cents each.
Bought 4 small boys beautiful sweaters for $5 each (3 for easter - 3 different nephew), 1 for dnephew at christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It is amazing what bargains we can get when we have the time to look.
I am getting great gifts at the moment and the closet is looking quite healthy again.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up a couple more christmas gifts this week at Walmart. 2 Littlest pet shops animals - LPS version of webkinz. They were marked down and then it was 50% of the marked down price so I got them for $2.50 each. I already filled up one tote with gifts and now I have to get another tote....

I ran back into walmart last night for a quick minute and sw they had a bunch more stuff marked 50% off the mark down price. I could not check it out as I had the kids with me but I am hoping to get back there this weekend to see if I can find anything else.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am doing really well on the non perishable stocking fillers. I have already got quite a few shampoos, talcs toothbrushes etc put away for everyone's stockings.
Am waiting for the summer stuff to go on clearance here soon. I will stock up on chap sticks, sunscreen and all of those summer type of things.
My plan is to have the stocking fillers done by June or July and then all I will have to do is wrap them and put in the last minute perishable items.

Am trying harder to make gifts this year so am working on my shopping list of items needed so that I can start making things soon. We are coming up to our winter so hopefully I can get some crafting done over the next few months.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
The gc idea is a terrific one! I'm glad I read this.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Having time to shop...... and keeping our eyes open for those huge markdowns.... that's the ticket! Keep up the great work, Christmas Lovers!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a dark, rainy Sunday. A good day to spend some time.... rearranging my "gift closet"..... which is a dresser in the office/guest room. I DO "raid" the stash of goodies, during the year.... when I haven't had time to shop for a gift. That works for me. I prefer to shop when I have time and am rested.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I was at walmart the other day and they had a ton of children's, toddler's and baby winter clothes marked down at to $1 for seperates and $3 for outfits. Picked up a couple outfits for b-day/christmas gifts for my god daughter's son. Going to back later this week and see if I can pickup a few more outfits for him. All I will have left to get him is a small toy and then he will be done for b-day/christmas.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up a couple of kids jewerly boxes on clearance for 75% off at Kmart the other day One is a regular jewerly box and the other is a box with 3 drawers that I would be perfect to store hair bands and clips and both are perfect for my daughter.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
Since my kids are older, I am trying to save Gift Cards throughout the year because then I can just shop closer to time. I have $10 Kmart, $25 American Eagle, $70 in amazon.com, and $50 in Old Navy. I bought some PJs, a Christmas shirt, and a jacket the other day for only $1 a piece at Wal Mart for our Angel Tree kids (now to make sure we get the right size kids!). We picked up some nutrackers for my son, and I know I have some other stuff - need to clean out the closet, I guess! :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Great work, wvalice! Gift cards are such a good idea!!! And... great bargains are fabulous!

I dipped into my gift closet today. (That is OK... it is Christmas AND year-round.) We were invited to visit a friend recuperating from surgery. We brought flowers and baked treats. And, for the two little girls in the house, two summer dresses bought at big sale last year. AND two adorable, colorful "jelly balls" from Pier One (75% off sale) that light up when you throw them or roll them.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
WvAlice - awesome! great work!
SN - so true... gifts can be used all year long