Hardest people to buy gifts for...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Mine are my DD and DSIL. They can get just about anything they want, and his parents are well off, and get them really nice gifts. (One year, my DD got a pair of diamond earrings for one of her gifts!).

My SIL loves Starbucks, and for his b/d one year, I gave him a $20 gift card. He told my daughter it was the best gift he EVER got! So, now, for b/d and Christmas, I give him a gift card to Starbucks. Last year, I gave DD a membership to the library. They live outside the city limits, so have to pay. I don't like her to use my card, because she is often late returning her books. lol So now she has her own card. They are getting the same thing this year, because that is what they want. DSIL said, "Keep the Starbucks coming."

And, this will be the last year I give a lot for Christmas. After this it will be for the grandkids, and maybe something small for the adults.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
MIL and DH.

MIL - has no interests (reading, puzzles, tv, music) and does not want clothes, perfume, body lotions, etc..... so she gets $$ (which I do not consider a gift!)

DH - he wants tools and I don't know tools... so he buys it himself. He is also a bit like his mother with not lots of interests.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
everyone :p

Actually I am terrible with gifts - I get really flustered. I am not a gift person (not my love language) so REALLY have to make an effort do it.

I am turning out to be the gift card queen.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
My hardest to buy for are my dd15 and ds12. I can't buy them clothes with out them being with me. They are too picky (hmmm moms the same way). DD15 gets books she wants the day they come out. She did metion that she wants her own laptop. Hasn't figured out how to be on two phones and the internet at the same time. I think she has figured it out. Thinking about paying a year on her phone for her since she does pay for it herself (she babysits alot)

DS12 is just him. He has everything he wants. Somehow he tricks me into buying him his games when he wants them. He does want his own cell right now my boys share a prepaid when they need to go somewhere. I am thinking about it. It would make things alot easier since I am trying to give both boys a little more freedom. His brother goes to a friends alot and ds12 likes to go to highschool and jr high games with friends, and doesn't want mom hanging around in the background. Even though it is hard he is very responsible and knows there is no taking off mom will take him and pick him up or one of his friends moms will.

I am glad that both ds13 and dd11 are still pretty easy. For ds13 as long as it Syracuse Basketball he'll wear it and is games for his ps3 hes good

DD11 is getting picky but still loves what mommy buys her. Gotta love my baby

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Luckily for me I have no one to buy for except my DD, my S/O and my mom...my brothers and SIL's do not exchange and 2 years ago my one SIL asked if we could not exchange with the kids. Sounds awful, but it's really not....we are all in different states and do not see each other, so it gets costly shipping presents...so I was ok with it. I don't really have a hard time with my DD & SO as I try to "listen" to what they say their likes are and try to pick up things that they may not realize I remembered! My DD19 knows that Christmases now will have less gifts, as she is in college and I fly her out here for her winter break, but it's still a wonderful time for all of us!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Nancy a couple of years ago my brothers, sister and myself decided that we would no longer exchange gifts between ourselves. Just makes it easier. But we still all buy for the kids. We are all together on Christmas morning at my moms to open gifts together. We all have our own families but my parents want us all there Christmas morning to open gifts and my dad's omlets. It is hard to buy for my sisters(stepsister) kids because between her and her mother they get everything, but I always figure something out.

Last year one of my brothers got all the kids giftcards for Walmart they all loved them they got to go pick out what they wanted the day after Christmas. I am thinking of doing the same thing this year for her two kids at least. My nieces and one nefew are easy I make them somehting. One niece wouldn't have anything except made from me because she knows that I made it out of love for her. My new niece (step niece 11) loved two things last Christmas the fleece blanket I made her from my mom and the fleece scarf I made her.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Nancy a couple of years ago my brothers, sister and myself decided that we would no longer exchange gifts between ourselves. Just makes it easier. But we still all buy for the kids. We are all together on Christmas morning at my moms to open gifts together. We all have our own families but my parents want us all there Christmas morning to open gifts and my dad's omlets. It is hard to buy for my sisters(stepsister) kids because between her and her mother they get everything, but I always figure something out.

Last year one of my brothers got all the kids giftcards for Walmart they all loved them they got to go pick out what they wanted the day after Christmas. I am thinking of doing the same thing this year for her two kids at least. My nieces and one nefew are easy I make them somehting. One niece wouldn't have anything except made from me because she knows that I made it out of love for her. My new niece (step niece 11) loved two things last Christmas the fleece blanket I made her from my mom and the fleece scarf I made her.

Kim ~ It's so nice that you are all together on Christmas morning! I love that your nieces and nephew love your handmade gifts! All of the "kids" in my family are grown...mine is the youngest at 19 and now my nephew has a baby daughter of his own. She will be fun to shop for, although I have to watch what I buy as they are in NJ and I will have to ship...Still fun though as I will wait til my DD gets here to go shopping!

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
My kids ds14 and dd13 are the hardest to buy for. Not because I don't know what to get them but because there are so many things they want and they are ALL expensive. I have to pick and choose what to get them so they usually end up with just a few presents each under the tree. I hate that because I love to have a mountain of presents under the tree like when they were younger and their "toys" were cheap! If I get my ds a couple of the XBox games he wants and a few pairs of name brand jeans and hoodies that shoots my budget. The games are $60 each! The clothes aren't cheap either. Same with my dd.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
We also stopped exchanging presents with my husbands side of the family. Last year, instead of stopping gift giving altogether with my sister and BIL, we decided to buy a small gift ($10.00 or under) for eachother, and only buy gifts for the kids. Now my hardest to buy for is my 3 kids. They rarely play with any toys anymore, and that seems to go in phases. They do play video games but there is only a handfull that they like to play. I have a son who's birthday is late September and another in November. They usually end up being able to get what they are wanting then. They love hockey, but only one of the sporting goods stores near us carry anything hockey and that is only a handfull of sticks, and hockey tape and that is it. They really don't need any new gear (I have to buy off the internet or drive 1 1/2 hours), and I'm hesitant to pick out anything because they are growing too fast, and it can be expensive. Plus they are picky about that as well. There are a handful of San Jose sharks items at the mall since that is the closest team, but my kids like the Pittsburgh penguins, Colorado Avalanche, and the Flyers. It is also hard having all 3 of them boys, because most ideas I come accross that I think they would like, I usually have already given to one of the other boys. I don't know what I would do without internet shopping because even when they have money, there often is nothing at the local stores that they want. Ds 15 does like clothes, but is picky also. Ds10 and Ds12 are at the stage where they are picky about clothes, but wouldn't be happy about getting them as gifts either. So my kids are definitely my hardest to buy for.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
For the last few years we have only bought for the children in my side of the familly. I suggested the same idea to my in-laws but they said it wouldn't be the same. So we still buy gifts for my husband's side of the family but smaller gifts for the adults and bigger presents for my two nieces. But it IS getting harder every year! My eldest niece will be 13 this Sunday and I fear we are getting to the stage where we will have to give her money. Don't get me wrong,she will love that but I miss the days of giving nicely wrapped presents lol! I'm thinking of buying something really small just to wrap so she has a surprise just like her sister :)

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
My eldest niece will be 13 .... I'm thinking of buying something really small just to wrap so she has a surprise just like her sister :)

My oldest niece just turned 13. You could buy your niece some inexpensive jewellery (earrings or necklace) or some lip gloss. There are some easy options for little stuff at that age.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My DH is the hardest to buy for. He mostly likes tools but has all kinds of them. So we usually get him treats, & clothes...We don't exchange with DH family(except for his DSis she buys for DGD) however we get together to eat, usually Dec 24th. They do a dirty Santa & everyone who wants to participate in it brings a $10 gift. My mom is the only one of our parents left alive & we buy for her. My 9 yr old DGD is the easiest to buy for she likes whatever she gets :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think GC are wonderful for people who are hard to find the right gift to give them. I'm rather hard to buy for and I love GCs. Would much rather get a gift card than a gift I do not like. Could be from my favorite restaurant, coffee shop (always welcome), scrapbooking store or a gas card. Love those GCs.

The only thing we ask from my dh son's family is for a family photo. There are three sets of grandparents so I do not think they need to buy us things.

But I want the WHOLE family not just the kids. I do have to put a reminder out this year. The last few years we've received what I call orphan kids photos. Photos without the parents. I want the whole family. See I am picky. Can just be them sitting on the sofa doesn't need to be a professional photo.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I think GC are wonderful for people who are hard to find the right gift to give them. I'm rather hard to buy for and I love GCs. Would much rather get a gift card than a gift I do not like. Could be from my favorite restaurant, coffee shop (always welcome), scrapbooking store or a gas card. Love those GCs.

The only thing we ask from my dh son's family is for a family photo. There are three sets of grandparents so I do not think they need to buy us things.

But I want the WHOLE family not just the kids. I do have to put a reminder out this year. The last few years we've received what I call orphan kids photos. Photos without the parents. I want the whole family. See I am picky. Can just be them sitting on the sofa doesn't need to be a professional photo.

Ahorsesoul I don't consider myself hard to buy for but others might LOL I like you actually prefer a GC, now if I could just get them to but them for me :)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
DH is the hardest. He always wants these obscure items that are for sale only on certain websites. Sometimes he gives me a list of website addresses. It is not fun to shop that way! I want to go to a store and feel the holiday spirit!

And sometimes I just have to guess.

Debbie

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My DH, mom, and grandmother are hardest to buy for. DH has no hobbies and doesn't like to read.
My mom doesn't ever stay at her house. She stays at my grandmother's house, who is 95, because mom is scared for her to stay by herself. I can't but her anything for her house anymore.
Grandmother is hard to buy for because she is 95. I started buying her a series of Christian books a few years ago and she likes them (Janette Oke), but she has stopped writing now. She used to love working in the yard, but can't do that much any more.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
My oldest niece just turned 13. You could buy your niece some inexpensive jewellery (earrings or necklace) or some lip gloss. There are some easy options for little stuff at that age.

I think that's what I will do. She doesn't have her ears pierced but she does love bracelets. Unfortunately she is into designer jewellery! Her last bracelet cost over 100 pounds!!!!!!Crazy!!!!!!!!But I'm thinking lip gloss,bubble bath,bath bombs that sort of thing. Thank goodness DD10 loves her gifts from high street stores!:) For now lol!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
What about buying your niece a charm bracelet? Then you can add a charm each year.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Alisonmcg - I agree - those pre-teen/early teen girls are tough! I would not dare try to buy them clothes and I get so tired of gift cards because I like to give them gifts as well. Not sure what to do this year.