HGP 2013-Who's in?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
YES! Pinned it, and marked a day on my dayplanner to begin setting up the pages and reminders for myself. I am so looking forward to another wonderful holiday celebration with all of you!

kakelady

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
I do a combo.. and does it seem like it should start earlier to any one else? I know that that isn't realistic as everything would just get messed up again.. but.. I am in SERIOUS need of extra help this year. Last year.. which should have been my optimal year was awful. I, because of the planning, usual excel at me holiday preparedness. But last year when I had not one but TWO visiting families, I should have been in the zone. But we had probably our worst year to date. When your child is hospitalized 5 times in one year, multiple trips to the ER and daily IV infusions lasting 4-8 hours.. not to mention the tireless doctors visits.. Preparing for Christmas doesn't seem that important. But we are hoping to get back on track this year. I'm ready.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Hi, Kakelady! The official kickoff can be any time you want/need it to be. It seems to me some years is starts the last week of August, I think. Several of us did some major decluttering over the summer to get a head start. Work ahead anywhere you feel you need to. If there's rooms you don't have on the plan, use that week for an area that needs more work.

Many of us work outside the home and simply can't do the volume of preparedness either of the plans call for. We always say that anything that gets done is better than nothing, so don't beat yourself up for what doesn't get done. And remember, it will never be that Norman Rockwell Christmas we picture in our minds, but more like the one on Christmas Vacation with Cousin Eddie included! lol

We also talk about "real life" settling in, which it seems to me happened at your house last year. I hope your child is better now! Hats off to you for having all that going on plus still being gracious enough to host 2 families at your house for Christmas. Sounds like you rock to me!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kakelady, Jane has put it all in words beautifully. Hope your child is better.

kakelady

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
Since it was my Family's Families visiting... its ALWAYS Christmas Vacation. I never expect Norman Rockwell. It just wouldn't suit me or my family. But having even a hint of preparedness would've been nice. Last year my idea of being prepared was buying an extra package of meat each time we went to Costco for a couple months before everyone came. It was just not what I would've liked.. everyone know what I mean.. It's my family.. you want to put on you're best face. But by the end of the year we were happy to have survived the year and in the end, happy we could spend it with family. Happy that my son could go with us to get the tree, even if he had a feeding tube. SO I wasn't as prepared with baked goods and ornaments for everyone that visited.. works out better.. This year I can send them the ornaments that I had intended with pictures from our x-mas. I believe that it all works out like it is supposed to.. Its just the getting there that I have to work through :).

I appreciate the support and everybody asking about DS.. He has been stable for about three months now. We have a great team of doctors for him and look forward to educating people on his condition. He has started back school half day after missing more than 80% of his school year last year. It will be a challenge for everyone.. but as with everything we will plan.

I plan to have a great Christmas.. and Plan to get to work! My gift closet is more stocked this year than ever... (most likely being afraid of repeating last year). I'm afraid my Christmas letter will suffer as a result of this. All we have done has revolved around this.. even our pictures are marked by both good and bad occasions.. Might have to Just send cards.. But I am going to need alot of help in the clutter and reorganizing department.. have a lot of medical supplies.. I am not sure where to put or if I can even get rid of yet... it over flowed out of my closets..

I've started a little preemptive cleaning declutter that comes with back to school.. I try to keep up on that year round.. and just went through the craft closet.. I'm also trying to rope my MIL into a rudolph day of our own to prep for her having family visiting this year.. Trying recipes we can freeze or crockpot, and just getting ready..but I am definitely ready for Happy fun things like Halloween and CHRISTMAS!! I need happy..

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Kakelady - you are in the right place! We'll all help encourage you throughout the next 16 weeks and beyond. Jane was right - I always try to remind myself that whatever gets done on the plan (before RL takes over) is more than I would've done otherwise. I am so glad your son is doing better - that's the best present of all!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Kakelady, glad to read your son is doing okay.
Sometimes life does get in the way. (In 2009 my dh had a heart attack the day before Thanksgiving. My parents were here from Alaska and my son was here from Pittsburgh. I didn't spend much time with them on Thanksgiving day.)
Focus on yourself & your family & do what you can & it will all work out. :)

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Kakelady, I am sorry to hear you had a bad Christmas and year last year. The important thing is that your DS is doing well. Like some of the others have said, the plan is ambitious if you follow it to the letter.

I am one of the FT working folks, my DH works overseas 50% of his time (and works when he's home too) and I have a DD with SNs (HF aspergers and ADHD) - so life is full on in our house. (We have an au pair too since DH started working overseas, which helps but also makes it more complicated!!).

I look on the HGP as an opportunity. It gives me headings to work on when I have 5 minutes. It gives me a room to concentrate a couple of 15 minute blocks on, to clear the clutter and maybe get some deep cleaning done. It makes me think about how I want the holidays to work and how I need to go about that.

It does NOT make my house look like Martha Stewart's house, or like a professional cleaning crew have spent a week shining it all up. It does not guarantee that I am not going to be mailing a few cards on the deadline day (or later) or wrapping the last few things at midnight on Christmas Eve (or as we leave the house on Christmas Day). It does not result in me showering everyone around me with homemade mince pies and cookies, and giving beautifully handcrafted presents.

But there's a chance that the house will be relatively clean. I may get 1 batch of mince meat made, so I can give it in jars or use shopbought pastry to have 1 batch of pies. I usually manage to save a few $ by finding things in sales (and 1 year, I was lucky to buy something special early so it was still in stock!!). I always have something for everyone on the list, and although that is sometimes a very generic "that'll do" type of present (like bath stuff or a bottle of wine), it is usually something that is a good match for the person and their needs/interests (which may BE bath/wine etc, but their favourite type, or something quirky for them - doesn't have to be expensive, more that it needs thought before going to the generic mall stores in a panic to get everything in an hour - internet shopping is GREAT!!, especially in the middle of the night or, in your case, times sitting beside someone while having a treatment so you are there, but can be on a device to research and even shop together for others, or while the patient naps during treatment or you are waiting in waiting rooms). I am far less likely to miss out on family events by ensuring I've booked tickets and organised diaries to not clash with other events. I'll have, maybe not new clothes - but clean, nicely put together outfits for the different things happening. I will have made sure I have put a few minutes aside at critical points to have a bath or take a walk so that I can unwind a little too (and I have the nice bubbles for the bath, or have checked the forecast to have firewood and hot choc ready when I get home!). I'll have my cards list made, so that when I have to take a trip or know DD has an appointment, I will bring the list and a pack of 10 cards with me, I might write none or all 10 - but little spots of time get used up practically that way. And I have some opportunity somewhere to give something back and remember the true spirit of Christmas.

And despite November-February being absolutely manically busy at work, I'll have done enough that Christmas is nice, I am not turned into a gibbering wreck in the corner, the family gets to do a few nice fun things together (and we are not running around stressed to the max doing shopping) in December, and we have enough things in to allow us a nice dinner and to entertain any visitors without pigging out on the 20 boxes of chocolates so I can't fit my clothes by Jan 1st!!

And best of all, by having a plan, and making use of the little spots of time I may get to tick off small things from my list, I suddenly realise one day that I have a LOT of things done and that really helps reduce stress levels too. (That, and learning to lower my expectations a few years back - once everyone is warm, comfortable and well fed, all the rest are trimmings. You don't have to spend $$$, or have the "perfect" house/decorations/feast, to have a good Christmas).

Sorry, I am not meaning to preach, just try to reassure you, remind myself (and possibly trying to avoid looking at real work things now that I am back chained to the desk again!).

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Yesterday I read both plans again, making notes, etc. This is the first year that I am in good shape to start the plan. It will be fun to follow along, and be able to post my progress. Be accountable in a sense.

I work full time too and the end of the year is usually busy. The detailed cleaning has to wait until the weekends. But I like the holiday items that I can check off my list each week. Having the notes from last year really helps too. I've already made a replenishment list of wrapping supplies that I need when I cleaned out my closet a few weeks ago.

Last year's experience of wrapping and trying to get the gifts mailed to out of state people has really stuck in my mind, especially when I crushed my finger carrying a box a week before Christmas and I had to go to Fedex with an ice pack on my hand. I need to have all my labels printed, boxes, packing material, sharpies, etc. ready and organized.

If anything, the plan makes you think ahead so that you are not scrambling at the last minute.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Last year's experience of wrapping and trying to get the gifts mailed to out of state people has really stuck in my mind, especially when I crushed my finger carrying a box a week before Christmas and I had to go to Fedex with an ice pack on my hand.

OUCH! Hope it healed quickly!

Printed off my calendars today, and started my master lists. SO looking forward to the holidays.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I still have problems with the finger, pretty sure I did some nerve damage. But just goes to show you things go wrong at the last minute. I still had lots to wrap and couldn't tie any ribbons last year.

I printed off my lists and put them into a nice dark red binder. I printed out both plans as they each have things I like to do. I have already checked off the things I already have done. I'm so glad I got my paperwork and files, and my craft closet done this summer.

So excited to get started!

Pigeon House

Retire Member
Aug 22, 2013
Hello all!

I've done the HGP in the past ( not very well though) but I've never participated in a group.
Like some others said I'll be tweaking the plan a bit to meet my needs. I host thanksgiving but go to my mom's and mil's for christmas.

Very excited to get started. I have some areas here under control and others overwhelmingly out of control.

Money is extremely tight this holiday season so I need to make sure I am staying on top of homemade gifts or else I'm sunk!!

Happy to meet you all and get some work done!!

Lisa

Last edited:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Hi, Lisa. Welcome to the boards. We're always glad to see a happy new face! Hope you get everything of under control in the out of control areas.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Glad to see you posting Pigeon House!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
For the first time in years, I'm thinking of not doing the HGP this year. :( Just not really practical for me at this point - the apartment is pretty tiny and only needs basic maintenance since we haven't replaced most of our stuff and/or it is still in storage units.

I shudder to think about the job ahead of me when its time to bring all those boxes from the units home to the new house.

And I have a feeling that we will be moving back home the first part of December. I hold out hope it will happen late November - but we'll see.

SO - this year I'm going to give H+H a try - but really, my focus will be on holiday prep. I probably should re-read the HGP plan just to get my head on straight. Everyone keeps mentioning following HGP for the holiday prep tasks alone - maybe I should consider that as well.

Just going a million miles an hour these days, between working full time, DS health issues, working on the house (sweat equity :) ) and other misc. drama - life is just exhausting. But I have to get ahead of the game on the holidays, because if we are moving home in December anything I don't have done prior is likely to just not get done. Period.

This should be an interesting year! lol