HGP 2015 - Week 1 - List Week!!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
AUGUST 30, 2015 TO SEPTEMBER 5, 2015

"Week One is List Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

During this week, we kick off holiday prep with lists, lists and more lists.

We'll print helpful calendars and forms for Christmas organizing and begin to create a Christmas notebook.

This week's cleaning focus is the front porch: We'll clean and organize the area around the front door so that our home will be ready to welcome visitors during the holiday season.

Ready to jump into List Week? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!"

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/01-list-week

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, it's GO time! :) Wasn't sure who wants to start threads this year but thought I'd throw this up for today...

I am SO excited!

It is sick that I am excited about extra cleaning chores? hehe

I have my Fall wreath ready to go - finished it yesterday - and will be hanging that on my front door when I finish my other front porch tasks - hopefully today but we'll see.

Getting a late start due to being up all night with DS and his sniffles...

Have a GREAT day everyone and post your updates when you can! Hooray!

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Yayyy! So excited to get this going for another year.

Here's my "To Do" list for the week:

- Wash the outside of all first floor windows.
- Put away porch and patio items no longer needed for fall/winter.
- Clean and organize the barn for fall/winter.
- Trim bushes and trees. In Progress
- Feed pine trees.
- Begin fall garden cleanup. Done
- Put away pool. In Progress
- Decorate porch for fall (purchase mums, etc.).
- Tidy freezer to make room for freezer meals. Throw out anything that is expired or no longer usable.
- Check for birdseed/suet sales and begin stocking up.
- Arrange for seasonal plow service.
- Purchase holiday concert tickets.
- Make an autumn "bucket list". Done
- Update Christmas card list with new addresses, etc.
- Plan menus for Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving.
- Make a long-term shopping list for Thanksgiving.
- Make a list of recipes to put together for freezer meals.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
eeeek!!!!
I totally forgot it started today!!
Well, my evening is now officially planned :)

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
eeeek!!!!
I totally forgot it started today!!
Well, my evening is now officially planned :)

I read your blog what a wonderful little Blog, the stories are so sweet I love it!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I have my planner almost done. Will finish it today. Mostly I need to fill in my budget and gift ideas. I plan to do my porch later in the week.

Cheerychick... your list is amazing!!

I am also creating a planning/craft/gift space as suggested by the House and Holiday Plan. I need to be super organized.

I will post my weekly progress on my blog. This will keep me accountable and on track--- hopefully.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
AhorseSoul ~
I'm over on the Houseworks thread but I just emailed you a copy of my FlyLady Zone schedule since I just laid it out for the year. Thought you might like a copy since we discussed it last year. Starts tomorrow. :) Sent it to your Yahoo.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Cheerychick... your list is amazing!!

Thanks! :) We live in the upper Midwest, so the cold weather comes early, and I know we have a lot of weekend things coming up in September, so I'm trying to make a big head start with the outdoor chores before October arrives.

I was feeling really motivated today, so I made a huge dent in what I wanted to accomplish for the week.

My Week 1 "To Do" List
- Wash the outside of all first floor windows.
- Put away porch and patio items no longer needed for fall/winter. In Progress - Leaving a few things out for September.
- Clean and organize the barn for fall/winter. Done
- Trim bushes and trees. In Progress
- Feed pine trees. Done
- Begin fall garden cleanup. Done
- Put away pool. In Progress -- Draining!!
- Decorate porch for fall (purchase mums, etc.).
- Tidy freezer to make room for freezer meals. Throw out anything that is expired or no longer usable.
- Check for birdseed/suet sales and begin stocking up.
- Arrange for seasonal plow service.
- Purchase holiday concert tickets. --> Bumped to Week 2 due to date of pre-sale.
- Make an autumn "bucket list". Done
- Update Christmas card list with new addresses, etc.
- Plan menus for Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving. In Progress -- Thanksgiving menu is done.
- Make a long-term shopping list for Thanksgiving.
--> Add this list to my phone so I'll always have it with me!
- Make a list of recipes to put together for freezer meals. Done

Here are the freezer meals I'm thinking about doing (thanks, Pinterest!):
- Green Chile Chicken
- Italian Chicken
- Shredded Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Chicken
- Sausage and Cheese Tortellini
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders --> 6-8 chicken breasts, Frank's Red Hot Sauce, 1 package Ranch dressing mix: Put in CrockPot on low for 5-6 hours. Shred, remove extra juices, and add additional Frank's sauce to taste. Serve on King's Hawaiian Rolls with ranch dressing.
- Turkey Breast of Wonder
- Ham and White Beans
- Plus, going to cook up a lot of ground beef to have on hand for crockpot chili, to add to spaghetti sauce, etc.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Well... I got tons done while Kiddo did homework. I worked on my planner (still need a few more pages).

During our homework break Kiddo and I washed off the front porch (drowned a few spiders) and then I wiped off the glass. Need hubby to fix porch light but he can do that later. I also hung my porch rug out to air. Can't wait until October to decorate with pumpkins.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
AhorseSoul ~
I'm over on the Houseworks thread but I just emailed you a copy of my FlyLady Zone schedule since I just laid it out for the year. Thought you might like a copy since we discussed it last year. Starts tomorrow. :) Sent it to your Yahoo.

I'd love to have copy too, Love Fly Lady

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have never done an organized plan but I am interested in following one and see if it works for us here. It will be much the same but we are getting ready for Summer not Winter.

Cheerychick, That is quite the list.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I read your blog what a wonderful little Blog, the stories are so sweet I love it!

Thanks! I haven't written anything for years....seems once the kids learned to crawl my time was much more limited. I hope to get back to it one day :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Got a good start on the front porch today!

Created a workable plan for DH to build a closet on our existing porch - as we really need the storage space for everyday bags and shoes/coats. He was worried as it will impact the exterior style, but we agreed it is a small loss compared to the gain. Plus, I am training a couple climbers to cover this 'new windowless space' - so it will be a great backdrop for the hydrangea.

Made a hard decision to empty all my unfinished projects from the house - mostly (broken) furniture that I thought I would upcycle. I am very focused this plan to downsize my 'stuff' as we work through each area of the HGP.

My binder is in great shape, printed off this years calendars and ready!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
So excited! Bouncing back and forth between HGP and HHP, so doing some from each-we replaced a sliding glass door and replaced deck floor on what we use as our "front porch" and the guy literally finished up Sat-whew just in time-LOL...so will be working on cleaning that up and thinking about fall decorating-its a little early here for mums and such, but the summer flowers are mostly kaput...
CC-wonderful list! Reminded me of somethings I need on my own!
Here we go!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have been working in my Planner, printing out the calendars and such.

I will put the front porch aside for now. We are going to be getting a new bay window so they will be replacing the 8 1/2' wide by 6' tall one and building it out alittle. I need to clean the 2 light globes out there that is in the ceiling and repaint the metal. We will get a new storm door and paint the interior door. The window should be in by the end of September-middle of October. I will start in another area! Hate to be off on the first week!!!!

CC that is a good list. Seems you are hitting it straight on!

I also like to hear of everybodys plans as a group. I think I will do the sewing room to replace the front porch. I have been moving the big items around in there but a few things need done in there. I have sorted and pitched, donated and gave stuff away so it is in good shape that way.

Wash the blind

Wash the curtains

Wash the window on the inside

Repaint a few places on the wall where the door handle hit, and where a few things were hung

Clean the shelves off and dust them

Paint the little chest thingy I brought

Turn the door lock around so Teigan can't lock herself in. (then put the key in there so she can't lock me in! lol)

This will be my first week!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Completed my porch cleanup tasks yesterday - :)

[X] Sweep down cobwebs
[X] Clean outside of windows
[X] Clean screens
[X] Clean porch lights
[X] Clean front of door, polish, clean inside door frame, etc.
[X] Sweep porch and steps, vacuum rug
[X] Put up fall wreath
[X] Clean up front flower beds (deadhead, etc.)

Here is a link to a picture of the front door with newly crafted Fall wreath in place!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/20411032603/in/dateposted-public/

As for Holiday Prep tasks:

[/] Gifts to Give (In Progress)
[X] Christmas Card List printed/updated
[X] Parties to host Planning Documents
[X] Menus for all holidays, parties, etc.
[X] 2015 Baking List, including food gifts
[X] Make Ahead Meals 2015.xls
[X] Long Term Shopping List divided into Non-Perishable and Perishable

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks, CheeryChick! :)

Loved your post listing all the freezer recipes you are going to try! They all look good to me!

I was actually wondering if it would be good to start a thread dedicated to planning freezer cooking now through the holidays. Maybe in Holiday Cooking forum?

We could all share tips, tricks, links to recipes we are trying or have tried, report back on how well things did, etc.

What do guys think?