HGP Week one 9/28 List and Porch week.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Hi ladies. I thought I was start a seperate thread for the week. But please feel free to start any following weeks as they come if you want.
Here is the link to the main page for the plan http://christmas.organizedhome.com/holiday-grand-plan as well as this week's goals http://christmas.organizedhome.com/h...plan/list-week

Our deep cleaning/organizing area is the front porch area. Take things off, sweep, note what needs to be repaired...

Holiday Prep: make a Chriatmas notebook if you don't have one and make/printo out list for thigns likes:christmas cards, baking, gifts, stocking stuffers....

Here are the 3 plans' goals for this week.
Holiday Grand Plan-List week here is the thread for this week- http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/showthread.php?p=181550#post181550
Cleaning Grand Plan-front porch
Housework HOliday Plan- Planning and Paperwork (clean out your paper area)

Last edited:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I worked on setting up my notebook yesterday. It's in a tab in my Christmas notebook for now. I printed out one calendar and then wrote ot the plans for the other two plans on it so it's all tog. in one place. Then I am just using notebook paper to make a to do list for the week.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
My notebook is all done, I made a small for my purse today. I put pictures up on my blog of it today.

My other one is digital and that has been updated. I'm ready to go. ~ Farmerswife

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I need to put them on something in my purse/phone

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Put together a simple notebook - put tabs on the dividers and laminated for durability.
Have cleaned off side kitchen porch and started window work.
Working on cleaning out the front enclosed porch - it is really a mess! Before I can start the paint and window work here.

EDIT to add:

Thanks PirateMama for starting the new thread!!

Last edited:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
farmersWife-the mini notebook is so cute. great job.

HouseElf-sure thing.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have to get my notebook properly organised (it's mostly there, but a bit scattered).

I had planned on cleaning outdoors but the weather wasn't good for that. DH painted most of our bedroom though, and HE did a deep clean before he put the room back together (yay DH!!). There's one wall (a different colour) and the woodwork to freshen up yet, and then that's the room done!

I need to finish my list, and get cracking on doing the rest of it, for the rest of the week. Including the major "stocking up" shop.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Farmeswife your notebook is beautiful.

We don't have a porch and it is a little early for us to put the patio stuff away.. will be done after our Thanksgiving (beginning of October), because we have visitors that weekend and afterwards is the long winter stretch. So I will focus on continuing decluttering.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
YAY!! Thank you for the new thread, PirateMama!!

I'm combining both the HGP and HHP, so I'll be posting in both threads.

For the HGP side this week, my notebook is ok. Decluttered all last years notes and ready to start new. I'm currently working on my menus and shopping lists (perishables, non perishables and non food items seperately). The shopping lists are living in my handbag.

Gift and card lists are sorted, although I'm not sure what I will be buying everyone. I have the budget for each gift done anyway.

I don't have a front porch, so I'll be tidying up the front yard a bit. Mainly weeding, and getting rid of cobwebs etc. I will also need to write a list of things which need fixing up - such as the porch light.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Farmers wife - that notebook is absolutely beautiful. I think you should sell them!

Well, I'd like to thank my DH for kicking off the HGP without even knowing it. On Saturday, he pressure washed the front and back porch and the windows. Not that I was going to pressure wash, I was just going to sweep...but now I don't have to do that. I have some weeds to gather and lights to clean, but that's it for the outside. I do have to figure out how to hang a wreath on our new front door. The door has an arched shape and is too tall for one of those over the door hanger. Looks like I'll have to go with a suction type things.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
started working on porch windows - removing years of paint (will put pictures up on blog tomorrow morning). Need to work on cleaning out front porch tomorrow after work, to prepare it for painting. Just realized new curtains will be in order - so I need to drag out my sewing machine - and try to think what to make, with what I have :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
rebecca have you considered those comand strips? I used them for wreaths on the upstairs windows.

HouseElf-good job on the porch

DH is going to be scraping and painting the porch later this fall so I will do a little out there but not too much. There is some general lawn work I can do.

I emptied out all the shoe boxes (we have 3) around the house and tossed a bunch of worn out, old and some how some of mine got moldy. (They are in a basket by the air duct so possibly from condensation) so into the trash they went so that was good.

angel-love

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Our porch isn't very big. Basically I have to put some flower pots away that I didn't use this year. I need to hose both the porch and the front of the house off. In the next couple of weeks I'll pick up some mums to plant. This weekend I'll put up my fall wreath and flag, and set up my scarecrows. DH and I will work on yard work this week/weekend depending on weather and if DH is umpiring. I would also like to get all of the windows cleaned. We have a couple of screens that need to be repaired. I'll have to call around and see who does that and what the cost will be. I did get the coat closet cleaned out and have a box for the Goodwill. I am so excited about that. Overall, I feel pretty good about what needs to be done. With the 3 day weekend that will be a bonus!! It sounds like everyone is making great progress!

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Glad to hear every one is making some progress, it's a great motivator to read all that everyone has accomplished.

I don't have a porch, so that's easy. :) But my windows do need a good washing. And since we had just moved here this last winter my gardens are mostly annuals, I will slowly be turning them over to perennial, but for now that means replacing them with mums.

All my window boxes will have to be redone, so I will need mums, find a source for bittersweet and some flowering kale/or cabbage to have them ready for the fall.

Thanks for all the kind words about my notebook. :)

Keep up the good work Ladies. I'm really looking forward to sharing this juourney with you all. ~ Farmerswife

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I did up all my lists for the HGP this morning - the weekly tasks. I have made good progress on this week's tasks, including getting stuck into my pile of "crafts resources" on the sitting room bookcase. They're now sorted into category, the first 2 inches are in plastic pouches, and I have to buy 2 more ring binders (one for sewing, one for general crafts), so they'll then be organised away from DH's view (and grumbles).

I have also carved out a 20 minute period for almost every evening that I can sew on the machine. The 20 minutes while DD is reading in bed. So it doesn't disturb her as she's not yet going to sleep, and I am not worrying about wasing up or other cleaning at that time either.

But I also have to factor in going to visit my gran every weekend as she is starting to get less independent in certain aspects. She's still living alone and able to in some ways, but needs more supervision and someone making sure she takes her tablets. So I will have to take one day every weekend (mostly Saturdays, but sometimes Sunday). I think I'll bring my cross-stitch some weeks to work as we chat. And I've already got a few other excuses lined up - there's a fish supermarket near her that I want to use more, trips to IKEA that I need to make (I can hear Pam cheering from here!), and visiting my Grandad's grave near her house (my other Grandad, Gran's husband (Mum's dad) is buried very close to my home but Dad's dad, who lived very close to me, is buried near her, alongside their little boy who died in infancy).

Better get back to the work pile though, so I can get home on time to action today's plans.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Piratemama of 3 boys - I hadn't even thought of the command hooks. THANKS!!! You're a lifesaver.
Your welcome hope it works. I had a box of wreaths for my windows for years and never used them b/c I have old windows and full length screens and mom suggested we use those, they worked great,

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My notebook is all done, I made a small for my purse today. I put pictures up on my blog of it today.

My other one is digital and that has been updated. I'm ready to go. ~ Farmerswife

Laurie- your new notebook is awesome! I love it! I keep a small NB in my purse as well, but it is just from current catalog...it has snowflakes on one side of the cover and a calendar on the other...nothing fancy, but like you, I need to have the paper lists sometimes!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I haven't had any time to work on this because of the youth revival, but we don't have a porch so nothing lost there. I am going to work on lists though on Thursday night. My notebook is pretty much ready because I have done a little here and there as I had time.

Laurie, I did one of the purse notebooks the year Gustav came through and we were housebound a few days. I need to get it out and update my calendars so I can use it again. Yours is great!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Now that my list is organised, time to post it. Some more cleaning got done last night (sorting a LOT of the outdoors sweeping etc - although I didn't do the windows yet). But I didn't get any crafting done as DD suddenly had a massive tantrum on the way to bed (overtired, but thought someone had eaten "her" croissant too), so I couldn't do anything except sit in silence outside her door for the "reading time", and then eat dinner after that in a state of exhaustion.

[x] Paint master bedroom ceiling, main walls
[x] Deep clean master bedroom
[x] Brush driveway, front porch
[x] Clean postbox
[] Polish doorbell, door brasses
[x] Brush back patio
[x] Empty pot of carrots to eat
[x] Clear away old pots from summer growing
[x] Continue to water veggie crops
[] Clean out gutters
[] Wash outside of windows downstairs
[x] Check drinks needs
[x] Check storecupboard needs
[x] Write list for big bulk shop on Thursday
[] Do bulk shop - postponed now until Friday week as DH is travelling on Thursday not Sunday, so we'll go together when he's home instead
[x] Start sorting sitting room paperwork (crafts patterns, recipes etc)
[] Buy 2 new ring binders for sewing patterns, other crafts resources
[x] Arrange DD creche days for this week, confirm termtime arrangements
[-] Consider extra-curricular activities in creche - started, and definitely decided one and against one, need to decide between final 2
[x] Finalise school needs
[] Make dental appointments
[] Get house insurance quotes
[x] Help organise DH for overseas trip
[xx] Use up freezer foods

[] Work on cross stitch decorations
[] Knit Gran's lap blanket
[-] Sew blue tote - got as far as pinning it together
[x] Write master crafts list
[] Write cards list
[x] Check budget/gifts list
[] Start limoncello (needs cheap vodka from bulk shop)
[] Check gift closet
[] Get IKEA unit to hold DD's craft boxes downstairs, lamp for DD's bed, kitchen timer
[] Visit Gran - Saturday
[] Visit Mammam (other Gran) - Sunday

Progress is being made, and I should get most of this list cleared by the end of the week. (I really am trying to be realistic this year about time available).