HGP Week one 9/28 List and Porch week.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Progress is being made, and I should get most of this list cleared by the end of the week. (I really am trying to be realistic this year about time available).

Wings- you are making great progress! Don't forget to schedule in some downtime! Thank you for sharing your list.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Wings- What a commitment to visit your Gram every weekend.

I admire you! Immensly!

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Since my car is parked by my porch (and there is no week for that) I cleaned my car today. It was nasty, kids will do that.... I was ruthless about tossing stuff and washed out the 2 bags for the car. much better now!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi! Today (8/31) is a "me day". This particular "me day" is about rest and relaxation! And reading some Christmassy things.... including this wonderful thread! It IS exciting to read about the plans.... and even the accomplishments (already!)!!!!

In fact... it was so nice to read this thread... that I'm going to read lots more Christmassy threads and websites and blogs!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I finished the porch and the back deck the other day. But, I decided the rocking chair I painted needs a second coat, so painting it is the plan for this evening. I love to decorate the front porch for fall and my scarecrow will look SO much better sitting in a freshly painted rocker this year!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm having trouble getting the organized home site to come up.

Is anyone else having difficulty?

Annie

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I'm having trouble getting the organized home site to come up.

Is anyone else having difficulty?

Annie

Yes, it says that it is closed for maintenance. ~ Farmerwife

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Windows are done!

Well, I don't follow much of the cleaning part of the Grand Plan, because I do do Fly Lady, but I did take this opportunity to wash my windows, I was able to get the front and side windows inside and out done in 30 minutes today, and they look great. Amazing, I used that Windex all in one. The one that comes with a pad on a pole. Awesome is all I can say. :)

Today is another busy day at work, but I should have sometime in the afternoon to work on Christmas. Have a great day everyone. ~ Farmerswife

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
I've been so caught up in the kids adjustment to school that I haven't done much for HGP. So, yesterday I tried to empty the light (ceiling fan combo) on the back patio. I can't believe how many dead bugs are in there just from June. But, I couldn't figure out how to loosen the light. So, I asked DH last night. But I did go out yesterday and clean the bird poop off my very shiny black mailbox. The kids laughed at me..Oh well, I think it looks better every time I pull in the driveway!

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I only have a small stoop, not really a porch, so there's not much to do. But my front flower bed is terribly overgrown and I've got two dead juniper bushes - a bad winter and late frost - so I have to dig them up...but I haven't gotten the energy surge yet...the summer here in Ohio was either stormy or soooo hot and humid, and I'm not worth much in the heat, I'm afraid. So things got out of hand. Next week it's supposed to get cooler, so maybe I'll get going then!
But...I've started listening to Christmas music, and I watched my Andy Williams Christmas special on dvd last week, so I'm getting there.
You all seem to accomplish soooo much, maybe it'll rub off on me!
I need to deep clean this year. Really.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Hi Horsemama,

Great to meet you. I use to live in Ohio and it does get hot there in the summer, which makes it harder to think about fall cleanup and Christmas Baking etc. So.... don't get discouraged climate does make a difference. We are now back in NH where the summer ends rather quick. :)

I've been doing one plan or another for years and if there is one thing I've learned, more than likely you''ll never get it all done, and the other thing I've learned is to definitely make it your own plan. All of us are different stands to reason we all won't be able or even want to clean and prepare the same way.

All that to say glad you joined us and enjoy your time of preparation!

~Farmerswife

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
x] Paint master bedroom ceiling, main walls
[x] Deep clean master bedroom
[x] Brush driveway, front porch
[x] Clean postbox
[] Polish doorbell, door brasses
[x] Brush back patio
[x] Empty pot of carrots to eat
[x] Clear away old pots from summer growing
[x] Continue to water veggie crops
[] Clean out gutters
[] Wash outside of windows downstairs
[x] Check drinks needs
[x] Check storecupboard needs
[x] Write list for big bulk shop on Thursday
[] Do bulk shop - postponed now until Friday week as DH is travelling on Thursday not Sunday, so we'll go together when he's home instead
[xx] Start sorting sitting room paperwork (crafts patterns, recipes etc)
[x] Buy 2 new ring binders for sewing patterns, other crafts resources
[x] Arrange DD creche days for this week, confirm termtime arrangements
[-] Consider extra-curricular activities in creche - started, and definitely decided one and against one, need to decide between final 2
[x] Finalise school needs
[] Make dental appointments
[] Get house insurance quotes
[x] Help organise DH for overseas trip
[xx] Use up freezer foods

[x] Work on cross stitch decorations
[] Knit Gran's lap blanket
[-] Sew blue tote - got as far as pinning it together
[x] Write master crafts list
[] Write cards list
[x] Check budget/gifts list
[] Start limoncello (needs cheap vodka from bulk shop)
[] Check gift closet
[] Get IKEA unit to hold DD's craft boxes downstairs, lamp for DD's bed, kitchen timer
[] Visit Gran - Saturday
[] Visit Mammam (other Gran) - Sunday

I also managed to get 3 presents bought today unexpectedly, and I did some cutting out while I was organising the craft room the other night, so I have a bundle of fabrics to put into the attic to store (won't use them before Christmas - more longer term projects) and another 3 smaller projects cut out and in ziploc bags ready to work on.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi: I went outside, to begin my Week 1 Work. Parents were walking their children to school. I saw a good friend, walking her two little daughters, so I hopped out to join them on the walk. At the school, I saw another good friend.... and walked back to my home with her. As we stood outside talking, one of the four young men who have just rented the house on the corner.. walked by. I said Hi... we all introduced ourselves... and he told us about his job (and the graduate school program he is finishing up at night.) We chatted for quite a while... very pleasant! Then... I came back inside. Amount of actual work done: twenty seconds. Amount of fun had: Priceless!

At this rate.... it is a VERY good thing that I have decided to require only ONE HOUR per week.... of actual work on the HGP!!!! (Anything more is gravy!)

Now.... refreshed... I am heading back out to work outside again. How long do you think it will be... before I come inside to cook breakfast for the VERY charming, funny, and chubbily adorable man that I have trapped inside my house? NO.... NOT the new neighbor!!! Silly!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
You guys are doing so great!!! :)

I am finally able to even check in with everyone this week! Sunday night DS came down with a nasty virus - up all night screaming 2 nights in a row - then DH and I got caught it too - its a highly contagious virus going around the daycare right now. UGH! :(

I've missed alot of work and have not had much time for anything but survival!

I did however get the front porch swept off on Sunday before the "storm" hit!

THe new fall wreath I made on Saturday did not fit between the front door and the storm door - RATS! So when I have my energy back I will see about redoing the wreath so it is less bulky and will fit. {sigh} Must make a note of those measurements to avoid this mistake again!!!

My front flower beds desperately need a clean up but I don't know if it will happen anytime soon - we do have a long weekend coming up so you never know!

Hopefully next week will be a much better week for our household!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Got outside to water plants getting carried away with the porches. I have small front and side porches. I took the hose to the sides of the house and the eaves even. Washed the windows and the doors. Even took the screen off the patio door and washed it using a toothbrush. lol Washed the rug at the front door. Even hosed down the plants and their pots and dumped some pots that were done flowering. Took about 30 minutes total time. I'm done. And all I was going to do was sweep the front porch. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Off to green house tomorrow, and dragging out my sewing machine to work on curtains for the enclosed porch.
DH worked today on the side porch door - but we have not found a new door yet. If we need to order 'new' then it will not be here till end of the month. :(
Hoping to start the first sanding on windows this weekend - things always go slower then planned!

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I haven't been able to post lately because we were hit by Irene. I had a head start on the porch area since we had to secure and store things away! We were very fortunate and was spared any real damage because I live very high on a ridge. Part of my town was evacuated and we had friends staying with us for a few days. The water receded and their home was also spared. But a lot of the town was underwater. I was lucky and didn't lose power, but did lose cable and internet. My water was turned off for a few days so some of the cleaning had to be put on hold. It's on right now but I have to boil it for drinking. Believe it or not, with all the wind and water I still need to hose down the siding and patio!! lol. I don't have a power washer, but did buy an attachment for the garden hose which is suppose to make it more powerful. I also need to replace the large flower pots with mums. DH said he would paint the front door, but that will have to be a little later in the fall. Everyone is doing a great job! It's inspiring!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Good morning everyone.

Happy to say that my lists are nearly complete. Unfortunately I have not started on my balcony (porch) portion of the HGP for week one. Irene came through last weekend so it had to be put on hold for this weekend.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Well, I managed to get a fwe more tasks ticked off the list, and those that I didn't, can wait until the New Year mostly or have other points where they'll be done.

[x] Paint master bedroom ceiling, main walls
[x] Deep clean master bedroom
[x] Brush driveway, front porch
[x] Clean postbox
[] Polish doorbell, door brasses
[x] Brush back patio
[x] Empty pot of carrots to eat
[x] Clear away old pots from summer growing
[x] Continue to water veggie crops
[x] Clean out gutters
[] Wash outside of windows downstairs
[x] Check drinks needs
[x] Check storecupboard needs
[x] Write list for big bulk shop on Thursday
[] Do bulk shop - postponed now until Friday week as DH is travelling on Thursday not Sunday, so we'll go together when he's home instead
[xx] Start sorting sitting room paperwork (crafts patterns, recipes etc)
[x] Buy 2 new ring binders for sewing patterns, other crafts resources
[x] Arrange DD creche days for this week, confirm termtime arrangements
[-] Consider extra-curricular activities in creche - started, and definitely decided one and against one, need to decide between final 2
[x] Finalise school needs
[] Make dental appointments
[] Get house insurance quotes
[x] Help organise DH for overseas trip
[xx] Use up freezer foods

[x] Work on cross stitch decorations
[] Knit Gran's lap blanket
[x] Sew blue tote - got as far as pinning it together - only 1 final seam to do but will finish tonight and could get away with giving as it is this morning.
[x] Write master crafts list
[] Write cards list
[x] Check budget/gifts list
[] Start limoncello (needs cheap vodka from bulk shop)
[] Check gift closet
[x] Get IKEA unit to hold DD's craft boxes downstairs, lamp for DD's bed, kitchen timer
[x] Visit Gran - Saturday
[x] Visit Mammam (other Gran) - Sunday

Lots done, so happy with progress. I also managed to clean out and put away all my clothes from the hot press, and do the first seasonal change of my clothes and some checking of sizes on DD's clothes too. Height of summer is now put away in the guest room, and longer sleeved tops are within easy reach, with the sleeveless vest tops left at the back as extra winter layers. I was very surprised with my accomplishments this weekend!!

Last edited: