Hhp-week 3-master bedroom-closets-card list-gift closet

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Great job Tanya!

Now, did you decide how you are going to maintain this space every day, week, month to keep it looking just as beautiful as you see it now? For example:
Daily, make bed
Weekly, wash linens, dust, sweep/vacuum/mop
Monthly-Clean electronics, wash bed cover, declutter drawers/closets

This needs to be put in your household planner or it will get overlooked and in no time your hard work and beautiful master bedroom has disappeared. I'm trying to do this with each room I tackle. Decide what is needed and how often to keep it this way and schedule it in my planner.

So how is everyone else doing?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I finally got my Fall decorations put up!!

Normally, I would have them up on September 1st, but just wasn't feeling like it this year. It is probably because of the heat wave we are having - sure doesn't feel like Fall.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Way to go Mel! Mine are still sitting in a box in the middle of the family room. I was hoping they'd jump out and arrange themselves but that hasn't happened yet.

Just got my dresser cleaned out and I have a box to be donated larger than the amount I'm keeping so that's a good thing.

You know, sometimes it's the littlest things that make the greatest impact. I decided to go ahead and get started on my jam packed closet. I first went through my clothes and tossed what I didn't love into a give away pile. I was even able to get DH to go through his hanging clothes. A few things went into the mending pile and a few others into the trash pile. All summer items went into the store room and only fall and winter items remain in the closet. So, now that I could see what I had to work with, this got much easier. I grouped as many outfits together as I could given the number of pants I had. Of course I had more shirts but that's okay because they will be rotated in as each pair of pants becomes available. Okay, so with everything decluttered and outfits together something was still wrong and really messy looking.

It was the mismatched oddball shaped and colors of hangers that really kept the whole thing looking messy. I ran to Wal Mart and Better Home and Gardens had these wonderful velvet lined suit hangers in boxes of 30. I bought two boxes of the beige velvet hangers and came home to begin the process of switching everything over to the new hangers. They hold pants so much better, especially DH's which are rather heavy. All of my silky soft shirts no longer slide off the hangers so that's an added bonus. The best part is that my closet looks amazing and these hangers are thin so the bulk is gone and things fit so much better.

That is my great success story of the day.

I still have to clean out the drawers in my platform bed so hopefully the give pile will continue to grow. I also have over 100 plastic hangers to bring to the women's shelter tomorrow.

Last edited:

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Working through week three, one item at a time. Seems like I use to multi task much better. :)
I am happy with my progress though. Bedroom has been switch over to fall, winter design as well as cleaned. Just have to switch my clothes over and design my christmas card and week three is history.

I have always combined HGP with HHP, and I planned to do that this year but for some reason during week one I never made it to the HGP list but accomplished HHP list, so I am just sticking with the one list and I'm loving it seems that I'm actually getting things done.

So, I'll be joining all of you in this journey.
~Farmerswife

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Welcome, farmerswife!!

Sounds like you are off to a great start!!

Keep up the good work!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Awesome, Farmerswife! Another one for our little group! All the more motivating! Just for that, and for seeing all the posts on everything you are all getting done, I marched back up to the attic (being fast enough to be back here before the computer logged me out), dug out the wrapping paper box to check my supply (it's fine- I have gobs). While I was up there I dragged out the Fall Decor boxes as well. The kids will be SO excited when they see them. They LOVE Fall. It means crackling fires and smell of cinnamon and apples simmering on the wood stove. *swoon*

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Laurie, we are so glad to have you in our HHP group this year. You are doing a terrific job and I'm so glad you are loving life while doing it.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
It's great to see everyone so busy with HHP, new and familiar faces inspire me to do my best!

Throughout this week, I've gotten the bedroom and closet completed (except for DH part of the closet). Yay for me!

Christmas prep? Not so much. Card list is updated, we will get a picture for the card when we see college DD over fall break. I know I have plenty of wrapping paper, just can't remember what it looks like, lol. I know I need more ribbon, must look at paper to decide what colors. Perhaps I'll drag that out tonight.

Oh, to keep the bedroom the way it is... I must take Ellen's advice and put routines into practice.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I got everything done this week.

I just finished making my daughter's birthday card and my Christmas card list is up to date.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Oh hallelujah. Am finished. All I have to do now is 5 cards. Wooooooo hoooooo
(Patting everyone on back for job well done...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Everyone seems to be doing something good.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
... jam packed closet. .....Okay, so with everything decluttered and outfits together something was still wrong and really messy looking.

It was the mismatched oddball shaped and colors of hangers that really kept the whole thing looking messy. I ran to Wal Mart and Better Home and Gardens had these wonderful velvet lined suit hangers in boxes of 30. ..... The best part is that my closet looks amazing and these hangers are thin so the bulk is gone and things fit so much better.

Re-reading your post. High five! Hangers make a difference, don't they? I went on that mission a few years back to replace all my wire hangers in the house with wood hangers. Ikea carried them so I'd buy a pack or two every time I went (not often) and got the job done over a year or two. Man it looks better! I have since seen those velvet hangers you purchased and am eyeing those for items that keep slipping off the wood ones. So nice to have it all match! Am thinking of trying that trick of hanging them up backward so that in a year I can tell what items I have worn and what I haven't (so I can declutter them next Fall). But if I'm truly honest with myself, I could probably, uhm, figure that out right now.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Followup on Week 3:

Week 3 – Me and Mine Week – The Master Bedrm (Week of 9/15/2014)

Deep Clean & Purge Master Bedroom -- DONE.
Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. --- DONE.
Update Christmas card list. -- MOSTLY DONE. (IN PROCESS.)
Print address labels (Return only) for Christmas cards (IN PROCESS)
Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters (IN PROCESS)
Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. DONE.
Set up a gift closet; inventory any previously-purchased gifts. DONE.

Very productive week. Doing lots of stuff on the computer this week and will wrap up on those return address labels. They are all set and ready to go.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Updated 9/22
Master Bedroom - My problem is the book clutter. I have lots of books that get piled up in a "to be read pile" or "to put away pile." It just looks messy. I also want to wash the curtains and do a thorough cleaning. Done

Holiday Prep - Check and update the address book. Done
Inventory Christmas Cards Done
Inventory wrapping supplies - Done