Holiday Grand Plan 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am currently working on clearing out odds and sods from the freezer, as I haven't restocked it properly in a while. But it needs space made to restock properly.

One of the things we like a lot is curries of various sorts. But doing them from scratch always takes a while, because you start by finely mincing a couple of large onions, a load of garlic and ginger, and then slowly frying them for about 20 minutes before doing anything else. For pretty much all the curries I make. So I am considering doing a reasonably large batch of that onion "base" and freezing it in 2 person portions, to be able to make curries fairly quickly midweek.

I tend to buy whole chicken breasts, sometimes individually wrapped but often they're in 4 or 6 packs. So I use what I need and freeze the spare - and it's very handy to have a few frozen whole but also a few frozen already diced, in both 1 and 2 person portions. And the same with pork chops. It means I can just defrost package during the day, and throw straight into pan when I get home, saves a few minutes at that frazzled time.

I also do a cheesy leek pasta dish, which needs 1 leek for 1 person (I usually do it when DH is away and nights DD wants something I really don't). But I try to do a few leeks together, as it takes the same time to cook (about 20 minutes - slowly sauté with a little stock and some butter). Then I freeze the leftovers in 1 person portions, so other nights I want that dinner, I just cook fresh pasta in 3 minutes and the leeks defrost that fast while I grate a handful of cheese. And occasionally, I can take out 2 tubs to use them as a veg with a steak when DH is at home.

This week, I am mostly working on decluttering. But I am also writing my lists. And I have already ticked off a few HGP tasks off the lists already!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I just remembered we're getting a quarter cow in the fall and will be buying a small freezer. It won't be on site at my house thought, but will be at my in laws farm and accessible when needed. That will give me a stock up of meat and that's not something I'm use too. Should help around the holidays as well.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've been trying to get a small jumpstart on Week 1 by reviewing recipes that could be made/frozen ahead. I've got a spreadsheet put together with a healthy selection of meals or meal components - that I know would work for us.

Now I just need to break the recipes down by ingredients and figure out my shopping lists - and time the shopping just right so that I'm stocking the freezer close enough to the holidays - and keeping our budget in mind as well!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I think I'm going to try the HHP this year instead. Just thinking about it..and might want to try it out. I do follow the HGP basically during the spring/summer. Or at least try. I make up my own thought, but follow the same premise. I just want to include more holiday prep in, so I think I'm going to hop on over there. Good luck everyone..I'm sure I'll be checking in though.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Winged One, I like the idea of having the chicken breast already diced. Seems to make sense. We are coming into our spring/summer here which i find the hardest time to cook, way too hot. I think I will try some of these ideas to see how they work for our family. Also time here to reorganise the freezer.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Sweet Pumpkin Pie, I find in summer it can be handy as I can take out a bag to defrost and just throw in some garlic, herbs, lemon juice and olive oil into the bag, smush it up (highly technical term!!) and leave in the fridge for another while - to then throw on skewers for the BBQ!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I made a start on Friday with the study and the guest/au pair bedroom. I finished both today (yesterday turned into a social visits day!). Fully and properly deep cleaned both, and sorted the wardrobe (my off season, special occasion, and not currently fitting, clothes) and the study desk.

I am happy with that, and it is a bonus room almost. I brought 3 crates to the storage, and will have another 1 at least, maybe 2, during the week. There are 3 bags for goodwill in the car, after I dropped 4 on Friday and made 2 drops to the clothes bank too. The recycling bin is almost full already, it was only emptied on Thursday and we normally only just fill it in the 2 weeks between collections. And the main bin will have to go out too this week, I put an extra 2 sacks in their from my efforts.

I will spend some time this week, subject to weather, working on the garden (I have pulled a few dead plants but not. Really tackled it yet). But with the au pair arriving on Friday, I probably won't get much done then or over the weekend. And school is back the following Monday.

Meanwhile, I have a few things ordered for delivery this week, so the planning and prepping part is started too.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've been spending quite a bit of time prepping my Master Grocery List, divided by

- Non Perishable/Can Be Frozen
- Long Term Shelf Life in Fridge (Cream Cheese, Yeast, etc.)
- Perishable

I've taken into account all of the recipes I plan to make (currently) for Thanksgiving through New Year's

+ Holiday Baking

+ Freezer Meal Sessions

I've ended up with quite the list! Which is definitely a big incentive to start buying things NOW!

Some things, like butter, are going to start going on sale as we truly get into the fall months - and I can freeze that - so I'll be watching the sales!

:santa3:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
AJ, you've been busy! An inspiration for all of us to follow your lead!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I wanted to get a head start but by the time I get done work & fix dinner & wash dishes, I am spent.
(My scrap room is a mess so I figured if I gave myself a head start in that room I wouldn't fall behind.) :)
Looking forward to the board being active again.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well I have printed off all the sheets I will need to start and have added them to my binder. Have rejigged things a little bit to suit me a bit better.
I am so keen to get started......it means that Christmas is on its way!!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Tried to start a new thread for this weeks HGP 2014 - but it will not let me :(

Thinking I will submit a request in help

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
My start to the HGP will have to be delayed.
My ex-husband died on Frieday. I've been watching the grand-kids & my son has flown in from PA (I live in NY).
My focus right now is on them. My heart aches for them.
After the funeral on Thursday things will probably begin to calm down a bit around here.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for letting us know, Lolwlias! This is so sad for your children and grandchildren. Bless you for being so loving and supportive to them! We send you… love and hugs!!!!!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Lolwlias, I am sorry for your and your family's loss. I hope that all goes well for you this week, and in the weeks and months to come, whatever feelings you had about him and whatever feelings you all have now that he has died. It certainly sounds like your focus this week is right. ((Hugs))

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
The day of the funeral is fast approaching & it is going to be so hard for them to say goodbye. I will stay home with the grand-kids as my son does not want them to attend. They are 3, 8 & 10.
Sunday we were all at my son's house. We had a badminton tournament & a Kan-jam tournament. (I have tried real hard to keep them occupied, to keep them talking & sharing their memories & to help them deal with this the best I can.)
Unfortunately, I blew my knee & am now on crutches.
I see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I won't need surgery. The knee brace is driving me nuts!!!