House & Holiday Plan 2104

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hi all. I'd like to join in and follow the HHP with you. Last year was hit or miss and I want this year to be smoother.

Chris

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Hey Chris, glad to have you on board. Now let's get this done!

It appears that our Gulf Coasters (myself included) might be on a short delay depending on what this tropical cyclone developing decides to do over the next 6 days. I sure wish Mother Nature would be so kind as to quit interrupting our HGP and end hurricane season on August 1st instead of November 30th. This sure has put a kink in my plans more than once. :(

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Yippee, glad to have you on board Rebecca! Looking forward to sharing with everyone.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Thanks for adding me to the list. I'm with you- let's get 'er done!

Mary, I like the idea of those kits. I'm gonna give that a try.

Ellen, I hope hurricane season passes you by this year. Ain't nobody got time for that! We drove through LA this year on vacation. I hadn't been there since I was a child and wanted to take the kids to see a little bit of this great country. Keeping their eyes open for alligator kept the kids busy and our 2 yr old loved all the birds. He was pretty concerned about the alligator statue we saw in the Don's seafood in Baton Rouge, though. lol. Louisiana is sure beautiful.

I have a question. Do you guys print off all the lists or just pick and choose? I borrow the categories from the plan but I jot it all in a midsized spiral bound with pockets. I find it easier to take with me on errands. I have a larger zip up notebook with folders for all the stuff I don't need to haul around, like recipes, our Christmas letter, addresses, etc. How do you all do it?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Hi kringle,

I am really glad that you will be joining us this year. I would be lost without this plan.

I have always just used the lists that are relevant to my life. I can't remember ever using all of them. Just use the ones that work for you.

For many years I had everything in a big, red binder. My kids called it my bible. I switched everything over to my computer 2 years ago.

Guess what??

My daughter got a new computer last month and I got her old one. Somehow while transferring all of my files over - my entire Christmas notebook got lost!!

I am starting over from scratch - ARGH!!!!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Awe Mel, I am so sorry that you lost your notebook. Look on the bright side, it's a new beginning with new and fresh ideas. Glad you'll be joining us and glad your back with the forum.

Chris, like most here I only print off the ones that are relevant to my home. Others I may need but have found a form elsewhere that worked best for my situation so I simply substituted it with the one that works best for me.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I just print off the ones I use that are relevant to me and my family.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Here! Hi everyone!

Just logging in after being off since last season. How is everyone?! I've missed this site! We've been traveling most of the summer and i'm going to have to hustle to just get the house in basic order before this plan starts. Just got my suitcase unpacked and the wilted plants watered so that's good!

Holiday Mom - I like the idea of putting the mixes in bags for later cookie baking. I hauled out my recipe book and may try that on some of them. I want to do some GF baking experiments this coming week before school starts to see if I can get a good banana bread.

Happy2bMe - Lost your notebook? Argh! Sorry! My switch to Evernote last year is going okay but I still have my notebook backed up on a USB from last year just in case. Will have to open Evernote and see where I left off on it. This year I will have to figure out how to lock my files since DD has a friend who has been teaching her all about looking up history and such on computers to tell what their parents are getting them. Nice. (Good thing DD likes surprises. I don't think she'll look.)

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Same here, I just print off what I need.

Cindylouwho - just saw your post.

I don't get on the site much except for when the plans roll around.

Did you just make your own forms, or tasks list for Evernote? I have that app, but never thought about putting the entire plan on there.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Cindylouwho,

Nice to see you.

Can you believe it is that time of year again??

Backing up my notebook on a USB - what a briilant idea!! I hate computers. :p:p:p

jyclassy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Hhp

Hello ladies: I haven't been on here since last season either. I would like to join in on this. Just cannot complete the GP. This will work much better for me. Thanks for starting this. Sharon(jy). Love the cookie mix ideas.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Welcome back Sharon and Cindy; This is going to be fun and productive. LOL
I too tried the Evernote but do still have my physical notebook.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I have family coming for Thanksgiving this year too (first time!) and I need to be absolutely done by then. I've already got a good head start, and hopefully I'll be able to do some home improvement stuff we have hanging around before then too.

And since Thanksgiving is so late this year again, Christmas comes awfully fast. I would like to be able to focus just on holiday prep after Thanksgiving and just do the cleaning maintenance. The past two years I've had the house clean by December 1st and it was awesome, except I didn't want to do anything to mess it up, like baking and wrapping gifts, lol!

I plan on doing the baking prep earlier this year too. I don't like to bake too early but if I have cookie dough in the freezer ready to go, that will help on the mess and saving time. I send a lot of cookies and all the packaging and getting boxes takes almost an entire day. Realizing this just now, I need to have a Saturday or Sunday before Christmas just for this.

Last year I mailed stuff a week before Christmas and some stuff didn't get there until after Christmas! Remember how bad the shipping delays were last year? I am going to have to work to get stuff mailed out much earlier.

It's great to have a place to brainstorm and get ideas, and encouragement!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
No matter how little we do, on The Plan….. every little bit really does help!!!!!!! I do outside lights…. and I would love to have them up…. in time for Halloween night. We'll see how that goes!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Welcome Nancy!

I too have been working really hard to get those major things done and out of the way so that I can breeze through the plan. Replacing windows or whole ceilings, sewing drapes and recovering seat cushions, moving rooms and painting rooms is a bit much to take on in the middle of the plan.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
I have a real mess in the "office" area so I've started on it. I don't have a place to use as an office - this house is pretty small. And we've had tons of paperwork this year that I've really got to sort through.

On top of that, I just moved my mom to a new assisted living facility with a much smaller living area and I've got to sort through her things to see what to keep and what to donate and try to make sense of the avalanche of paperwork we've been hit with- she's had a really rough year healthwise, with 7 different surgeries, mrsa, pneumonia and heart failure and all the related insurance, medical and what-have-you. It's probably going to take more than a week to pull together a workable office and system (right now it's spread out between 3 spaces as I could fit things). Definitely not working- it's actually hazardous to get to some things.

I'm really thankful for this plan. It's the kick in the butt I need to get started. And since this is my worst area, it will be so nice to check it off my list!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
kringle,

My goodness, it sounds like you have quite the task ahead of you.

You can do it!!

Keep us posted on your progress.