Ideas/Preparation For Christmas 2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Debbie,

I like the idea of doing 5 cards a month, that way it doesn't seem like a LOT of them and I wont get overwhelmed with it!

What patterns did you use for the afghans you made?

Thanks for the idea

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I would really like to get into making homemade gifts next year. I've always looked at the various gifts people did on here and thought it is so wonderful. I've always been nervous as if my loved ones wouldn't appreciate something homemade, but I think they probably would. I just need to figure out appropriate matching stuff to their personalities. I'd like to do more homemade, but I don't know where to start.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
LOL you should see the one I just finished it's awful my son wanted a purple one which would have been alright but he didn't want any lavender in it so we had to go outside the box a little; not too many colors go with purple, but he likes the colors so that's what he got! I would have taken a picture of it but had to get it wrapped before he got here. He's seen a panel of it but hasn't seen it done.
I'll try to remember to take a picture of it when he opens it.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Belles - do you like to get your Christmas decorations down quickly? So you greet the New Year with a "clean slate", so to speak. DH's family usually put their tree up very close to Christmas Eve -- but they left it up for a while. When the children lived here, I liked the get the tree down fairly soon -- because the house is so small - it seemed even more crowded. I NOW like to leave my tree up for a LONG time. And I leave the outside lights up even longer! The nights are so long and cold in January.

Did you see that there is ANOTHER big winter storm moving across the USA? I don't know if the national airline systems will get caught up from last weekend before this storm starts causing more flights to be cancelled. I think the storm hit Chicago and Indianapolis today. And it is moving east.

Today at the bank, someone said that the East Coast USA is predicted to have rain on Christmas Day and then rain-turning-to-ice on the day after Christmas. The ice building up on wires - and on trees which break and knock down wires -- that is what usually causes our power to go out. Hhhmmmmm...... that is a VERY good reason to have my Rudy Day Tote packed up and ready to go. So -- if I DO have to flee to a hotel -- I can take the tote, with my Christmas Notebook with me. Something to work on in the nice, warm hotel with electricity. (You may notice that I am assuming that the hotels will NOT lose electricity! well -- there will probably be a hotel SOMEWHERE that doesn't lose electricity.)

tanjat67

Retire Member
Jan 11, 2009
South Australia, Australia
I have already started making my christmas card list for next year and what home made gifts that I am going to make ie. bath bombs, bath salts, lip balms - if anyone want any recipes i have a couple of free ebooks with them all in.

I will be posting all of my christmas cards to England on the 25 November from Australia to make sure they get there in time. And post all my other card on the 10th December.

Every month I will try and make my own christmas cards as well as some that I will be selling on my online shop when that is up and running hopefully next year. I have also organise what I wil be making for christmas day in sweets, etc.

This will be the first time for me to keep a christmas notebook and hopefully it won't be too hot on christmas day next year in Australia.

Last edited:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Good idea to have a portable Rudy day tote! (hopefully you won't need it though!)
Can't wait to see everyone's cards!
We take our tree down before New years as our house is small too(driving me crazy right now!)and we always get people in on New years eve. I just try to tweak the existing decorations for then.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I have already started making my christmas card list for next year and what home made gifts that I am going to make ie. bath bombs, bath salts, lip balms - if anyone want any recipes i have a couple of free ebooks with them all in.

I will be posting all of my christmas cards to England on the 25 November from Australia to make sure they get there in time. And post all my other card on the 10th December.

Every month I will try and make my own christmas cards as well as some that I will be selling on my online shop when that is up and running hopefully next year. I have also organise what I wil be making for christmas day in sweets, etc.

This will be the first time for me to keep a christmas notebook and hopefully it won't be too hot on christmas day next year in Australia.

Tanjat,

I'd love a cope of your ebooks, I think the nieces would love that type of present.
sending you a pm with email address :)

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Well, as I mentioned in the daily thread for today (Christmas Day), I will be putting lights outside next year. We have candles out this year and they are quite lovely when all lit, but last night, Christmas Eve, it was pouring rain and we couldn't even light the candles. So next year...twinkle lights all over the house!!

scn

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Northeast PA
I want to start on my xmas cards earlier this year Maybe do a couple each month put them away in a box then when its time to address just pull out the box Saw a blog that had challenges all year long for xmas cards Will have to find it again

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I want to start on my xmas cards earlier this year Maybe do a couple each month put them away in a box then when its time to address just pull out the box Saw a blog that had challenges all year long for xmas cards Will have to find it again

Oh if you find it again, let us know :)

jyclassy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tanja: I would really appreciate receiving your rcipes for lip balm and etc. I will pm you my email addy. Thank you. jy

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Also, having an on-going shopping list for groceries and staples helps. That way you can pick up a few things everytime you go to the store all summer and fall long. Then, by Christmas time, you're set!

I like this idea ... what are some of your staples? I'm thinking vanilla and spices for baking and canned cranberry sauce and horseradish for ham .... etc.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
In October, I start my freezer meals. This is a MUST HAVE for me in December and has a been a necessary staple since I started it 2 years ago. Having meals and frozen veges put aside in the freezer makes my life so much easier when things get crazy!

Great idea!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I've always liked the idea of making a few cards each month. This year my honey and I made ours together, and last night I was telling him about Rudolph Day. He would rather start earlier (like I usually do) and do them all at once. That's fine with me...this morning while on FaceBook and seeing that I have a few friends with birthdays coming up, I got the idea of, on the 25th of each month, I'll make birthday cards for any/all birthdays coming up in the next month. With moving cross country this year, I haven't sent a birthday card out, oh probably since last March! lol I know it's not Christmas, but it will definitely help keeping me more organized and on the ball.

Not sure what else I'll do...I don't have a lot of people to buy for. I have a few very very close friends, from childhood (I'm 48!), and I think I might want to make them scrapbook albums...not sure of what though, we'll see.

Anyway, enough rambling...I love reading everyone's posts...so many great great ideas!!