January Menu Planning Exchange

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I thought it might be fun to start a monthly menu planning exchange thread. Post your menus for January in this thread so others can "steal" your ideas!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Wow, I haven't even started yet on menu plans. I best get busy! Great idea, I LOVE seeing other people's menus!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've so got to get back into doing this, becuase our dinner life has been boring the past few months. I love trying new recipes and doing a premade menu. I think I'll make a menu board for my kitchen too while I'm at it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I saw at Target yesterday that they have dry-erase menu sheets that have magnets on the back so you can put them on your refrigerator. It comes with a dry erase marker too. Pretty neat. They had a whole section with nifty things like that.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I used to do menus by the week...then went to by the month....then week,....then stopped all together....so LOL....

I might get back to it by doing the first half of January...and then later post the second half of the month....We do eat out some so really the menus arent for a full week but still are VERY helpful

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I menu plan two weeks at a time and post it weekly on my blog. You can view this week's plan there.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I could never do a month, but I was good at a week.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I was looking for a monthly menu sheet planner....and found this....

I tried one time in the past to do menu plans by season....a set for spring, fall, winter, summer etc...I think I got two seasons finished before giving up...but this concept still intrigues me and I might just give it another go

This site shows how to do it and even include the recipes and shopping lists in a planner notebook...so IDK if I can get that organized.

You basically do 5 weeks iof menus for each season and then rotate them (you can of course reuse menus and put in favorites more often etc)

I printed the seaosnal planners but find them a little too small for me...so after I go back to work I will enlarge them a bit before starting to work on the winter ones...in the meantime I will use some post it notesd to jot down ones to include in the Winter Menu Plans

http://www.familieswithpurpose.com/family-meal-planner.html

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
The article also reminded me that sometimes menu planning is easier with a "theme day".

So for the WINTER menu plans I will have SOUP SATURDAYS......off to pick out five soup recipes....might be hard...I have a ton of them I LOVE.....so soup may be woven in at some other spots too.....of course SOUP SATURDAYS.....can definately be in Fall and Spring too!!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Hmmm....still pondering this one because I like to try new recipes or different versions of ones....

So maybe one day ....maybe Tuesday will be TRY IT OUT TUESDAY (and that will be the time to try new recipes....rather than write them on the planner I could use a sticky note for that day and change it up as needed (if we don't like it etc) IDK

And for Soup Saturday I could actually put a soup and then list like two or three kinds...for example when I list Chili....I could then star or include recipes for three kinds of chili....so when Chili comes up i pick the one I want to use...IDK....

This is getting complicated...maybe thats why i gave up before....LOL

Patricia

Retire Member
I also have to get back into menu planning. Honestly, I don't know why I can't keep up with doing it, since it's the one thing I can easily do to save lots of money. Pure laziness on my part, I guess.

I told myself no New Year's resolutions this time around, but now I'm thinking mine will be to stick with a menu plan.

Because of all the heavy and rich holiday food, the first week in January might be all vegetarian!!

I LOVE the idea of theme days!! Thanks for that!

**Meatless Mondays**

Mind if I steal the idea of Soup Saturdays?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Steal away....that's what this exchange is all about.....lol

Meatless Mondays....I love that one but i already have Mexican Mondays....we love Mexican food....a lot!

But I would like to do some meatless recipes too....hmmm

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Oh....now THAT I like.... :)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
LOL Ginger and Patricia! I wonder if my kids would be less picky if I gave theme names to each day. I doubt it but it's worth a try. :)

Snowey

Premiere Member
I would love to do a meal plan. I find it hard to do for just 2 people. I always seem to have too many left overs that we end up eating the same things a couple times a week. Any one have any good suggestions how to get out of this rut?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Funny Nancy, dh just suggested I go back to cooking like it is just the two of us because the kids won't eat a lot of what I make. They're deciding all of a sudden that they don't like dishes that they loved before. When I cooked for two, I usually cut recipes in half. I also saved "big" meals for the weekend when I knew we would be home to eat some of it for lunch the next day. The freezer is good too....make a big pot of soup or stew, then freeze half for next week's or month's meal.

Taste of Home has some great cooking for two recipes on their site. You may want to check that out.

I think theme ideas are great. We have Italian on Sundays, pizza on fridays (or eat out), soup and sandwiches most Thursdays since it is dance night.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am still really only cooking for 2 as well - DS is starting to eat regular food, but still eating alot of baby food! :)

I have been planning the next week's menu during the previous week for a while now. Sometimes I'll plan out as far ahead as 2 weeks, just depends.

I keep a running Word doc of the food inventory we have in the house, sorted by freezers, cupboards, pantry, etc.

I plan meals based on what we have in the house to build from and what I may be getting at the store that week (mostly get what is on sale plus a coupon).

I've never been able to do the theme thing very well. My struggle is the limited amount of recipes that DH really likes.

And the fact that several of my test attempts at recipes have resulted in BLEH and take out. LOL

I am getting better at spotting recipes that SHOULD turn out okay - and that DH SHOULD like - but it is still hit or miss!

Add to that the desire to try to eat healthier. Add to that the need to be more budget aware - thus using sales + store coupons + manufacturer's coupons to get the best possible deal.

Add to that the fact that USUALLY alot of the stuff on sale plus a coupon is NOT good for you. It is a definite challenge! :)

Here are some things I have learned that work for me:

- During the week I do something tonight for tomorrow night's meal. I might just bring up the canned goods I'll need from the pantry so they are close at hand. I might put some meat in the fridge to defrost. I might make up a marinade. I might make the whole meal and let it sit in the fridge until the next night - works well for chili, etc. When I post those menu ideas I will include my notes on what I do the day before for those that might be interested.

- Also, I do most of my housework on Friday nights so I try to plan something super easy for that night's meal. I try to make meals from scratch for the most part, but on Friday's we'll often have some sort of premade food - frozen pizza, frozen snack of some kind, etc.

- Finally, I plan to do recipes that take more time or that use a Slow Cooker on a weekend. My slow cooker cooks so hot that I could never leave it on while I am gone during the workday! So weekend use only right now!

But I will look forward to learning from others! Will we provide recipes for our menu items upon request? Via PM or post in the thread?

Whatever is fine with me!

Last edited:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'd propose that when someone wants a recipe we post it in our recipe forums....and then leave a post here saying that we posted it...that saves me from having to move recipes all the time and keeps our recipes together!