Jessica's 2011 Word: Journey

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I really like to put some time and thought into my Word for each year. I want it to be something that reflects the way I feel and what I am seeking. This upcoming year, 2011, will be spent mostly with my DH in Iraq. I recently read the book The Happiness Project and was inspired by her method and story. I am going to start my own Happiness Project based on my life and what I think I need to work on. This will be combined with my Word for the year.

I will break it down by month so I don't get overwhelmed by a huge list of things or traits I want to work on. I'm trying to group them based on the overall theme of each month.

The word Journey will represent the personal, emotional, and physical Journey's I will be taking on during the year. Each month will be a different Journey in my life and a way for me to grow in all aspects. I want to learn to relax and enjoy the moments instead of worrying about what housework needs to be done or what I need to do tomorrow. I want to be present, not always looking forward or back. I want to laugh and smile more and get back to my roots. I'm a country girl at heart and i've let my roots slip away. I want to get back to the ME I know I am. The girl that was always smiling and kind, but still had a fire in her and a passion for things.

I still have alot of work to do ironing out the wrinkles in my plan for the year. I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate things that I feel are important. I do know what I want for January and will be tracking everything here, as well as on my Whimsical Mom blog.

January's Journey: Health and Fitness
** I want to be more healthy and fit, which will also help to boost my energy level so I don't feel so run down and tired all the time.

- Exercise at least 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes a day
- Drink WATER, lots of it!
- Eat more veggies and fruits
- Cut out soda, except an occassional one
- Take a few minutes each day to just be, sit quietly and think about a positive affirmation
- Laugh and smile more

I am planning on starting the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred again. I would also like to try out the new fitness room for mom's that was made at a gym on post. It's free for me to use and they have a play area inside the room where the kids can play while I exercise on a treadmill, elliptical machine or a stationary bike. So there's really NO excuse not to go.

While i'm structuring my menu planning I am going to make sure to be mindful of the foods I plan and be sure to add a veggie or fruit to each meal. That will give us 3 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

This is my start. If it needs adapting then I will adapt it. Nothing is set in stone. I want to see where my monthly Journey's lead as they are flexible, but i'm going to try my best and go in with a positive attitude and that's all I can do.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jessica-

I look forward to following your journey in 2011!

You go girl!

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I love your word Jessica and will be following your thread.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Look forward to following your "journey" Jess...I like your plan for January

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
great job Jessica. Sounds like you have put alot of thought into it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jessica, great job, I will be interested in following your Journey

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thanks ladies! Now I have to start working on my plans for February so that will be ready when the time comes.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've been thinking about my 12 Commandments for 2011. It's harder than it looks to come up with these, for me anyway. The perfectionist in me wants them to be perfect, but that's part of what i'm working on in the next year so here's what I have so far:

1. Be Present
2. Appreciate More
3. Let It Go
4. Lighten Up
5. Move Forward, Stop Looking Back
6. Imperfection IS Perfection

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I wanted to add a little background into why i've chosen what i've chosen so far for my commandments.

1. Be present- I constantly find myself living in the past. I'm always thinking about people or events or places of the past instead of being here in the now and enjoying life. It does no good to dwell on what's been.

2. Appreciate more- While I am grateful for what I have, I don't always appreciate the small things that happen or come along in my life. I want to work on recognizing those special things.

3. Let It Go- This applies to the past, as well as little incidents or problems that arise. I hold grudges forever, or at least a very long time. I want to let it go and move past all of this to free up my mind and lighten my heart.

4. Lighten up- When the kids spill something or do something funny, I want to be able to be light about it, not angry or indifferent. This ties in with the appreciate more and let it go as well.

5. Move forward, stop looking back- I need to focus on the here and now and the future, not what has been in the past. We learn from our mistakes (most of the time) and move on. I have a hard time with the move on part.

6. Imperfection is Perfection- If everyone were perfect life would be boring. Imperfection is what makes all of us unique and everything unique. Therefore, imperfection is perfection.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Jess I'm loving reading about your journey. I might need to borrow some of your 12 commandments if you don't mind. This is 1 of the reasons I LOVE this board 2011 isn't even here yet but we're always giving each other ways to improve the new year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Tricia- I don't mind at all. I think I took some from Gretchen's book myself. If something fits, then use it!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Continuation of my 12 Commandments:

7. Have FUN!
8. Do things NOW, not later
9. Think Positive: Be Positive
10. Get back to ME
11. Love More
12. Learn More

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Reasons why I chose the other half of my Commandments:

Have FUN- I find it hard to let myself go and enjoy things and just be silly. I want to be able to do that more often and just have fun and enjoy myself.

Do things NOW, not later- I am a huge procrastinator and while it has never served me wrong, there will come a day when it will. So, instead of putting things off, I want to do them when they come up.

Think Positive: Be Positive- Changing one's thinking is a hard change to make. A long time ago I read a book called The Dragon Slayer with the Heavy Heart and it's all metaphorical about changing negative thinking into positive thinking. I want to work on that this year. I tend to think the worst about everything and it takes too much energy.

Get back to ME- I'm a country girl at heart, always have been. I was born and raised in the country and I miss that part of myself everyday. I was always smiling and nice to everyone. That was probably the happiest time in my life and I want to get back to that feeling and lifestyle.

Love More- Of course, I love my family but I could do better at showing it, especially towards DH.

Learn More- I want to learn more about everything, my kids, my DH, hobbies, life........

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jessica, you have obviously given this a lot of thought. We could all learn from your commandments no matter what our word might be. They seem to apply to alot of us.
Good luck, I will continue to watch with interest.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
So I actually exercised today!! I did the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michael's. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought for not doing it for a year. I felt a bit queasy afterward but after a shower and some water am feeling much better.

Speaking of water, I have one glass almost down and will immediately refill my glass with more ice water.

I still need to post my Secrets of Adulthood and do my resolution chart for THP. Actually I think i'll work on those right now while i'm thinking about it.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Jessica, you are such an inspiration! I love the journey you've started and you commandments!! I will be following along!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jessica,

How awesome! I agree, the 12 Commandments are hard! I'm struggling coming up with mine but you have given me inspiration!

It's going to be a GREAT year, I can just feel it!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jessica-
I set out a piece of paper on the corner of my desk and put: 12 Commandments on it. I'm jotting down ideas as they come to me. Some sound more like The Secrets of Adulthood.

Will have to see where this goes..........

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Good luck Annie! It is very hard to think of things on cue. I know throughout the year I probably think of a million things but never remember them when it comes time to sit and write them down. I carry a small notebook with me, but always forget I have it. I'm going to start using it though to write down all the little things I think of. LOL