March 2010 Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is still winter here! So I am thinking Christmassy thoughts -- and about Rudy Day!

March Rudy Day comes on a Thursday. I will be celebrating on the weekend -- another Rudy Day Weekend! What about you?

Ds#1, ddil#1 and dgd will be visiting -- I think from the 23rd to the 26th. I have already decided to have Easter baskets for the grandchildren -- since they will all be together. (And Easter is early this year -- is it April 5th?)

I very often have "Christmas celebrations" when nobody else knows that is the secret thought in my mind. Like when I have a "Christmas Brunch" for the neighbors -- in September -- when it is warm enough to have it outside. (Much more room outside - and really nice for a brunch.)

So - a special family dinner this month -- where "in my mind" -- it is a beautiful, family, Christmas Day dinner!!!! That spreads out the Christmas celebrations for me! And multiplies the celebrations!

That would prolong the Rudy Day Celebration quite nicely too! Lots to think about!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Oh, SparkleNana~MORE snow??????? YIKES! I think I would definitely have a breakdown if that were happening here. However, it does snow in March around these parts!

For Rudy day, I need to get myself started. I did buy a couple of presents yesterday. Walgreens has pashmina scarves for 2/$10, so I bought two. I think one will be for Coworker and one for DD. I should start making my list. I will cut back some more this year, since I will probably be retiring by year's end (PLEASE, GOD!).

I hope to feel more in the holiday spirit this year. Last Christmas the wind was knocked out of my sails by two people, and it ruined the holidays for me. If it happens this year, that's it. That. is. it.

I think I'll do gift cards again for the big kids, and one big and two smalls for the DGKs. I don't know. Haven't really decided yet. I'll have to ponder on this for a while. AND, of course, I think a trip to Ikea would be in order. I could fire up the MHH bus!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Pam - if there is even a CHANCE that you might be retiring at the end of 2010 ---- WE HAD BETTER GET BUSY! YOU HAVE SIMPLY GOT TO START VISITING THE SENIOR CITIZEN APARTMENTS THAT HAVE SECTION 8! There is absolutely NO TIME TO WASTE!

If you are going to retire soon.... YOU need to take care of yourself. That is simply a fact. NOBODY ELSE is going to do this! You NEED TO go around to all the Section 8 housing near your grandchildren.... and put yourself on their waiting lists.

NOBODY ELSE can do this for you!

It does NOT matter how long the waiting lists are. People get on multiple waiting lists... and you must do this too!!!! A waiting list MAY move a lot more quickly than you think it will!

I am willing to bet that your impatience with your employment is going to melt away --- when you are trying to figure out your retirement!!!!!!

You are NOT a victim in this. NONE of us are victims in this. WE ALL must take care of ourselves in this!!!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sparklenana is right Pam. Think of yourself and as a nice way to round up the end of the month.... why not get payed for all the sewing you do? Sure some of that sewing is gifts but all repairs could be payed (either in money or otherwise) and it would help you towards your retirement goal. And those housing usually cost less so that'll help too.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Not sure if I will be able to do much this Rudy Day - but I am hopeful! :)

If nothing else, I will try to review and organize my planning documents that I keep on our laptop - just get them spruced up and ready for the new year. Maybe print some calendar pages for my binder.

Small things I could get done in the little breaks I get when baby is sleeping...

That would be a nice way to remember Rudolph Day this month I think!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
The first 2 Rudy days came and went w/o me getting much done so I need to start thinking now of some simple "to dos" to get started on. I need to decide on the craft for this year. I tried the spider ornaments one yr and had issues and gave up quickly. I still have all the supplies so maybe I'll try that again.

AuntJamelle- you can always thow in some christmas music (if you don't have CD's there's always Pandora on the computer) the baby may enjoy it also.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Not sure what I will have planned for March Rudy day, but it will be something. I am really enjoying taking one day a month and doing Christmas prep on that one day. Maybe this month I will start going through some of my recipe books and come up with a few ideas for what to eat for our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals. Also I am sure that there is alot of recipes in there that I can make for homemade gifts.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I need to get back on track myself. I've been so busy seeing doctors about my hand and planning for a skiing trip in two weeks that I have gone off track. This month is the month I focus on gift ideas. I do have several gifts in mind for people - just want to get the list completed as next month I plan to start shopping.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Wow.... I love this. I haven't done any Rudolph Days yet. I plan to start this month. Do y'all usually stick to the "suggested" that is on the organizedchristmas site? Or just do something?

I have trouble making myself focus.... blame the adult onset of ADHD! LOL!!! And a whole lot of OCD and just plain a bit psychotic. :)

LOL. Do whatever you're in the mood to do and it doesn't have to be on the 25th of each month either. Sometimes I have impromptu Rudy Days - watching a holiday movie while drinking hot chocolate on a rainy day. Listening to some Christmas tunes, or work on a project, or find a Christmas gift while out shopping. Anything you heart desires.

Belles

Retire Member
I have got to share this with you, I thought it was wonderful; long before we knew about Rudolph day my DS would listen to Christmas music on the 25th of every month.
So the other day we were riding down the road it was Feb Rudy day and he made a comment about it being "dancer day" and I'm like what. He calls each month after each reindeer starting with Dasher, his Rudolph day would be Sept. , ms clause day is Oct,
Santa day is Nov and Dec is Christmas. I thought he had a pretty neat system.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That is cute Belles. Just out of curiosity how old is he?

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Wasn't able to play for Feb. Rudy day, but definately trying for March! Hoping to catch up what I had planned for last month which was just organizing all my tear files of ideas. This month plan on making curtains for my living/dining room for next Christmas, already have the fabric and thread just need to do it. Still working on my winter/spring cleaning...

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
This month's Rudy Day is the day before DD10 finishes school for Easter so I think I'll just enjoy having a bit of "me" time before the holidays start. I'll more than likely watch a Christmas Special that I've recorded,drink huge amounts of hot chocolate and burn a Christmas candle!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Belles, now that's a son I could love! My daughter just laughes..She's 15 now.
But last month I did pull out the Bette Midler Christmas CD and husband didn't even realize it was Christmas Music.

This month, I'm going to celebrate on the 27th when I'm home alone for the weekend. I think I've still got Christmas movies on the TiVo to watch!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I'm not sure what I will be doing this Rudy day. I have so much to do it is just a matter of sitting down and organizing something. I do have a master list so I will go through that and see where I am up to. I must get moving on handmade gifts. I am in a bit of a rush this year as I miss September and October Rudy day as I will be in the U.S but maybe I can do something while I am over there!!!!

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
ROTFLMBO! maybe I'll get the rest of my Christmas decorations put away for Rudy Day ;D
Been in poor health since the week before Christmas and just haven't felt up to it.
that would be an excellent project. It's all packed in tubs just need to put away the tubs.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
One thing I want to do better this year is decorate cookies. I bake a lot of them, but don't decorate. I might do a little practice with Royal Frosting. I'm sure the kids would love it. I could bake some Easter cookies, but practice the technique for Christmas cookies.

LL- check out the Royal icing recipe and tips on Martha Stewart's site...that's how I started and it's quite helpful. I use powdered egg whites if I can't find meringue powder. And paste food coloring gives the richest colors. You don't need pastry bags- regardless of what Martha says ;) ...I fill small ziplock bags with icing and snip a tiny corner to use for lining the cookie before "filling" each color in...works like a charm. Just let each color dry before you start the next.

I love your idea of making Easter cookies to decorate for practice! We make Halloween cut outs for the same reason! LOL!

Have fun!