March 2010 Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Happy Rudolph Day Weekend!! This weekend I am going to reorganize the location of my Christmas totes/boxes in the garage so they are easier to reach. I want to do it now before the summer heat comes. This means cleaning out the garage which hubby likes!! We are really trying to keep down the clutter. It doesn't sound too "Christmassy" now, but will help when I am ready to decorate. I've also been trying to declutter and organize the guestroom by spending a half an hour every few days.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
March RUDY DAY WEEKEND CONTINUES.....

Dh and I are exhausted after all the visiting this week....... so we are stretched out in the family room. We have two couches and a TV set in here. So... we each get a nice, soft couch to ourself!!!! Bliss!

Dh has been watching basketball games. Alternating between men and women's playoff games. I have been looking up Christmas topics on the we..... and reading happily. Sometimes closing my eyes and resting for a while.....

At 8:00, we will watch a movie.

I hope some energy appears tomorrow! Have a cozy night!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sunday Morning... of our March Rudy Day Weekend. SOME energy has appeared.

Dh and I went out for (free) coffee and read the newspapers. Nice.

March Rudy Day has been lots of thinking about Christmas 2010. AND -- lots of celebrating Christmas 2010. Since ds#1, ddil#1 and dgd were here this week.... and will not be physically here during our December 2010 Christmas celebrations.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
The BEST part of our March Celebration of Christmas 2010 was...... simply being together in the same place....... with no official structure. Delicious dinner available for self-service on paper plates. (Busy life going on... not an "official" holiday - day-off-from everything. So fast cleanup was wonderful!)

A peaceful, loving place. Opportunity for the brothers-in-law to get together and talk. The same for the sisters-in-law. While the cousins played joyfully. And the grandparents looked on in peaceful joy!

NOT fancy decorations. NOT gifts. (Although there were gifts. Children do love gifts. And people who love those children love to give them gifts.) Not fancy clothes. Time together was the absolutely most precious thing.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Aggy - your family is so close and loving! I know how upsetting it must be for everyone to have your grandmother in the hospital! I sent up a little prayer for her! Hopefully, things will go smoothly for her. Does your family know that your grandmother can go to a rehab center/skilled care facility for a month of care paid by Medicare... IF they go directly from the hospital? It doesn't work if she goes home from the hospital... and THEN decidrd she needs more care. It is only free if she arranges to go directly FROM the hospital TO the care facility. (The hospital "Discharge Planners" are supposed to arrange everything!)

Anyway -- you deserve your March Rudy Day... no matter WHEN you have to take it!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today.... I will be working in the Office/Guest Room. And THAT is where part of my Christmas Stash is! Heh, heh, heh.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
SparkleNana your prayers worked as my grandmother came home last night. I didn't know about the rehab care but will tell my mom about it.

She has diabeties (sp?) and she had not eaten all day Friday and fell ill around 4:00 Saturday morning. Luckily she was around one of my uncles when she passed out. If she had made it to her room and passed out, she might not be here today. It was truly a wake-up call for her.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Aggy - What good news about your grandmother! I am a HUGE believer of EVERYONE going to rehab BEFORE they go home!!!!! Everything is right there at the Rehab Facility. Physical therapists -- who can work TWICE a day with the recovering patient! And the family does NOT have to drive the patient to and from rehab!

There is a dietician on staff -- who can come into the patient's room (if you request it). The dietician can talk to the patient and the family about what the patient should be eating.... AND what will taste good to the patient (and still be healthy).

There is a social worker right there at the rehab facility. The family can meet with the social worker -- and get all kinds of up-to-=date information about services available (free) to the patient. Any little family situations can be discussed with the social worker.... who has dealt with ALL of our problems so many times with so many families! They have a unique perspective!

There is an activities director -- who may interest the recovering patient in hobbies (artwork? music?) that they may be interested in exploring.

There are nurses who are very, very familiar with the health needs of people your grandmothers' age.

And all these things are availalble free (your grandmother paid for these services all her life and now she gets to benefit from them!) The ONLY THING IS -- the patient must go directly from the hospital to the rehab facility! DO NOT let your grandmother leave the hospital until this is set up. (The discharge planner, on the hospital staff, can arrange this in a flash! This is all they do -- day after day. They know how to do it!)

If your grandmother goes home.... even if only for a few hours.... and THEN realizes she needs rehab services.... they will NOT be free! Medicare insists that you go directly from the hospital to rehab -- for it to be paid for. My understanding is that one month is covered (with all the services I mentioned, and more).

It is so important to preserve the strength and energy of the family members who care for elderly relatives! And this is a very good way to do that!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Oops - I reread your post and realized that your grandmother did go home from the hospital. Well.... this information is good for the next time she goes!

This is the last day of March. We have eight more months of Rudy Days. Or Rudy Weekends. However you slice it.... we have eight more months before we even get to December 2010! I think we can all get a lot done -- very happily -- during these eight months!