March 2015 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
March 14th, Friday. I am thinking about "this piece of decluttering advice":
Your possessions are supposed to serve your life -- as it is lived NOW!
Not souvenirs of the way we have lived in the past! (Well, maybe a very few!)
Not - things we have bought - for "the way we WANT to live".
Just -- things that serve - the way that we live now.

Well "now" -- is kind of a "moveable feast". (Thank you for that phrase, Hemmingway).
Clothing for "now" - has to cover from 10 degrees below zero up to 10 degrees above 100 degrees.
Cooking utensils for "now". Is that for "summer bar-b-q's" or winter "hot chocolate and pots to bake in the oven"?
And…. so on.

To tell you the truth --- my home is STILL not back "in order" -- from the TWO parties that I gave -- earlier this month. "Real life" keeps on happening. And it takes me longer and longer - "to recover from a big effort".

So -- today is another "real life day" for me. I posted, on our Chit Chat Thread -- that I planned to stay home today. A few minutes after writing that post -- dd called me -- with "an emergency driving job". Dsil had taken dgs6 to karate. Dd had dropped off dgs13 - at a bar mitzvah - and had taken her dog to the vet. (Planning to pick up dgs13 - after the vet was finished with the dog).

Then -- an "emergency" was brought into the vet's office. Things backed up -- and dd was still stuck at the vet's office. Dgs13 had called - that the bar mitzvah was over - and he needed to be picked up. Could I get dgs13? Yes, I could!

I went to the temple (a new one for me). No sign of dgs13. No sign of anybody - outside. So -- I drove around -- and parked in the back - at a lower level. I went in -- to a HUGE room -- filled with dozens of tables - set with chairs. Decorated with blue and white tablecloths. Lots and lots of buffet tables -- filled with serving platters - full of food. Hundreds of people (of all ages) - sitting and eating and standing, talking -- and walking around. I joined the "walking around" people. Eventually I found dgs13 - with a bunch of boys his age. I was very cool and "said nothing"!. Dgs13 walked by me -- said very quietly - "I'm going to the bathroom". I murmured back -- "I'll be by the back door".

A little while later, dgs13 joined me and we left the building -- walking separately.
Although there was A TON of food there -- I asked dgs13 if he had eaten. "Not really," he said. We stopped at Subway and got a sandwich for him and one for dgs15. (In case you are not familiar with teenage boys -- that can eat HUGE amounts of food at any time! As long as it is "food that THEY like". And - not the latest efforts of very expensive caterers -- such as was the food offered at the bar mitzvah after-lunch at the temple).

OK -- I took dgs13 to his home. Dgs15 was there. (I had bought a sub for him, too.) Dsil was still out with dgs5. Dd was still out with The Dog". Then I went to the market. Isn't there ALWAYS something that you can buy -- when you drive past a grocery store? Today -- it was boxes of kleenex. Toilet paper. Coffee.

I came home. I fed myself some mac & cheese that I had just bought at the grocery store. (I KNOW that I want to lose weight. But I NEEDED "comfort food"!) Dh had left a note that he had gone to a used book store. GOOD. THINGS ARE QUIET AT HOME AND I do not have to share the mac & cheese.

So -- here we are. (Back at "the beginning".) "Real Life is happening. I am TRYING to "keep up" with "Routine Stuff"! And - hopefully - I will get in "Fifteen Minutes of Decluttering". Thank Goodness that this thread - goes on - for the entire year of 2015!!!!

Dh just got home from the USed Book Sore. He is happy. And he is tired.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
March 15 - 4 vests I had knit a long time ago that we don't wear anymore are being givent away.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
March 16 - got rid of some gel candle stuff dd had and some glasses that went with this ... got 1 drawer emptied... and filled it up with my wool :) at least all my wool is now in the same place.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
March 20, 2015: well, let's see….. This weekend - ds#2 cleared out - all of the "winter debris" from the front and bak yards -- AND from the back porch/deck. That was HUGE and took lots of hours! Although I didn't DO it -- I really benefit from it! Nice "psychological boost"!

Today is a general "home maintenance day". More work is needed -- than just a "home blessing". I will carry along -- a "dedicated trash bag" -- dedicated to "getting rid of some clutter"!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
March 23rd... got rid of 2 pairs of old running shoes, 1 dvd divider, 2 fabric bags (empty) that are not needed anymore, some old Easter stuff I got from the attic yesterday.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
March 29 - 9 books to give away, a gift box, 1 vase, 1 plant pot.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Not as much done as I wanted in March but have moved some out.

Jaymee is starting to make felt food so moved out a big box of it and embroidery floss-3 gallon size bags and a sandwich baggie full.

Got some papers out and have a few boxes started for either sale or Goodwill.

You ladies do so good on moving crap out!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I have been doing some decluttering work -- outside!!! I spend a lot of time outside -- during the year!!! And -- during the year -- clutter-type-things… get left around outside. I am doing my best -- to get these things… taken care of. AND --- to NOT bring in MORE clutter -- this year!!!!!!

When "good weather" hits --- I do NOT like to be "inside". So -- if I can keep the new stuff to a MINIMUM -- that alone will help with keeping the amount of clutter - down!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
March 30th:
DH has been decluttering his space under the garage... a pair of boots, some plastic wraps and big bottles have found their way in the recycling bin

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Gosh, Good work on the decluttering.
I am way behind as I have been so busy with other things but come mid April my sporting commitments will be over and this house will be my next priority. Really looking forward to getting in and tidying it all up.