May 2010 Rudy Day!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Happy Rudy Day!! Especially to those celebrating for the first time! How fun!
Turning on my Christmas playlist...checking the countdown(214 days!)...hopefully blogging,brainstorming elf ideas, and getting a prize ready for Christmas in July!
Have a great day everyone!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Happy rudy day ladies. i will be celebrating tomorrow since I have lunch plans today and some errands while I am out. I think I will get a mini jump start though and put on a Christmas CD while I clean the kitchen. Wether this is your first or 101st Rudy day hope it's a great one for you.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Happy Rudy Day everyone! Today I shall be watching a Christmas special while wearing my Christmas socks and a pair of Christmas earrings.(and other clothes too obviously!)lol!

Alison - that cracked me up! Thanks for the laugh this morning!

I started the day with my favorite Christmas music playlist while getting ready for work. I am enjoying hot chocolate (in the air conditioning) at my desk, and I will be putting together what I have for my CiJ boxes tonight when I get home...they should be almost done - except for the ornament...I need sand to finish (will get that this weekend while we're celebrating Memorial Day at the NJ shore).

Happy Rudy Day everyone! Ho! Ho! Ho!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hello Beloved MHH Family members! How are you doing today?

This is a very strange Rudy Day for me. Why so. you ask? Well.... for many years, I "saved" important papers -- instead of filing them properly. I am not upset about this! I was so busy -- working outside the house. raising a family...... I did what I could. And.... filing papers simply did not make it to the top of the list. So.... there has been a huge amount pf papers to go through.

Now.... the house has been decluttered enough -- that I have gotten to the boxes of saved papers. I am going through them.... with the goal of having the important ones filed by Christmas 2010! Somehow.... I have chosen to continue this project on Rudy Day! Go figure!

At SOME point..... I may switch to more festive Christmas activities. I have many "Christmassy things" to play with..... I mean "to organize" on this, our May Rudy Day! I also have the Memorial Day Weekend coming up! And.... dh and I had PLANNED to be out of town this week. So our calendar is blissfully clear of obligations!

So.... here we are. Working on Decluttering Paperwork on Rudy Day. Happily -- I might add. Watching TV, while I do this.

I REALLY love to read about Christmassy activities on Rudy Day. And MY activity does NOT seem Christmassy and festive....... at all.

Luckily.... our MHh Family.... lives in A BIG TENT! There is so much room here..... that every one of us can do whatever we NEED and whatever we WANT! We adore variety! We cherish our unique personalities and lifestyles! So nice!

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
Happy Rudy Day Everyone! I hope to find inexpensive stocking stufffers and enter some contests to win some free stocking stuffers online. I'll by stamps this week for my cards before they go up. I usually wait for the cute Christmas stamps, but the cards that I bought for this year have deocrated envelopes. Plus, I haven't been too thrilled with the designs the last couple of years. I hope to find some pretty Christmas envelope seals this year, also.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
LOL SparkleNana!

I have to admit, I've been gazing at my Christmas cookbooks for days thinking about the yummy feast I could prepare. Yesterday, being the day I had allocated to create menus, I had a really hard time sitting down and actually focusing on it!

Funny how our minds work ;)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Happy Rudy Day. Isn't the year flying? I have so many plans for today. I would like to go through some recipes and maybe come up with a few new things for meals over the Christmas period. I'm sure that there are things that we have not had for a while that we can try again. I have tidied up the Christmas cupboard and sorted out the stocking fillers from the gifts and boxed them up. Now if I want to wrap stocking fillers I can just pull down a box and get started.
I recently bought some Gooseberry patch books so I would like to go through them if I get time.

Have a good day
:tree2:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Sparklenana....you will feel so great when that's decluttered....that you will feel like it's CHRISTMAS....I did the same thing with a whole file cabinet at work today and it feels great....I have four years till retirement so I am getting my office really cute for the next few years....and CUTE means....NO CLUTTER!!!!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Love the Rudolph lessons Ginger! The world be awfully dull without "misfits"!

Mackiesmudder

Premiere Member
May 21, 2010
Hackettstown, NJ
Thank-you for my first Rudy Day! I sure missed a lot by not knowing of this wonderful site and group! I did sort and tag a lot of my gifts and I will finish this up maybe Monday with a second May Rudy Day! I am just loving this!
Cathie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great blog Ginger! I like the post about simplifying Christmas 2010.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
:elf:

Happy Day-After Rudy Day! :)

I did spend a small amount of time last night working on my Christmas binder.

I also went through some photo copies of recipes I had saved and decided on a gift item for my girlfriends this year - "Caramel White Chocolate Sauce"

It keeps up to 1 month in the fridge - but it sounds so good that I don't imagine it will last that long!

I also started a Master Groc List document and a Master Shopping List document - but Word freaked out on me and I lost alot of the data I'd typed in.

I was too tired to retype it and just went to bed!

Now I am planning on when to do a test run of that sauce - just to make sure it is as good as it sounds!

I also looked through some of my canning cookbooks yesterday - I have one that includes not only canning recipes but how to make your own ANYTHING - you name it, crackers, pasta, mayo, mustard, bacon, beef jerky, etc. and so on until your head spins...

I am thinking of planning to make the beef jerky as a surprise for DH - he loves the store bought kind and this book says their recipe is much better than what you can buy in the store.

On a side note - I also found a fun new recipe for strawberry jam that uses lemon rind (kept whole) and lemon seeds to get the jam to jel - I love lemon flavor and I am very excited to try this recipe when my strawberry patch starts producing this summer!

If it turns out to be awesome jam - it will probably end up on my Christmas gift lists to the people who like to get that sort of thing.

Gingerbug - Love the Rudolph blog posts! I am also looking to simplify - less emphasis on "stuff" - more on enjoying time and experiences with family and friends.

Instead of baking a ton of different types of cookies this year - I am only going to make a small assortment of cookies - just more of each type. Then I'll have enough for the 2-3 cookie tins I send out and for us to indulge in, have out at parties, etc.

For co-workers this year I am going to do a Fudge Tray - I'll make 2, maybe 3 types of fudge, cut it into individual serving squares and display them/serve them in little mini muffin paper liners on a holiday tray. Cute but quick.

And less stressfull than trying to have a large assortment of cookies to bring in! In fact, I may decide to send tins of the different types of fudge this year instead of cookies.

I'm still debating...smell the smoke? :)

Okay - enough rambling - sleep deprivation does that to me! :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Happy day after Rudy day to all as well. I celebrated some today. I am burning my Pine Scented Yankee Candle and watched Elf also that movie makes me laugh and bring s tear to my eye at the end when Santa flies.

I figured out what Christmas card I want to make and it's sort of detailed (it's a never endidng card if you ahve seen them) so I think I figured out what stamps are going where on it and made a sample one to work from. Then I put every thing I needed for it in a plastic tub that also has a smaller box w/ the Christmas Spider ornaments that I want to make. So now it's all tog, for me to grab when I want to. I plan on taking that on my vacay to the mts to work on. '

i was wondering about gifting cookie dough, uncooked. I could gift it frozen (like to teachers and friends) and the could freeze it until they are ready to pull it out to cook. What do you think?

AuntJamelle-sounds like you were really busy, good job.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
GB...I really like your blog post about simplifying Christmas.
I think that as my kids get older (21 and 17) I am trying to find ways to capture the magic they felt when they were younger.
Last year I had an awful Christmas because I felt that the magic was not there. The kids did not seem excited about their gifts and were a little uninvolved with the whole with the whole day. When I asked them about it later they both said that they had a terrific day and they really enjoyed it. When I thought about it, their reactions to the day were ADULT reactions. Of course they did not jump up and down and squeal with delight everytime they opened a gift.
I now have to reevaluate Christmas in a household with 4 adults and plan things differently.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I think that as my kids get older (21 and 17) I am trying to find ways to capture the magic they felt when they were younger... When I thought about it, their reactions to the day were ADULT reactions. Of course they did not jump up and down and squeal with delight everytime they opened a gift. I now have to reevaluate Christmas in a household with 4 adults and plan things differently.

Katrina - we faced the same thing before I got married and had kids....we had 9-12 adults for Christmas Eve and Christmas and it just felt like our celebrations had lost the magic and wonder...so we decided to act a little like kids ourselves! We picked names and got each other Christmas PJ's (which HAD to be worn on Christmas Eve) - this is something that we always received on the eve as children (because my mom wanted us to look nice in the pictures opening presents! LOL!) Of course, our adult versions were usually humorous - we had themes such as famous person (Elvis, baby New Year, even Martha Stewart made an appearance one year), and of course they had to be Christmasy. One year my brother dressed up our uncle like a Christmas tree - complete with working lights. We also picked names for stockings and put the emphasis on "fun, whimsical" items - nothing expensive. You'd be surprised how creative people get when they're motivated. Finally, we started opening a new game every Christmas Eve and we all played it in front of the tree after dinner. Some years they were adult games (Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, etc) but one year we played Operation and Perfection - what a blast!

Talk to your kids and see if you can work some of that childlike magic back in...they might surprise you and have some new ideas of their own!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Colleen...I really appreciate what you said about asking the kids what they enjoy. I will sit down with them very soon and let them tell me what they find magical about Christmas. Things have certainly being changing over the past few years. DD now picks what we eat for Christmas Eve dinner and DS picks what we eat Christmas Breakfast. Last year we had fresh fruit and dipping sauces for dinner and for breakfast we had danishes and chocolate croissants because that is what they picked.
We also did a Christmas Eve basket for the first time last year and had all sorts of snacks and watched a new Christmas movie. It was actually the best thing about last Christmas. I must though try your suggestion of dressing up in Christmas jammies. That would be fun.