New years

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
This is the first year in many that DH and I are going out and won't be with the kids. I'm happy that we're are getting a fun night out with adults, but I will miss the kids. In the past I've always kept our Christmas stuff up and added a little to it or swapped a few things for New Years.

No, I haven't thought much about my resolutions yet. I'm determined to plan on things that I will stick with this year though! So I do want to really think about them before I commit.

Snicks

MHH Member
Dec 27, 2007
Minnesota
In years past we've had my SIL and her family over for a sleepover (the kids) but this year they moved to CA. I think we will have it be just the family (plus my mom). We will play cards, board games, maybe watch a movie and then the countdown on TV. Lots of popcorn and snacks for everyone.

I took most of the Christmas decorations down already. I'll leave my snowmen (I have alot of those) decorations out until mid January when I'll decorated for Valentine's day.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
We often eat 'Raclette' at New Year's Eve. Raclette is melted cheese, served over boiled potatoes with lots of ground black pepper, accompanied by onions, sometimes with pineapple, ham and mushrooms. It will be make with little pans under a special grill.

our decoration is that we put some streamer of paper over lamps and the Christmas tree.
Often we give away some four-leave clovers to our family with a little pig (sweet) and a little figure of a chimney sweeper above.

when the kids were younger we let them sleep and wake them up again short time before twelve and they could have a look at the firework display.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We have the same decorations as Xmas. My and my DH family come for supper (probably tourtière - meat pie with potatoes and gravy) + a desert because MIL's 80th birthday. Then we just hang around and we go on a sleigh ride with horses around 10 o'clock (for about 1 hour). After we listen to music, play cards... until midnight and we wish happy new year to everyone. After we have a buffet to serve.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
As of now we are staying home- we may go next door to play Disney Scene-it. We have lots of snacky stuff to eat and I just picked up the Holiday Ghiradelli chocolates (on sale!!) for DH and DD will get a basket from Father Time (movie, glow stick, light up toy). It feels nice to think about staying home instead of running everyhere!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
We always stay home and celebrate with the kids. yummy snacks, board games and Christmas decor for one last night.... (it starts coming down on Jan 1)

This year our church has rented the rec center and there will be skating and swimming followed by a party at a friends house. Different but what the heck... our kids are getting older and they want to go out.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Me and the kids usually end up going to my moms house where we all gather together. Kids watch movies or play games. Adults play cards.

My parents never muched care for us going out on NYE and it has just stuck with us all.

This year I will be in bed long before the ball drops since I have to be to work at 6:00 on the first.

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
For the first time since we were dating my hubby has to work late on New Year's Eve ... he's hoping to be home in time for the ball drop, but he has made me no promises :(

But, that means it will be a very kid-focused holiday this year. I have an 18 month old whom I doubt very much is up at midnight (let us hope!) but my six year old has already announced she's ringing in the New Year :haha:

She and I will probably make cresent roll cheese pizzas (some something similar on FoodTV this past week) and I'm going to raid the ABC and 123 cookie cutters to make 2008 and New Year cookies. I bought some sparkling white grape juice to "toast" with. I'm still trying to come up with a fun movie for she & I to watch.

I have just been taking down Christmas a tiny bit at a time and I imagine we'll do a craft or two (or more) to decorate for 2008. I'm still in the "brainstorming" phase, I guess.

Looking forward to reading about everyone's plans and gathering ideas!
Best Wishes!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
On Christmas Eve, we will be attending an ECHL hockey game as a family. The kids love it. Then we'll come home and have hot dogs with kraut. DH and I stay up and talk about the year ahead and the year past. DH's sister has a party following the game, but we prefer the quiet scene.

Happy New Year!
Lisa :bigsnow:

HollyClaus

Retire Member
Dec 28, 2007
We always do fondue on New Years Eve. The kids love it, it takes a while, and is delicious. Then we will play a game or two. Although this year, maybe we will go "bowling" with our new Wii.

:snowman:

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Twinkle said:
DD will get a basket from Father Time (movie, glow stick, light up toy). It feels nice to think about staying home instead of running everyhere!

Love this idea!!!!

I have another idea that I got from a homeschool message board I am on. I will retrieve it and post later tonight as it was a great idea for those of us with young children!

pixiestick

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
jackfrosty said:
Do you use your Christmas decor or decorate differently?

One thing I thought of doing is buying blue and silver Hannukah items on clearance if they were more "non-descript" for use at New Year's.

This year there seem to be a lot of jewel toned Christmas items out there that could also be used for New Year's each year
Just an idea.... I haven't actually acted on it yet!

pixiestick

My boys and I will probably be at my grandfather's house with my dad, and my aunt & uncle on New Year's Eve.

I think I will make a mini Thanksgiving dinner along with Christmas leftovers for dessert!!!

New Year's day I will make crockpot corned beef and cabbage with potatoes of course and any leftovers also.

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I have been so back and forth on this and I still don't know 100 % on what we are doing. DH to work till 9p, I also have to work until 5p so I will need to do something that be quick and easy, ds7 wants to stay up but I know he probably wont make it, however my little night owl, ds2 (going to be 3 on the 30th) might be up and see the new year come in. We will be having spaghetti for supper and I haven't thought of any snacks. I do think that I will go down to the wine merchant and get a nice little of wine. Who knows maybe it will be a quiet new years with dh. New Years Day my best friend is coming over for dinner with her family.

itsanewme

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
watching Off Kilter
DH is off work. He's having a friend over. They'll both cook - stuffed mushrooms, etc
DS15 may have a neighborhood friend over
Not sure what Im doing. My best friend just lost her Dad Dec 22nd, mom needed to go into a nursing home due to MS.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We have no plans as of now for New Year's. We'll probably just stay home. We may invite my brother over if he doesn't have any other plans but we'll see. Neither of our kids will make it to midnight and I have a pretty hard time myself. LOL

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
My sister in law will come with her family and we will have some raclette pans and potatoes. In the pans we melt cheese with pineapples and ham, sometimes with mushrooms, onions or corn. Perhaps we will have some meat above the special grill. At twelve we will clink galsses with sparkling wine.

For the kids we will have some firecracker and rockets. For the little ones cracker with some figures inside.

We decorate with paper blow-outs above the Christmas Tree, lamps and doors.

We will give four-leave clovers or lucky bamboo to our parents. In former time we baked some New Years bread looking like a braid.

It´s funny on afternoon. there we have coffee with 'Berliner' (very special here for New Years Eve-special sort of doughnut filled with marmelade). My mother in law always stuck some coins (packed in foil) inside the doughnut. And if you discover you get the biggest / if you get the 1 cent coin you get lucky the next year.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Hi!

I will keep my christmas decoration until january 6th. Then I will only leave some decoration, which is suitable for winter (eg, snowmen, snowflakes, etc)
For New Year I only have several "lucky charms"

And my resolutions (most important):
  • better organization at home
    finding a new job
    spend more time with my family (also those who live a little bit more far away) and friends

Chilli