New years

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Here is the idea I mentioned for kid friendly new years eve activities.
Sorry for the delay in posting this----might be hard to prep for this year but I will post it anyway.

This is an idea from another message board I am on. I have not done this myself as my little one is a wee bit young yet, but I think it is a great idea. I am copying and pasting directly from the posts there.

Version 1
For fun:
We make up bags with different times on the outside (brown lunch sacks work well.. I stamp the time on each at hour intervals)
I fill the bag with activities or things for the kids to do... like:
5 pm new jump ropes- with instructions to jump rope around the block
6 pm marshmallows that say roast marshmallows over the fire
7 pm a book for a family read a loud
8 pm a game for the family to play
9 pm a movie to watch
.... and on until midnight ...
It is a fun way to count down the time for the little ones and gives the family activities to do for the evening.

Other easy cheap fun things are: bubbles, hula-hoop’s, bubble game and learn to blow bubbles, crayons and a coloring book or art page, shrink a dinks, those stain glass window things for kids and stuff like that….

Version #2
Idea ~ Have paper bags with a clock on the outside of the bag, on each hour beginning at 5:00pm, the kids read a rhyme and open the bag. You have bags to open on the hour all the way to midnight!

Here is a list of what we are putting in our bags and the rhymes I made up to go with the bags.

5:00 ~ In the Bag : Twister game and party hats
Note: Twist and Shout and jump all about the party has just begun! So, put on a smile and your party hat and lets have some fun fun fun!!

6:00 ~ In the Bag : Makings for smores
Note: A better snack there never will be, if you are camping or down by the sea. We must wait for ‘08 a little bit more, but while you do, enjoy a SMORE!
ETC...
From JavaJackie

Version #3
Here's our party plan with our brown bags.
Our party starts at 12 noon tomorrow. Each hour starting at 12 noon the kids will open one brown bag. Their are 13 bags to take us all the way to midnight. On the front of each bag I have printed a clock with the hands on the correct time so the kids have to find the right clock for the hour to open the right brown bag. (a little math lesson incorporated LOL)
Each bag contains something and a Rhyme for that hour about whatever surprise we are doing for that hour.
Here's the bags and party plan.
Bag 1~ 12 noon
The bag contains a piece of candy for each kiddo in the bag, a party hat, and this Rhyme about their surprise for the hour.
Twist and Shout and jump all about
The Party's just begun!
So put on a smile and your party hat
And let's have us some good ol' fun!
Their surprise that the Rhyme is talking about is the game Twister. It is wrapped up for the kids under the tree right now.

Bag 2~ 1pm
Surprise for the hour is a new book to read- Curious Georges Christmas and to make noise makers for midnight out of water bottles by putting dry beans in them and then decorating them. The Rhyme they will read in this bag is:
The mind is a curious thing
George will help you as you ring
this New year in by shaking beans!
ETC...
From Java Jackies blog 2007

I think you can get the idea.....it could be tweaked many different ways--- for teens, for adults. for romance...let your imagine go!

pixiestick

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Neat idea! I'm going to copy it for my notebook to try next year.

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
We will be having a pretty low key night. Normally we just have munchies for supper and hang out, nothing special. The last two years we have gone to a friends. This year the friends are coming to our house where we will have munchies and just hang out. I did buy sparklers for the kids to use outside at midnight.

Our Christmas decorations are still up. Usually I have them down by now, but thought I would try leaving them up for this year. I am thinking that maybe next year I will take them down and decorate for New Year's. I will be on the lookout for sales after New Year's.

We don't really make resolutions since we don't tend to stick to them. But I do think about things I would like to change and try to make a plan as to how to accomplish them. This year I want to get healthy. I will try to make better food choices and I got some WALK AWAY THE POUNDS videos for Christmas and am planning on doing one every morning after I drop dd off at school. That will be hard for me because that is normally when I run errands or do housework, but I have to make it a priority. There are many other things I would like to do, but I think I better focus on one at a time for now.

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
In the afternoon I will assist my three children (5,4,2) in making party hats noise makers, munch-mix and melted snowmen (sprite in a cut-glass punch bowl). They will have a "party" before bed time.

My husband and I will stay awake as late as we can - we have not made it to midnight since the children were born. We will have our own cocktail party with lovely little morsels on-a-stick and shrimp cocktail and such. We will have a fire and a lot of candles and some bubbly. Hopefully we will watch a season movie, perhaps "It's a Wonderful Life."

Just a lovely quiet evening ....

***I still have my Christmas decorations up - until the 12th day of Christmas. However, I will change the centerpiece in my diningroom to a white pedestal cake stand with a couple of champagne flutes and champagne glasses that I have filled with small pink glass ball ornaments (reminiscent of pink champagne bubbles!). I will also add a few inverted party horns (silver) and sprinkle with a bit of silver star confetti.

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
Finally I know what we are doing tomorrow night!!! Talk about last mintue. We are going to one of our friends- we ended up getting invited to 2 places but we chose the house with less driving b/c we don't want be on the road more than we have to. I got a bottle of sparkling grape juice and sparkling apple cider for the kids and I need to get something for a snack- they are planning on playing 80's trivia- Love the 80's! and Scene-it. I am looking forward to it!!!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We are so boring! We do have some snacks to enjoy, but that's about the size of it! I haven't even gotten any fizzy juice to toast with yet! I guess I'll run tomorrow and do that. We are having roast pork with garlic and rosemary, roasted potatoes, green beans and a tossed salad for dinner. On New Year's Day, we'll be up in time to watch the Arkansas Razorbacks beat Missouri (sorry, Ginger!!) in the Cotton Bowl, while eating a take out-in breakfast! I'm going to make breakfast sandwiches of biscuits with sausage, ham or bacon, hashbrown patties, cinnamon rolls, coffee, tea, milk and juice. Unusual game snacks, but it starts at 10:30 am!! I'm planning on having ham, blackeyed peas, fried potatoes, cornbread and coleslaw for dinner on the first. That's about it for us!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We are pretty boring here too. We never go out on New Year's Eve, we prefer to stay home. There is a hockey game on and then we will probably watch a movie. The kids are excited because they are going to stay up until midnight (or later). I know DH won't make it past 11:00 and I will try really hard to stay awake!! We will snack on finger foods all night and open a bottle of sparkling apple juice and wait for the ball to drop.

Party Animals that we are!!

:happynewyear: Melanie