Notebook Workshop Week #1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Week of May 30-June 5: Discussion of possible sections, pros and cons, ideas for what works.

OKAY....it's time for Week One (well technically tomorrow is)

For week one we want to hear from people with notebooks, people without notebooks, people with partial notebooks....so anybody and everyone...

Less talk the pros and cons of notebooks....or types of notebooks...some like the old fashion binder, some like the new techie ones...so how and

Where do you fit it?

Let's talk about sections....if you have had a notebook for awhile it mostly has morphed along the way....mine went for a small six weeks one (to hold the Christmas Countdown) to an enormous one that had tons of sections....some that I NEVER used....to the 1 1/2 inch one I have today....for some reason I am partial to 1 1/2 inch binders...they seem to work for me. So

1. How has your notebook evolved? What size is it cuurently?

2. What sections do you include?

3. Which sectionj is most useful and why?

4. Which section is used least?

IDEAS?

What things work for you in setting up a notebook....but MORE what makes it a WORKING notebook....??? Not just a nice binder on a shelf...but something you use...during Christmas or all year long? How do you make it work for you?

So that's a lot of questions....so you can post all of them in one post or come back throughout the week and add answers as the week continues. Sometimes you will get ideas from other posts. This week is mostly brainstorming.....next week we will have some challenges of some things to actually DO to our notebooks.

:santa:

Mackiesmudder

Premiere Member
May 21, 2010
Hackettstown, NJ
I have a question on the notebook

Since I have not worked with a notebook yet (can't wait!), where do you keep the notebook with everything? I mean, do you take it with you all of the time so you can see sizes etc, or do you have a smaller "sub" notebook for your purse or car?
Thanks!
Cathie

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Ok I'm looking at my notebook from last year and it's a bit of a mess... So really happy to be sorting it out before the official Holiday Grand Plan starts this year!

Basically it's a ring binder (1.5 inch) with dividers. Last year I only had a few sections (gifts, meals/menus, cards, decor, budget). After doing some internet reading, I've now got the following sections:

- Christmas Cards
- Gifts (including receipt envelope; stocking stuffers)
- Budget
- Entertaining (including meals & menus)
- Christmas Media (books; CD's; DVD's; website listings)
- Decor & Decorations (including magazine cut outs / ideas)
- Traditions (inc Elf Magic; Advent Activities; Carols by Candlelight etc)
- Rudolph Club
- Cleaning & Home (Holiday Grand Plan)
- Christmas Past (information from last year inc gifts & cards lists. Personal review, things to improve / change etc)
- Crafts (inc craft ideas & kids crafts)

I will also have the Holiday Grand Plan calendar at the front of the notebook, so it's not in a particular section. That way it's the first thing I see when I open the notebook.

I have a couple of questions though. First of all, does anyone else have a section for the Rudolph Club, and if so, how is it used? I'm thinking of getting rid of this section considering things done on Rudolph Day can generally be allocated to other sections.

Also, does everyone find it better to include the Gift Closet inventory in the Christmas notebook? Or is this better placed in the general household notebook for year round reference (birthday's etc).

What section should family wardrobe planning (for special occasions, dinners etc) be under?

Any feedback will be much appreciated!!

Cathie, I just use the one notebook which is kept at home. I find that if there is something I need to buy I'll have planned ahead so I don't need a small notebook with me. If you need to write down details of something you need, you could always jot it down in a notepad to save taking everything with you?

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
HAHA!! I forgot about answering the questions!!

1. How has your notebook evolved? What size is it cuurently?
I'm using the same 1.5 inch folder I used last year, just with more sections. If need be, I'll increase to a lever arch file, but I don't think I'll need to.

See my post above :)

3. Which section is most useful and why?
Definately the Meals / Menu planner!! Last year I wrote a master grocery shopping list, and then divided the master list in to smaller lists. One for dairy, one for drinks, one for fruit/veg and another for everything else which could be bought weeks in advance and kept in storage. I found it easier to plan my shopping that way.

Last year it was budget!!! I really need to change that though...

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I'll answer now -- and then I'll think -- and come back and post some more.

The most useful section for me was the Christmas Calendar(s). Having a special calendar in the Notebook really helped me visual the time -- just concentrating on holiday things. (Day to day things did not get put on the Christmas Calendar -- and thus did NOT distract me from thinking about the holidays.)

Having the "special" events on the calendar -- helped me allocate my time for the NON-special events (like cleaning, shopping for everyday stuff, etc. etc.)

The Holiday Wardrobe Section was very helpful -- because those clothes COULD be organized well in advance. For families with children -- getting clothes ready for the kids is a much bigger job than people think. So this IS really helpful!

The Gift List was very helpful.

"Menus" was helpful. Having things "on hand" (such as candy and wine for hostess gifts). Having available emergency meals listed. And planning food for special menus.

I started with the Holiday Grand Plan (HGP) in September. Eventually that fell by the wayside, and I went to the Houseworks Holiday Plan (HHP) That fell by the wayside too. But.... every year.... things DO get better and more organized! THIS year, I am trying the Summer Holiday Grand Plan. I recommend that everyone jump in now - because you make your own schedule to fit your own summer. I think this is going to help us be WAY ahead of the game, when September comes around. AND.... I like having a plan.... rather than just my usual summer plan -- which is to survive the heat and humidity and still be alive in September..

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I started out with a 3-ring binder, which got bigger and bigger, and more unwieldy. I still have it, but it's more of an archives now. My real notebook is an approx. 6"x9" spiral-bound five-section notebook with pockets separating the sections. It's much easier to handle, and I can take it shopping, if I want to. The sections are:

1. Calendars
2. Yearly gift list (receipts in pocket)
3. Gift Planning
gifts to make
stocking stuffer ideas
gift closet contents
4. Decorations
what I used each year
ideas for future Christmases
5. Food
menu ideas for Christmas celebrations
recipes

I have a separate notebook for year-round party planning.

This seems to work best for me. I see all the clever notebooks, and think I'd like to make one (or 10!), but I don't. So far, so good. The one I use most is the gift planning section. Good luck to anyone making a notebook. Don't be overwhelmed by the talent and creativity in this great group of Christmas nuts -- make what works best for you. It will evolve over the years.

Last edited:

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My Christmas stuff shares a notebook with Thanksgiving and fall stuff. Much cheaper to use a "combination notebook"-- at least for me.

I have a section for Rudy Day, Gifts, Food, and Grand Plan.

I use the food section and gift section the most.

The section that I use the least is probably Rudy Day... once I make my list I like to transfer it to my I-Cal in my computer. I will probably transfer a lot of my notebook to my I-Cal. I much prefer to have it in one spot and schedule a time to work on things. So... I imagine my notebook might just disappear.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
My main Christmas notebook is in a 3in binder. I have too many Christmas recipes and craft ideas to store in there, so I've had to put them in there own notebooks or file folders. I kind of have two halves to my notebook, a working section in the front and the back section is mostly ideas.

In the front section, I have a November and December calendar in page protectors, followed by a need to buy form for things I need to get as it gets closer to Christmas (replacement light strands etc.).
I have a 1.5 inch notebook for the HHp cleaning plan, but I'm going to make a listing of the dates and rooms and another list of Christmas prep reminders and place these on the other side of the calendars in the page protectors. Then I have my gift closet inventory and a removeable folder with pockets for any recipes I want to use or try for Christmas. All my bigger sections go behind the recipe folder. They include:

General Christmas tips I come accross
Rudolph day (since this is only a list of ideas and a monthly outline I'm going to put this in a page protector and move to the front so i use it more)
Advent/24 days of Christmas ideas
Traditions
stocking stuffer ideas
gift basket/gift theme ideas (icludes a page for hostess gift ideas)
crafts (only the ones chosen for that Christmas or CIJ)
Elf section (need to move this more to the front since I use it alot to jot down ideas)
possible gift ideas for my kids
Faith (ideas for trying to incorporate more of this into the season)
Forms blanks (off the OC site to use and moved to the front as needed)
I have a list of people to buy for with possible gift ideas placed in the front pocket of the binder, and a list of what I have already purchased for my kids in the back cover pocket. My address list is kept there as well (hides the kids list)

I need to create a separate binder for my decorating ideas with blank pages to write down any new ones. Right now my notebook is a mess because I keep writing ideas down on different pieces of paper and just shoving them in there. Since I had alot of them, I never placed them in my binder but in a file folder that is not easily accessible. A separate binder will definitely be better for me. I'm going to keep my Christmas decor inventory in this notebook as well.

The sections I use most are my gift lists, decorating ideas, and Elf idea section.
I've pretty much left out anything I didn't use like budget. I alway just have a general price range in mind for each person when I buy and try to stick to it.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Big Sigh...My Christmas notebook was packed and put into storage when I moved. Whoa is me! What is a girl to do? Start a new one, of course!!! I'll get started on it this week for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing how others organize theirs.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
1,5 inch binder for me. Last year I made a felt cover for it. Can be viewed here:
http://luludou.blogspot.com/search/label/Christmas

Dividers - I use the most:
- Rudy day (in January I try to find ideas that I jot down in advance during the year's rudy days)
- Review of past Christmases
- Crafts to make this year
- Recipes to try
- Gift closet inventory
Less used:
- Christmas year-round prep
- HGP
- Handmade gift ideas - Basket ideas (my ideas are here & I jot the ones I want to make in 'my crafts to make this year' list).
- Gift ideas & stocking stuffer ideas
- Decorations
- Traditions
- Christmas elf
- Music - films - books
- Games - activities
- Recipes

And I have a list in my purse where I have a list of people I buy gifts for & as I buy I write it down.

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
Christmas Notebook

I started my notbook several years ago. I have the following dividers:

Gifts
budget
food lists (Recipes and menus)
food buget
calendar (I use it as my family calendar or I will double book!)
decorations

The ones I seem to use the most are the food lists and decorations. I took a picture of each area of each room we decorate so that I can do it again the same way the next year Also help hubbie decorate with out me going "That doesn't go there!"
I have started the gift list on my computer so I am less app to write it in the notebook, but I might print it out and place it there. Especially because we travel for Thanksgiving. That is when I see most of my 6 brother and sisters, and their families. That way I know what I have purchased and already wrapped for them and I don't buy something else while we are traveling to see them.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Nutcracker - Taking a pictures of decorations is a good idea! Thanks for sharing.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My notebooks started very simply. I used a ring binder. Any notes I had from previous years I punch hole into and stuck them in the binder. Presto. Over the years they have grown into several notebooks: Thanksgiving/Fall, Easter (my newest) and Christmas.

1. How has your notebook evolved? What size is it currently?

Christmas notebook went to a 4 inch one just this year. I now print recipes and craft ideas from the Internet since I have found things I've wanted have disappeared sometime off the Internet. The others are 1 inch.

I always have a sections for recipes, menu, gift ideas, gifts bought from each year, gifts received, card list (sent and received), craft ideas and a section of things to try (could be crafts, recipes, table ideas)

My menu section is my favorite because not only do I keep menus from each year but also notes on what worked or didn't. I also keep a shopping list here. I serve the same menu so the shopping list does not change much.

Probably things to try. I look at it each year and after the holiday I try to weed out items that I've had a few years but didn't try. I know more ideas will be finding their way into my notebooks.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
A few years ago which feels like a completely different life, I used my PDA/handheld computer. It worked well for me, however I like paper and pen so..

I started a new one in a 2ring binder which I covered to make me feel Christmassy when I pick it up.

I feel like I can't answer the questions as I don't really know what will work for me. My main problem I envision is not being able to carry it about with me, but I always have a pad in my bag and I'm hoping to find a way of tarrying up info in my main folder at home and any scribbles when I'm out and about.

I can't wait to learn from all who have experience. :D

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
My first one I made 2 Christmas's ago and it was a small purse size one and it was cute but not practical. So I moved to a 1 1/2" binder. I used my Cricut to decorate the cover and dividers. Right now I have sectios for:
*Rudy day-jot down idesa and see what I have/need to do

*Gifts- I add new paper to the front so I can go back in time and see who's name I have drawn in the past, what I got for whom... It also lists ideas for peple, plus what I have and what is on my gift shelf. This sections would benefit from some sub categories organization

* decorating ideas-I have taken picture before, but didn't pritn them, but I will draw pictures or make notes of something I did or saw and liked.

*To Do- things I need to do, make for gifts...

* Elf fun-Again I add paper to the front then I list every thing I did that year for the elves and list ideas that I come up w/ or have read on here

In the back I have a folder (I needed a 3 hole pocket but didn't find one yet) to put all my receipts in w/ the name of who's gifts are on it, on top. And have magazine pages or recipe in the back pocket. They need homes but I need to get some of those pocket pages to put them in.

I think I will add a Food section b/c hopefully this year we can have an open house or something.

i also have a small spire notebook that at the holidays I stick in my purse that I can scribble notes in as I go. Stuff that needs to go into my big notebook or just as a travel to do list. It has a Santa on the front so that is why it's my Christmas one b/c I usually have one in my purse any way.

I don't have a budget section b/c I have a general dollar ammount that I am comfortable spending and as much as I can shop through the year.

I am looking forward to getting some great ideas from every on here.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
1. How has your notebook evolved? What size is it curently?
I have had a Christmas NB since the late 90's...it has morphed and changed from year to year. Currently, I have 3 NBs...one 3" binder for just baking/cookie ideas and a 2" binder for prior years' evaluations, calendars and lists (so helpful to keep these!), and finally the nuts and bolts 3" binder for the current year.

My sections are (not in order):
a. Calendar - Monthly pages (August - January)
Activities (I put flyers and printouts of local fairs, concerts etc. behind the calendar pages)
b. Gifts (has several mini-sections)
Gift List
Stocking Stuffer List
Order tracker (for catalog and online purchases...for the online stuff, I just print the confirms and put them behind the divider and check them off as they arrive - this way I always know where the return labels and info is if needed)
CiJ Boxes (ideas for small gifts, etc.)
Christmas Boxes (ideas for themes, gifts, etc.)

c. Decorating Ideas (tear sheets from magazines or print outs from websites)
d. Menus - includes all events and my baking list
e. Christmas Card List
f. HGP checklists
Media (Lists of Christmas books, CDs and DVDs that I own - or WANT to own LOL!)
g. Elf magic
h. Advent ideas
Manilla envelope - for receipts!
Zippered pouch - made for a binder that holds pens (in red, green, silver and gold), a small stapler, stamps, small Post-It notes or flags to mark magazine/catalog pages and a small pair of scissors.

The calendar pages, Gift List and Christmas Card Lists are most helpful for me. I also use the envelope for receipts religiously - I write on the back what I bought with the recipient's initials)

I did not use the Elf section last year or my baking list...I just ran out of time :(

I leave my NBs at home obviously - too heavy to tote around day-to-day, but I have a small spiral notebook that I keep in my purse or briefcase that has clothing sizes, shopping lists, etc. When I get home after shopping or whatnot, I just transfer the data, receipts, etc. to my binder. It works pretty well and forces me to stay on top of that part of my planning every day. It becomes part of my "Before Bed Routine" for those of you who are familiar with Flylady!

HTH! I am looking forward to giving my NB an overhaul this month!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I hesitated even posting anything about a notebook. I tried having a binder, but honestly, I would forget about it. I don't do a lot of decorating or anything.

However, I do have a notebook for my purse. It is usually a purse sized spiral that you can get in the school supplies. In it, I have a page for each person I buy for. I list what I bought under his/her name, and the amount I spend. I will then check it off when I have it wrapped. When I have completed my shopping, I will write DONE at the top of the page.

I also have a list of suggestions to buy or to make. If I am sewing, I will make a list of materials needed. This notebook is usually with me most of the time. I also have an idea in my head of how much will be spent on each person. I am cutting back again this year. My list is too long and I cannot afford to continue spending like I have money. That is usually why I shop all year long.

Also, from September to January, I have 13 birthdays and anniversaries. Five of those birthdays are grandchildren!

This is what works for me. A big one just doesn't. I'm not very organized with a big notebook. I tried it for two or three years, and my little purse size works best for me. I felt so guilty when I would read what everyone else does. But then I had a little heart to heart with myself, and reminded me that I. AM. ME. Not anyone else, and if the big binders work for them, GREAT! Now, I do have binders for things that I have printed from the net, and I am way behind organizing them. Maybe this forum will inspire me to do better. PLUS, I really need to be more realistic. Am I REALLY going to make those 1,000 plus recipes? Uhhhhh, I don't think so! lol

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Pam that's fab! What ever works best for you is what matters. Like you said why have something that is not practical? I love those cute notebooks that are school/purse size and I have more than I need and my current one is really too big for my purse but hey I carry it any way. I have a small christmas purse notebook so I def. see the advantage of yours.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Am I REALLY going to make those 1,000 plus recipes? Uhhhhh, I don't think so! lol

Pam - you are SO right! Besides, nowadays you can usually find any recipe you want on-line as needed! Maybe I should pare down my baking NB...sounds like a great project for June! thanks for the inspiration!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
My notebook is a 3 inch, 3-ring binder. I have sections for the recipes I use most such as fudge, caramels and cookies. I also have a tear file for pictures of decorations I would 'someday' like to use.

1. How has your notebook evolved? What size is it currently?
~I began with a 1 inch binder but realized very quickly it would be too small. The binder is now a 3 inch.

~I always have a sections for recipes, gift ideas, gifts bought from each year, card list (sent and received), craft ideas and a section of things to try (could be crafts, recipes, table ideas). I also include an ornaments bought list because I buy Hallmark collectible ornaments each year and I try not to get stuck on just one theme when the recipient likes many things. Such as: my dgd got a Snow White ornament last year and this year I will pick another princess.

~I think the most helpful section is where I document "Gifts Bought". I always get tunnel vision and will buy more gifts for one person thru the year and then I wind up being short on someone else. This way I keep more organized. I also carry a small notebook where I record the same info to have on hand while shopping.

~I removed the housecleaning sections and made a separate housekeeping notebook.
I also do not do the huge holiday spread so I took out the menus.