Notebook Workshop Week #1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Pam - I love your method. You should not feel guilty. Each of us has different needs and your system works best for you. And, there is nothing as glorious as writing DONE at the top of a list!

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I have a 3 inch binder which has a calendar section, menu, recipe, gift list, cards, to do list, entertainment-which includes a movie list and last year I added a decoration section. I am starting to keep a notebook on my computer or I should say I am trying to organize a notebook on my computer!! But I really rely on my notebook. Sometimes when I am working on a section like a menu, I put it in a page protector. They can hold several pieces of paper and it keeps it from getting wrinkled. This way if I was working on it in the dinning room or kitchen I don't lose paper and I don't have to worry about coffee stains!!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
My notebook is currently a 1" binder but I can see that I actually need 2, and maybe a third. The first one will be for organization. My dividers right now are: Calender, The Christmas Countdown, Menus, Gift Receipts, Misc. I think I will make the 2nd binder strictly recipes and the 3rd binder for ideas and instructions for gifts, decorations, etc. When I am preparing for Christmas Tea or a dinner I prepare a packet for myself. The first page is the guest list and the menu. I also make notes about table settings, serving bowls that I'll need to get out, etc. Then I attach a copy of the recipes I'll be using and from that I prepare my grocery list. I staple all of that together and I can keep that with me and take it to the grocery store as well as keep it on my counter to use as I am preparing things. Over the years I can reuse the copies of the recipes and the notes come in handy as well. This year I have set up a workbook on my computer for my gift closet inventory as a well as my budget and list of gifts purchased. I can then put the receipts in my Christmas Notebook. This is new this year but so far it is working out well. I'm really enjoying reading how everyone is setting up their notebooks. Lots of great ideas!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Snickerdoodle, your party packets sound like my party planner! Actually, it's an approx. 6x9" 3-ring planner, like you buy in an office supply store. For each event, I have 7 pages.

1. Occasion, date, guest list.
2. Menu, recipes and location of recipes.
3. Shopping list.
4. Decorations/centerpieces/look of table(s).
5. Days before and Day before (what needs to be done).
6. Day of and One Hour before.
7. Comments (what worked and what didn't, etc.)

It really keeps me on the straight and narrow, and I refer back to them all the time. If only the rest of my life was this organized...

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
What a great idea to break down days before and day of and then even by the hour as the day progresses. ChristmasRose, I'm stealing your idea!!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I started my first Christmas Notebook in 2001. It was a 1 1/2 in binder. In 2005 I converted it to a 6X9 3 ring binder. I love the smaller size. It is so much more convenient to hold on my lap while I curl up in a corner of my couch.

I use the weeks of the Christmas Countdown as my dividers.

I added a section for stocking stuffers as this is so hard for me.

I have a section for gifts too. I put all receipts in the pocket. I also carry a small (approx 2X3) spiral notebook in my purse.
I prefer the kind that has the spiral on the side. I use a different color each year just because I want to LOL. I divide it into 3 sections. I make my own dividers by
folding a page in half and then covering it with clear packing tape to make it thicker.
Section 1 is for gift ideas. I buy for 19 people and sometimes something small for others. I use one page for each person. Section 2 is for Gifts bought. Again I use one page for each person. I also ck mark when the gift has been wrapped and I also record which paper I wrapped it in.Section 3 is for stocking stuffers. Again one page per person. This works really well and I am thinking abt taking the stocking section out of my Christmas Notebook.

In the Christmas notebook I dont need a section for recipies as they are either in my computer or in my recipe notebook.

I added a section for christmas cards. My addresses are in my address book but I keep my Christmas card list in my notebook. Last year I copied it into my daytimer and that worked REALLY well for me so I may do that again.

My ideas and craft thoughts are in my computer. I print out what I need for this Christmas and add it to the appropriate section of my notebook.

This is what works well for me.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
I have an excel sheet and a file for every theme in my computer from A to Z.
They are the same you have before.

I differentiate between entertainment (books, CD, DVD, games) and activities (inside, outside)

On the way I can print cards (DIN A6) with information about clothes size, giftideas etc.

Last edited:

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
I'm playing catchup right now, but I must say I love this Workshop!

1. How has your notebook evolved? What size is it currently?
My notebook has always been the same white 1.5" 3-ring binder, but it's been sorely neglected as of late. I'm determined to get it in working order and pretty before CIJ!

2. What sections do you include?
Calendar
Rudolph Day
Traditions
Food
Decorations
CIJ
Cards
Gifts

3. Which section is most useful and why?
I use my gifts section the most as it's where I keep my gift closet inventory, and the lists of gifts I wanna get, and those I've already gotten along with a note if they've been wrapped or not. Such a time saver!

4. Which section is used least?
Actually, I used my calendar section the least and I have definitely learned my lesson there!!

One thing I learned that seems obvious now is that when decorating my dividers pages, don't use thick stickers or embellishments! It's impossible to write on the previous pages with all those bumps!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
orangesforadam....very good tip about the divider pages...we have to balance pretty with practical

DebbieGall

Retire Member
Jul 20, 2008
I started using a smaller 1 inch binder last year as a working binder ans keep everything else in mu big one that I never use.
I have the one where you can fold the cover back. It woks better on my lap that way

I don't keep enough in it to use dividers, If I make it that big and complicated then I won't use it.
I actually used it last year and the whole holiday season went so smooth ( a first )

I also have a 1 inch one for Halloween

Christmas Paper

MHH Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hi Ladies, Well here we are almost in the Christmas Season. I've been getting ready for weeks, got a lot done so far, Thanks to my Christmas Notebook. I already wrote out 72 Christmas Cards, at night when watching t.v. In my Christmas Notebook I have the Following: Poems, To do Lists, Addresses, Christmas Magnet Inventory, Christmas Books I've read, Monthly Calendars Sept-Dec & all Important Dates marked on them, when Hanukkah is, Christmas Fairs & where they are, Christmas Books I want to read, My China, Crystal, & Flatware Inventory, Linens I have for Christmas-Tablecloths & sizes, Christmas Inventory from previous year of Cards, Stamps, Wrap Paper, Boxes, etc. Will add more stuff as time goes by but so far this stuff has helped.